The Arbroath Thread

56 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Regarding trialists.

Absolutely we should be looking at them. Problem is we need these players to come in and make a difference to our squad straight away. We offer them no time to develop if they show any sign of weakness to their game.

With no reserve/development team for a player to play games in and work on gaining match fitness and sharpness, they are a basically in a sink or swim situation.

But as i said these players are in a sink or swim situation. And we must be resigned to the fact if we do sign these remaining 2 trialiste they might turn out to be duff signings in the long run.

But then again they could be amazing.

I agree with all of this, it got me wondering, should we have a bigger squad and a reserve team?

If we were able to give some of our squad players regular games to keep them sharp, and also give our few younger players and trialists a chance to play within the management's system, would it help us?

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

This might sound a bit daft but are we as a club at a point where trialists aren’t any use for us? We are an established championship side now and should have championship quality players. If these guys who are coming in don’t already have a deal at other clubs then surely they aren’t good enough for us. 

I hope that makes sense 

Might be different even in the last few years with increased wyscout stuff etc but we signed Abdul Osman and Mustapha Dumbuya after appearing as trialists when we were in the Premiership and both were great (at first). 

Osman was in a game with 2 or 3 other trialists as well. 

Is there any reason we don't actually put the charity on the kit somewhere? Same with the Penumbra one last season. 

I remember Ewan Murray played as a trialist for us in League 2 and played like humpty dumpty. It is sometimes hard to judge over a few games especially if not match fit. 

46 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

A reserve team would significantly reduce our current wage budget so no chance of that happening 

Its not like we are poor and struggling to balance the books. Over £1m in the bank just now.

Just now, RedLichtie86 said:

Its not like we are poor and struggling to balance the books. Over £1m in the bank just now.

I’d rather we just spent money on actual players for first team than spunk money on more staff and players that might never make the cut at the club. Loads of full time clubs struggle to afford reserve or even youth teams 

18 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

That money is going to sustain the club for years to come, far to easy to piss it away 

12 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Just had a thought (dangerous i know) regarding the new kit. Is there a support Ukraine element towards it with the choice of colour?!

It’s just the colours of the Guide Dogs Scotland charity no?

Edited by Aidan

28 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Just had a thought (dangerous i know) regarding the new kit. Is there a support Ukraine element towards it with the choice of colour?!

Nope. It’s the colours of the guide dogs charity 

Ricky Little 🇱🇻

Signed - 14th June 2013
Debut - 6th July Vs Craigroyston
Competitive Debut - 27th July Vs Stenhousemuir 
Apperances - 364
Goals - 13
Honours - 2016/17 League 2 Winner & 2018/19 League 1 Winner

Legend, Hero, Warrior & Leader

Let’s turn up in numbers and show this incredible servant the appreciation he so richly deserves 🇱🇻

IMG_7292.jpeg

Only got second half but McIntosh looks like he will do ok,

Wouldn't have any of the trialists and Jacobs looks the same as last season,

People can say it's a friendly but unless there is massive improvement in the transfer market its gonna be a long season

Edited by lichtiekev