The Arbroath Thread

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv never seen us ever announce we have trialists coming in. It will be a case of hopefully their names being on the team sheet at the Glebe next week and then we can do a Google search 

They’re only trialists, ffs, we’re toast 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

All staying up Seaton Caravan Park for a couple of weeks I think. 

Nice

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv never seen us ever announce we have trialists coming in. It will be a case of hopefully their names being on the team sheet at the Glebe next week and then we can do a Google search 

They don’t announce names do they? Mind last year me and @Lichtie78 managed to work out Nick Dembele and Eze because we heard their names being shouted, went on Twitter and saw that Nouble was following them. That brought about the Noubles mates thing on here. It’ll just say Trialist I think. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

45 minutes ago, ecto said:

The talents all gone, it’s naive to think otherwise, if we are looking at trialists and loanees to fill the squad, then we have learned nothing from last season’ debacle 

So the talents all gone. You don't want trialists or loanees. What do you suggest then ???? We have had some great loanees over the years by the way.

1 minute ago, Hayshead2 said:

So the talents all gone. You don't want trialists or loanees. What do you suggest then ???? We have had some great loanees over the years by the way.

I quite like the loanees, think we used them terribly last year though. I just think the loans are always a proper gamble and if we have already gambled on a guy from Linlithgow and a couple of random trialists then it gives you the fear. 

If (and it’s a big IF) we do go down the same route as last year we might get lucky and unearth a good player or two. However it’s extremely dangerous and proves to me that the management haven’t learned much from their mistakes of last season. The thought of relying on loans and a raft of English non league trialists fills me with dread. Yes we’ve had some great loans over the years but with the increase in match day squads/substitutions, means clubs higher up the food chain aren’t loaning out the quality players they once were.

16 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

We shouldn’t need trialists, we are a championship club,  we should be able to attract players, surely, although I agree we have had some fine loanees, we have also had some utter dogs, although I never actually said I didn’t want loanees, I don’t want loanees like the garbage we signed last summer 

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I quite like the loanees, think we used them terribly last year though. I just think the loans are always a proper gamble and if we have already gambled on a guy from Linlithgow and a couple of random trialists then it gives you the fear. 

We didn’t use terribly, they were in the main, terrible

1 minute ago, ecto said:

We shouldn’t need trialists, we are a championship club,  we should be able to attract players, surely, although I agree we have had some fine loanees, we have also had some utter dogs, although I never actually said I didn’t want loanees, I don’t want loanees like the garbage we signed last summer 

This is just it. We are in the Championship. Any player that’s any use and capable of playing in this league and being good in it will have several offers on the table and would have no need or desire to come on trial here. They’d have their pick of clubs. If we sell guys from England on the Nouble or Akinyemi route or whatever then maybe that’ll attract some guys to take a shot at us but it is such a long shot for me and I canna be bothered with it at all. 

2 hours ago, ecto said:

The talents all gone,

Are you suggesting that no more talented players will be signing for Championship clubs this season ?

I'm no talent scout, but I am sure a few more talented players will be signing for Championship clubs before the start of the season - the window is wide open.

34 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Are you suggesting that no more talented players will be signing for Championship clubs this season ?

I'm no talent scout, but I am sure a few more talented players will be signing for Championship clubs before the start of the season - the window is wide open.

Hope you’re right, but me, am going to remain sceptical, I think we’ve went head first into the same mistakes, we made last summer 

48 minutes ago, ecto said:

Hope you’re right, but me, am going to remain sceptical, I think we’ve went head first into the same mistakes, we made last summer 

100%.

Clearly no lessons learned from last season.

Sounds like we’ve ‘scouted’ these guys this time around instead of just taking anybody and their dug up but it’s round 2 of trying to get some ‘hybrid’ Full Time players up here it seems. So looks like they’ve watched them play and think they’re all good enough but they want them in training to see what their attitudes are like

I really hope they’re nowhere near as shite as last year 

If you go into the DNA of our signing strategy, where I feel we got back into that in the second part of last season, we have done well over the years in getting the best out of players and bringing them on with the club.  There are 5 or 6 who have grown with the Club and Mark is a player we have identified who we think fits that bill.

We learned a lot from last season.  You aren’t going anywhere in life if you don’t learn.  We have spent a lot of time with the recruitment team identifying players and we have 9 players coming in to training over the next few weeks that we all think can play in our team and we just have to figure out if they have the attitude if they can fit into our Arbroath team.  It’s an exciting time and we can’t wait to get started again.”

Edited by 1320Lichtie

We learned a lot from last season.  You aren’t going anywhere in life if you don’t learn.  We have spent a lot of time with the recruitment team identifying players and we have 9 players coming in to training over the next few weeks that we all think can play in our team and we just have to figure out if they have the attitude if they can fit into our Arbroath team.  It’s an exciting time and we can’t wait to get started again.”

Pinks comments