The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

In recent times, aye. Trouble is I'm so fecking old, when I started watching Queens in the early 70s Arbroath were in the top division ... as were East Fife and Clyde. Keep it going lads, keep it going for all the Diddy clubs. 👍

I’m old enough to remember those days too… just. My first clear football memory was watching the highlights of Arbroath beating Rangers at Ibrox in February 1974.

However, football in Scotland was a very different beast back then, two divisions, two up two down, many more part time players even at the bigger teams and not nearly so money driven/dependent as it is now. If we somehow make it to the premier then that would far and away eclipse any of our previous stints in the top division. Because of that I would argue that what we’ve done this season is very, very close to our best season ever.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

However, football in Scotland was a very different beast back then, two divisions, two up two down, many more part time players even at the bigger teams and not nearly so money driven/dependent as it is now. If we somehow make it to the premier then that would far and away eclipse any of our previous stints in the top division. Because of that I would argue that what we’ve done this season is very, very close to our best season ever.

A lot of truth in what you say there. Back then the top league wasn't the cartel it is now, designed to keep the minnows in their place. Hope you breach the glass ceiling so to speak.

You've got a guaranteed 3pts coming up at Gayfield next week, our season's now in the bin.

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I’m old enough to remember those days too… just. My first clear football memory was watching the highlights of Arbroath beating Rangers at Ibrox in February 1974.

Around the same time as as a 3-3 draw with Celtic and a Derek Rylance hatrick. ??. ...to this day I don't know the facts behind this  - I think it's true 

League cup section at the start of the season 

Edited by DUAFC

Around the same time as as a 3-3 draw with Celtic and a Derek Rylance hatrick. ??. ...to this day I don't know the facts behind this  - I think it's true 
League cup section at the start of the season 

Yes. It was an away fixture in the old league cup sections. If I remember correctly it wasn’t at Celtic Park as it was getting something done to it. Derek Rylance scored a hat trick and an own goal.

Does anyone remember Tommy Walker ?
Great midfielder  (do such species still exist.. [emoji23]) I think we sold him to Airdrie for 20k.
He was my PE teacher and top guy !!

I remember seeing Tommy Walker playing for us and he did sign for Airdrie who were a top team back then. We weren’t too shabby either.

7 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Great midfielder  (do such species still exist.. 😂) I think we sold him to Airdrie for 20k.

My work used to take me to Islay on a regular basis. Peter Maclennan, the owner of the Bowmore Hotel, played for Airdrie with Tommy Walker & they were great pals at the time, apparently. 

Great midfielder  (do such species still exist.. [emoji23]) I think we sold him to Airdrie for 20k.

Yes I do. He was an Arbroath lad. His little sister was in my class at Hayshead. He played for Scotland schoolboys and I believe scored the winning goal against England. Debuted for Arbroath as a teenager (16?) and starred in centre midfield for a season. He was pure class. He then went to Airdrie as you say and I was surprised his career didn’t progress. I think he carried on at college/University so maybe that had an impact.

Yes I do. He was an Arbroath lad. His little sister was in my class at Hayshead. He played for Scotland schoolboys and I believe scored the winning goal against England. Debuted for Arbroath as a teenager (16?) and starred in centre midfield for a season. He was pure class. He then went to Airdrie as you say and I was surprised his career didn’t progress. I think he carried on at college/University so maybe that had an impact.

Wikipedia says I’m a bit wrong. 74 matches and 17 goals before he went to Airdrie and another 20 matches when he came back on loan in 1973-74.

2nd place almost secured for us now.

Killie away to ICT next week is going to be crucial.

Killie win and they could be crowned champions if we lose at home to QotS.

ICT need to win to secure the playoffs and close the gap to us if we lose.

ICT win and an Arbroath win....... showdown at Killie.

11 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

To only lose 4 games All season is a phenomenal achievement. Outstanding effort. 

Still think 3 wins will win us the league but looks a tall order to win at killie, 2nd almost confirmed 

I realise I’ve been a troll underneath the Arbroath bridge of late, but genuinely, to only lose 4 games all season is unreal. Chapeau! An absolute dream season, no matter what happens. And believe me, there isn’t a single Kilmarnock fan who thinks this is over. 

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

To only lose 4 games All season is a phenomenal achievement. Outstanding effort. 

Still think 3 wins will win us the league but looks a tall order to win at killie, 2nd almost confirmed 

It is a great achievement, I have this niggling feeling that this league, as unpredictable as it is, was there to be won, by us

Can someone explain the playoffs - who plays the home leg first. Making travel plans - hopefully not needed.
3rd play 4th over 2 legs.
2nd plays the winner of those 2 over 2 legs.
Prem 11th play the winners over 2 legs.

If we finish 2nd we will be away the first leg, Tue 10 May, then home on the Fri 13th May.

We make it to the final we will be home on the Fri 20th then away Mon 23th.

Think I heard Hertz get £3m for finishing 3rd.

Based on an unauthenticated spreadsheet (for last season) I found, 2nd in the Championship should get about £600k with the winner getting about £750k.

Maybe treat these numbers with +/- 10%.

4 hours ago, ecto said:

It is a great achievement, I have this niggling feeling that this league, as unpredictable as it is, was there to be won, by us

Oh it's still far from done imo, they'll be at least one more twist before this seasons over.