The Arbroath Thread

I learned my lesson after saying Michael McKenna was a shite signing, albeit the jump is far bigger for this lad. 

The 9 players thing worries me slightly aswel, hopefully they are experienced players and not jobbers who have played 4 games for Stalybridge Celtic. Would imagine every team in the country will have trialists in over pre season.

8 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I learned my lesson after saying Michael McKenna was a shite signing, albeit the jump is far bigger for this lad. 

The 9 players thing worries me slightly aswel, hopefully they are experienced players and not jobbers who have played 4 games for Stalybridge Celtic. Would imagine every team in the country will have trialists in over pre season.

I think that’s the crux of it for me - I am excited by the thought of him but I am realistic with the jump in levels and also I am absolutely on board having another guy in like Patterson or Shanks and giving them a chance as long as that is it - we run with a small squad and can’t carry too many players like that. The 9 players thing is giving me the fear we are about to see a repeat of last year and have several of them in the squad come kick off

14 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I wasn't at the game but going by these highlights he looks as if he'll be able to make the jump up in levels.

Right winger who likes to cut in on his left foot. 

He was billed as Linlithgow’s big threat ahead of that game and he was anonymous after he fluffed a chance in the first 10 minutes (admittedly a lovely bit of skill to create the chance) but I didn’t see anything in that game to suggest he was a potential Championship player. I also appreciate being an attacker in a game where your team is being dominated for 80 minutes is a pretty thankless task and difficult to make an impression.

My main recollection from that game was Jamie Gullan, who is a decent footballer but not a number 9, looking like prime Brazilian Ronaldo through the middle bullying the defence with his pace and power which is probably an indication of the defences at that level.

Not to write him off completely, Arbroath fans are right to give him a chance but they are correct it is a huge step up and more likely to be another Dylan Paterson or Kieran Shanks than the next Bobby Linn. However, it’s highly unlikely he’s going to be Arbroath’s first choice in the attacking areas so as long as there is more established quality to come, he is well worth a punt as relatively cheap squad filler that could develop into something more. There is a spark of something there.

Edited by R.R.FC

New signing certainly has a track record of scoring goals and taking players on - it's big jump for him in the Championship with higher expectations, but we are giving him an opportunity and platform to prove he is good enough at this level.

Lets give him a few games to settle in and gel into the squad - he will be eager to impress.

19 hours ago, ecto said:

When Jacobs was re-signed it was obvious Hetherington wasn’t coming 

I liked Hetherington as a player and he could cover at left back if required so disappointed he has decided to sign for Alloa, also surprised as i thought players wanted to play at the highest level?

4 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I liked Hetherington as a player and he could cover at left back if required so disappointed he has decided to sign for Alloa, also surprised as i thought players wanted to play at the highest level?

Guys 29 year old I am sure he’s not overly fussed whether he’s in the Championship or League 1 at this stage of his career as a part time player he will just be wanting to enjoy his football and he’s well loved and has a whole load of mates at Alloa. Can totally understand his decision I would probably do the same 

Lets give the guy a chance, I can think of many players through the years who we have signed from the junior ranks who have been eventually transferred from Arbroath to teams above for relative sums of money or have stayed with us and shone for seasons, eg; Billy Pirie ,Huntly then to Dundee,,Dennis Bruce, Aberdeen juniors, Peter Millar, Forth Wanders then to Motherwell, Joe Carson ,Glasgow juiniors then to Motherwell, ? Mitctchell , Aberdeen juniors then to Dunfermline, Jimmy Jack ,Lochee Harp, P. Tosh, Mark McWalter and Tommy Walker all Arbroath Lads Club. etc etc

So let us wait and see.

12 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

Lets give the guy a chance, I can think of many players through the years who we have signed from the junior ranks who have been eventually transferred from Arbroath to teams above for relative sums of money or have stayed with us and shone for seasons, eg; Billy Pirie ,Huntly then to Dundee,,Dennis Bruce, Aberdeen juniors, Peter Millar, Forth Wanders then to Motherwell, Joe Carson ,Glasgow juiniors then to Motherwell, ? Mitctchell , Aberdeen juniors then to Dunfermline, Jimmy Jack ,Lochee Harp, P. Tosh, Mark McWalter and Tommy Walker all Arbroath Lads Club. etc etc

So let us wait and see.

What about recent ones 

Just now, Housecaptain said:

I

In some ways you may be missing the point, however I would suggest Simon Murray who we signed from Tayport.

Il give you simon Murray. But what about Michael Wallace, Dylan Paterson& David DiMilta off the top of my head?

EoS follower here so seen Stowe a few times in various games....

If you need pace, the lad has loads of it. If you play him down the wings he will create chances. The jump in level, I'd see him now more as a maker than a taker. 

If defences give him any sort of space, his left foot will deliver a perfect ball. He does like to run with the ball and take players on with skill, but that will certainly be more difficult for him at the higher level and against full timers... so may end up relying on his pace more.

One little caution... doesn't track back or help out in the defence much... but suspect that may be something your coaching team work on with him.

At the very least, you've got a cracking guy to bring off the bench and take the ball for a run in last 10 mins to hang on for 1 goal wins, etc

It’s an exciting prospect there is no doubt and I think if it was this time last year before the disaster unfolded I think we’d have all been buzzing like we were with Shanks - but I am hoping for much more coming up, much more - some established and proven players - there is absolutely no reason why we cannot do this 

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Il give you simon Murray. But what about Michael Wallace, Dylan Paterson& David DiMilta off the top of my head?

So what ,my point was that there are juniors out there that are good enough, it is just a matter of Arbroath F C convincing them to sign for us .

We both support the same team and aspire for them to do well and are both allowed to have our own opinions . You can continue with this conversation if you wish but I will not entering into a slagging match any further.

Let us see how the player develops before we judge.

How is everyone forgetting Bobby Linn. We signed him from the juniors! I know that was totally different. 

Seriously though there is certainly quality at these levels, the main thing is giving them a proper chance. We have been lacking players with flair in the team and this addition seems like a positive move. He's not a total youngster either so hopefully won't be treated as such. 

Going by the Linlithgow thread East Kilbride and Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry’s £££££ had bid money for him so that’s a very good sign for me - they’ll know they leagues very well and are trying to bankroll their way into the leagues. Obviously had him as a huge target 

1 hour ago, Housecaptain said:

So what ,my point was that there are juniors out there that are good enough, it is just a matter of Arbroath F C convincing them to sign for us .

We both support the same team and aspire for them to do well and are both allowed to have our own opinions . You can continue with this conversation if you wish but I will not entering into a slagging match any further.

Let us see how the player develops before we judge.

So you’ve clearly lost the argument and thrown your toys out the pram. 

Football has changed massively since the 70s and you know that. 

47 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Going by the Linlithgow thread East Kilbride and Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry’s £££££ had bid money for him so that’s a very good sign for me - they’ll know they leagues very well and are trying to bankroll their way into the leagues. Obviously had him as a huge target 

EK seem to be signing the Darvel team who underachieved last season.