Sportsound Watch

Guest JTS98
4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think the way this title has been celebrated by both the club and the Celtic fans has been embarassing, and a club with a bit more class would have accepted the title in a slightly more toned down manner. But it’s the Old Firm,  where all that matters is 9, 10 and 20s in a row. 

2) I always feel it’s a bit like when you play Football Manager, and you get a team like Dundee United challenging to win the title and it’s quite exciting, then you win the title for the first time and your quite pleased with yourself. Then you win the next 3 titles in a row, winning almost every game and all of a sudden it’s mind numbingly boring and you move on.

1) Agree completely. It's obviously all marketing, but it's a bit cringey to watch Celtic's 'business as usual, nothing unusual going on here' title celebrations.

2) I've thought this about all Old Firm fans for years. How can they be bothered? If I was a Celtic fan in the current situation, I'd have binned it years ago. I really don't see the fun in paying money and supporting a team when you know they're going to win.

10 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I've thought this about all Old Firm fans for years. How can they be bothered? If I was a Celtic fan in the current situation, I'd have binned it years ago. I really don't see the fun in paying money and supporting a team when you know they're going to win.

Unfortunately we share a country wheremore than 50% of the football supporting population regard winning 9 titles in a row as the pinnacle of sporting achievement.

I still have friends who go to Parkhead every single week to watch them win 3,4,5 nil against teams with 1/20th of their wage budget. It’s genuinely not a case of IF they will win, but how long it will take them to score and by how many. 

Edited just to say, I used to go to games at Parkhead and actively support Celtic, from the age of about 9 until 15. I’ve been amongst that support, half heartedly cheering the 5th goal against teams in the 55th minute, watching the defenders of the opposing team crumbling infront of you as Celtic pass the ball into the net again. But I quickly realised there was no joy in that, and I stopped going to any football at all until I became friends with a St. Mirren supporter at University. It was a very strange feeling at those first few games sitting amongst a support that had turned up not expecting to win, infact most times they were expected to lose, but just being in the stands giving the team their support. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Guest JTS98
5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Unfortunately we share a country wheremore than 50% of the football supporting population regard winning 9 titles in a row as the pinnacle of sporting achievement.

I still have friends who go to Parkhead every single week to watch them win 3,4,5 nil against teams with 1/20th of their wage budget. It’s genuinely not a case of IF they will win, but how long it will take them to score and by how many. 

I've got friends who do the same.

I don't understand it is a way to spend your free time.

8 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I've got friends who do the same.

I don't understand it is a way to spend your free time.

I have a good mix of Rangers and Celtic supporting friends. The one thing that unites them is that they very rarely stay at a home game past 70 minutes. Infact 2 of my Rangers supporting friends got a bus up to Pittodrie earlier in the season, and didn’t bother getting off the bus, they sat and watched the game on SkyGo on their phone. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I have a good mix of Rangers and Celtic supporting friends. The one thing that unites them is that they very rarely stay at a home game past 70 minutes. Infact 2 of my Rangers supporting friends got a bus up to Pittodrie earlier in the season, and didn’t bother getting off the bus, they sat and watched the game on SkyGo on their phone. 

Fair play to you man.  Often wondered what it would feel like waking up on Saterday knowing you're going to win? That's not football to me, that sounds so sterile and flat, I couldn't be fucked getting excited for that.

Well done for seeing the light, not many OF "fans" ever do.

Sort that fucking username out tho, your one of us now, not one of them.

51 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Fair play to you man.  Often wondered what it would feel like waking up on Saterday knowing you're going to win? That's not football to me, that sounds so sterile and flat, I couldn't be fucked getting excited for that.

Well done for seeing the light, not many OF "fans" ever do.

Sort that fucking username out tho, your one of us now, not one of them.

I just went and checked my profile and I joined this forum in 2008, (which is absolutely mental, certainly doesn’t feel like 12 years ago), and I made this user name because at the time I would probably have classed myself as a Celtic fan but even in 2008 I hadn’t been to a Celtic game for 5 years at least. If I could change the user name I would. 

I’m not trying to act as some sort of martyr for turning my back to Celtic, I just genuinely felt bored. Bored while at the game, bored listening to other Celtic fans and bored celebrating achievements which deep down I knew to be hollow. As you said in your post there’s not much joy to be had when you can wake up on a Saturday morning knowing your going to win, the only question is by how many. I started going to a few St. Mirren games with my pal at the time when St. Mirren were bottom of the Championship, and I was at games where they were getting outplayed by Dumbarton, Raith Rovers etc. but that was when I realised what it was just to support your team. I wouldn’t disrespect other St. Mirren fans by calling myself a true fan but if I was pushed to say what team I support now it would be them. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I only listened for 15 minutes, so if he said that then fair enough, at least one person has been able to see it. Is it Gordon Duncan that’s a Motherwell fan? Going by the snippets I’ve heard of him I would imagine he’s a Motherwell fan in the same way Chick Young is a St. Mirren fan. 

Naa Gordon Duncan is a genuine ‘Well fan. He did a podcast with @AndyRoss a few weeks ago where they discussed it all - and actually covered his thoughts on when callers, twitter users etc call him a closet Celtic/Rangers fan. 

Edited by dezz

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I just went and checked my profile and I joined this forum in 2008, (which is absolutely mental, certainly doesn’t feel like 12 years ago), and I made this user name because at the time I would probably have classed myself as a Celtic fan but even in 2008 I hadn’t been to a Celtic game for 5 years at least. If I could change the user name I would. 

I’m not trying to act as some sort of martyr for turning my back to Celtic, I just genuinely felt bored. Bored while at the game, bored listening to other Celtic fans and bored celebrating achievements which deep down I knew to be hollow. As you said in your post there’s not much joy to be had when you can wake up on a Saturday morning knowing your going to win, the only question is by how many. I started going to a few St. Mirren games with my pal at the time when St. Mirren were bottom of the Championship, and I was at games where they were getting outplayed by Dumbarton, Raith Rovers etc. but that was when I realised what it was just to support your team. I wouldn’t disrespect other St. Mirren fans by calling myself a true fan but if I was pushed to say what team I support now it would be them. 

Somebody give this man a new username.

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't doubt that Chick Young is a St Mirren fan.

I also don't doubt that he's a Sevco fan, and was a fan of the old, dead Rangers.

Liam McLeod is an Aberdeen fan but you wouldn't think that listening to him commentate on Celtic games.

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Was listening to Clyde phone in on the way home from work yesterday and some mutant, Stewart from Renfrew I think it was, phoned in to say that Celtic getting the potential Champions League money along with being ‘given’ the title, was unfair to Rangers as they are trying to close the financial gap. When he was asked how he would dish out the European places apart from using the league standing, he said Doncaster got paid enough money to come up with something. 

To the surprise of nobody, none of the half wits on Clyde brought up the fact that Motherwell can actually still catch Rangers for 2nd place. Admittedly it would need Rangers to lose every remaining game and for Motherwell to win them all, but still a mathematic possibility, as has been Rangers fans argument for the past few weeks. I’m sure that argument hasn’t even registered in the heads of any Clyde pundit, or Sportsound for that matter. It’s genuinely saddening in this country that every single matter is reduced to Rangers V Celtic, the pundits actively champion it. 

I also read the other day that the Old Firm take turns annually of having a member on the SPFL board... does that not seem absolutely absurd to anyone else? Why not Hearts and Hibs taking turns each for a seat? Aberdeen and Dundee United? Kilmarnock and Ayr? St Mirren and Morton? The game panders to these two clubs at every turn and all we hear from their mutant supporters is that everyone and everything is out to get them. 

They take turns annually at putting forward a representative for election to the SPFL Board - all 12 teams vote on who their 3 reps should be 

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Liam McLeod is an Aberdeen fan but you wouldn't think that listening to him commentate on Celtic games.

Rob McLean claimed to be a Ross County fan on Off The Ball the other week.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Rob McLean claimed to be a Ross County fan on Off The Ball the other week.

He is. He’s never hid the fact. Think he’s from Invergordon originally.