The Arbroath Thread

34 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I have already resigned myself to long and hard season where we ultimately finish bottom.

Last seasons performances on and off the pitch have given me little to no hope for this season. Why?

Because despite all we have achieved up until Jan 2022, we have regressed by a fair bit.

Jan 22, we were riding high yet we failed to build on the momentum we had. Failed to strengthen sufficently and in the end it cost us the title. But that happens in football.

Come summer 22 we had a huge influx of Season Ticket holders, an abundance of positivity going into the season. Did we dare dream of a title challenge or aim for promotion playoffs. Surely we could build upon this squad and achieve that.

But what did we end up with? Bargain basement signings, fallouts within the squad with players leaving. A season where we scored 11, yes 11, fucking goals at home. Tactics, selections and subs all utter pish for the most part. Only by grace of Cove and Hamilton being just marginally worse than us did we stay up.

Does anyone mind Dick saying the fans need to get a grip? This on the back of another poor performance where i believe our only attacking threat in Linn was subbed for Corfe and we booed him. Or when the fans sung Linns name that it "gets on his tits" 

As soon as Jan 23 came Linn was relegated to the bench barely to be seen as Dick was making it clear he was in charge. Not the fans. He knows best..... Yet we still struggled and we all knew Linn would have given us his all and offered far more attacking threat than any other player that played LW. 

And Jan 23 was an ok transfer window with the additions of Balde and Hetherington. El Mhanni was a 1 game wonder. Ardarkwa was injured for a good chunk. And Dow is pretty usless in the final third.

So we stayed up. Dick stayed. New recruitment team was announced. Into another transfer window we went.

Then the fun begins. A few decent signings announced. Then the trialists come and all hell breaks loose. Most are released after less than 2 weeks yet we were told they had all been scouted and believed to be good enough to play for us. IF that was the case infind it hard to believe they would have been punted so quickly.

We do make a few more encouraging signings........ and some questionable signings. Yet it was clear as day that we had 2 huge gaps in the squad. LB and DM. Roles we have needed covered/filled since Apr 23 and May 22. Why was this allowed to happen? Incompetence?

And then the League Cup starts. Same shit different season.

Weak in the midfield, formations that are all over the shop with players playing out of posititon looking like they dont want to be on the pitch. At one point only having 1 fucking defender in the squad because we have been too stupid to have any proper cover. We are like a pub side scrambling to put a side together. I thought we were the best part time club in the country but still have only 4 defenders in our squad. 4!!! And thia has been a common theme for years now. Thats like playing russiun roulette with 5 bullets in the gun and putting on a kevlar vest thinking it will all be ok. 

And thennwe come to our opening match.

Beyond belief that we praticaly went 4-2-4 with a RW at LB, 2 midgets in CM and a gung ho attitude which left us so exposed at the back he waited until we were 4-0 down before making any change to the formation or squad. That game was an embarrasment of failures from Dick. And its not the first time we have seriously questioned his tactics or selections over the past 14 months.

Now do i see things getting better. Yes. The squad is stronger. But only marginally. Our defence is fragile as we have no LB and is too exposed due to our midfield being so weak. Our attack is struggling as we lack any sort of creativity, this despite having Allan on the bench that looked good in preseason as the attackers were making great runs for his passes.

We still need 4 players mimimum. LB, DM and a backup DM and a RB/CB to challenge the other defenders for places.

Do i see Dick lasting the season....... unless we make signings and get results to keep us within touching distance of safety. No

Sorry for the long read.

Enjoyed that read and agreeing with the most of it.

I’ll add my opinion in now on the current situation. 

i was all for giving the management team the benefit of the doubt at the end of the last season to rectify the issues from The previous season. 

but now I think the management team should of stood down. We had a good nucleus of a solid squad but enough players needing signed for a small rebuild giving a new manager some movement to work with and put their own stamp on things. Who would have been keen on the job ? I don’t know.

this season we’ve made some decent signings (that were clearly needed.. attackers) but some glaring issues haven't been rectified and they’ve had 5/6 months knowing this (a left back and defensive cover) We’ve went into a cup campaign knowing qualifications could make us some good money with barely any fit defenders and an unbalanced squad and then went into a league campaign which will be our toughest in the same state. We don’t know our current best starting 11 and the squad doesn’t seem itself (don’t know what it is but somethings not right). The promoted teams already looking settled into the championship after good cup campaigns and both getting a win early in the league will boost there confidence and push them on where as we are still sorting out issues out. And of course the usual dick shenanigans of suspect tactics, subs and general team selections. Most teams seem to be settled with their transfer business and just be looking to add to the squads where as we need specific players in specific positions.

i don’t doubt they are trying to sort these issues but maybe it was possibly best to part ways after keeping us up after a very difficult season and starting this season afresh. I suppose time will tell. 

eta - I’m not saying for him to be sacked now this is just my opinion 

Edited by SmokeyJoe

22 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If I could be bothered right now, I'd just quote one of the many posts I made over the last year where I said that I felt the management were not getting the best out of the players we had.  

I haven't changed my mind at any point.  It’s why I get so annoyed with all the calls to chuck Allan (and others) on the scrapheap.  He's a quality player that the management aren't getting the best out of.

Allan was a quality player, not any longer, made one contribution of note last season, one, would suggest he thinks he wouldn’t get the same money elsewhere, probably thinks he’ll retire at the end of the season, so sits on our bench, no bothered whether he plays or not, collecting his wedge, of course this is only my personal opinion

or Johnstone Burgh appear to have wads  of cash, maybe they will swoop in and put Scott Allan’s time at Gayfield out of its misery 

10 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Sacking a manager two games into a season is, frankly, absurd and is for clubs that are in turmoil. Any manager who starts a season should be given, at least, the first 9 games and anything less reflects very badly on the club in question.

In my opinion there are 'right' and 'wrong' stages in a season to sack a manager, unless there are underlying issues at play. Early/ Mid October after the first quarter, late November in order to get a new manager in and give them some time to assess things prior to January, and late February prior to the last quarter.

Sacking managers during transfer windows is usually a bit of a nonsense in my opinion. You either have a manager and back them to do their thing during that time or you make a change prior to it to give someone you think better positioned the job.

Between now and October will form my opinion on what's best for us going forward for the rest of the campaign, as it would do in any given season.

All well and good but what if we get to 5 or 6 games (never mind 9) with 0 or a small handful of points, in danger of being cut adrift and with no sign of performances improving significantly? Of course it may (hopefully) not happen but what if it does? No action then?

Oh and with Campbell it’s not people suggesting him being sacked after 2 or 3 games is it? In practice he was given most of last season, pre-season, the league cup + 2 league games so far this season to rectify things - there’s not another manager in Scotland who would have (deservedly) got that time.

Ok, you could argue that safety last season was a success but, let’s be honest, us staying up was more to do with Cove and Accies failings than us. A luxury we're unlikely to have this season.

There has to be a cut-off point and we absolutely cannot afford to be ok with the potential of being adrift by October.

As for Allan. He is our most creative player. Last season we were desperately fighting to stay up but he had no place in the team as we had no attacking players other than Linn that were able to either make the runs or be in position to recieve the ball.

This season we have more players capable to make the runs and be in position but have no defensive players able to do the dirty work an free him up to make the attacking passes.

Neither situation is Allans fault. That comes down to tactics, recruitment and selection.

We bought a Ferrari and took the wheels off it yet we are wondering why its not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I have already resigned myself to long and hard season where we ultimately finish bottom.

Last seasons performances on and off the pitch have given me little to no hope for this season. Why?

Because despite all we have achieved up until Jan 2022, we have regressed by a fair bit.

Jan 22, we were riding high yet we failed to build on the momentum we had. Failed to strengthen sufficently and in the end it cost us the title. But that happens in football.

Come summer 22 we had a huge influx of Season Ticket holders, an abundance of positivity going into the season. Did we dare dream of a title challenge or aim for promotion playoffs. Surely we could build upon this squad and achieve that.

But what did we end up with? Bargain basement signings, fallouts within the squad with players leaving. A season where we scored 11, yes 11, fucking goals at home. Tactics, selections and subs all utter pish for the most part. Only by grace of Cove and Hamilton being just marginally worse than us did we stay up.

Does anyone mind Dick saying the fans need to get a grip? This on the back of another poor performance where i believe our only attacking threat in Linn was subbed for Corfe and we booed him. Or when the fans sung Linns name that it "gets on his tits" 

As soon as Jan 23 came Linn was relegated to the bench barely to be seen as Dick was making it clear he was in charge. Not the fans. He knows best..... Yet we still struggled and we all knew Linn would have given us his all and offered far more attacking threat than any other player that played LW. 

And Jan 23 was an ok transfer window with the additions of Balde and Hetherington. El Mhanni was a 1 game wonder. Ardarkwa was injured for a good chunk. And Dow is pretty usless in the final third.

So we stayed up. Dick stayed. New recruitment team was announced. Into another transfer window we went.

Then the fun begins. A few decent signings announced. Then the trialists come and all hell breaks loose. Most are released after less than 2 weeks yet we were told they had all been scouted and believed to be good enough to play for us. IF that was the case infind it hard to believe they would have been punted so quickly.

We do make a few more encouraging signings........ and some questionable signings. Yet it was clear as day that we had 2 huge gaps in the squad. LB and DM. Roles we have needed covered/filled since Apr 23 and May 22. Why was this allowed to happen? Incompetence?

And then the League Cup starts. Same shit different season.

Weak in the midfield, formations that are all over the shop with players playing out of posititon looking like they dont want to be on the pitch. At one point only having 1 fucking defender in the squad because we have been too stupid to have any proper cover. We are like a pub side scrambling to put a side together. I thought we were the best part time club in the country but still have only 4 defenders in our squad. 4!!! And thia has been a common theme for years now. Thats like playing russiun roulette with 5 bullets in the gun and putting on a kevlar vest thinking it will all be ok. 

And thennwe come to our opening match.

Beyond belief that we praticaly went 4-2-4 with a RW at LB, 2 midgets in CM and a gung ho attitude which left us so exposed at the back he waited until we were 4-0 down before making any change to the formation or squad. That game was an embarrasment of failures from Dick. And its not the first time we have seriously questioned his tactics or selections over the past 14 months.

Now do i see things getting better. Yes. The squad is stronger. But only marginally. Our defence is fragile as we have no LB and is too exposed due to our midfield being so weak. Our attack is struggling as we lack any sort of creativity, this despite having Allan on the bench that looked good in preseason as the attackers were making great runs for his passes.

We still need 4 players mimimum. LB, DM and a backup DM and a RB/CB to challenge the other defenders for places.

Do i see Dick lasting the season....... unless we make signings and get results to keep us within touching distance of safety. No

Sorry for the long read.

I agree with a lot of this - I would say that I wouldn’t get rid of Dick just now and I didn’t want to before the season started either.

Thought he deserved his chance to put things right, so far I agree with your assessment - it’s been a total shambles so far in that LC section when we had perfect opportunity to build a wee bit of feel good factor back.

At this stage I would take a left back and defensive mid only at this point cause there’s no way we will sign 24 players (again why did we sign Jacobs / Norey / Turan?). What was the point. When this happens and the teams complete we will see what like then.

It’s been two poor performances thus far although today was slightly better, last week was absolute suicide setting up the way we did. However two poor performances against 2 of the best teams in the league. We need to address some issues and address them quickly. 

Our 1ast 12 competitive games we have won once, it isn't about just losing the first 2 games of the new season. I genuinely hope we can turn it round but it has to start on Saturday. Also i don't think there is very much difference between the rest of the teams in the league, we made Dundee United look like world beaters last Friday but they needed an injury time equaliser against Dunfermline yesterday.

Edited by keptie

I don't think anyone really wants to see Campbell sacked, he has brought so much success for us, look where we were to where we were to where we are now, 

But we really have had massive failings in the transfer market and the actual building of a squad for a while now, 

We have a better squad if players than we did last season no doubt, but there's a still massive failings In there, Surely you must sit down at start of season and decide on a formation and style of how you want to to play and what will work best and then build a team around that, However we seemed to have signed a load of guys and then to think "right how do we get the best 11 on the pitch" 

It's been said over and over but the lack of defenders is embarrassing...

What was the thinking around the midfield signings? There is no doubt good players for there but out of all of them is there any 2 players there that work together? 

There's something not right on the pitch and behind the scenes at the club and it needs addressing quickly or we will find ourself cut a drift very quickly,

We have had a very difficult start but if there had been a little more to be positive about fans might have a little more patience, 

8 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Ok, you could argue that safety last season was a success but, let’s be honest, us staying up was more to do with Cove and Accies failings than us. A luxury we're unlikely to have this season.

I mean you could argue Dick has failed the entire time he's been with us.

We only win League 2 because Forfar fucked it up. We only won League 1 because Raith were a let down that season. He ruined our chances of promotion to the Premiership two seasons ago and we only stayed up last year because of other teams and nothing to do with him? :rolleyes: He should've been sacked after that first season when we got lucky and Forfar gave us the league ;) 

Last season was a success, as we achieved our aim of staying up in the division. We were absolutely horrific in the first half of the campaign, and in the second half he turned things around (we went from horrific to just about passable in enough games :lol:and we managed to survive.

8 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

All well and good but what if we get to 5 or 6 games (never mind 9) with 0 or a small handful of points, in danger of being cut adrift and with no sign of performances improving significantly? Of course it may (hopefully) not happen but what if it does? No action then?

Oh and with Campbell it’s not people suggesting him being sacked after 2 or 3 games is it? In practice he was given most of last season, pre-season, the league cup + 2 league games so far this season to rectify things - there’s not another manager in Scotland who would have (deservedly) got that time.

Last year we had 1 point after 5 games and we stayed up.

Last season is a complete and utter irrelevance to any 'sacking' talk. It was a very different squad of players. I've no idea how a game last September in which we had a very different squad of players has any relevance to this present season and getting the best out of our current squad. The issues at present seem to be, for me, two problem positions and the fact we've not been able to yet put together a team with the correct shape/ balance to it. To give any manager a handful of league games to decide on their best team etc. is very unfair IMO.

A manager not knowing his best team/ being able to get the best out of them in early August is fairly common and understandable to a point. If you're going to be firing managers after half a dozen or less league games, you're going to find yourself a club that goes through 2/3 managers a season and become a bit of a shitshow. Like most clubs, our best periods have come when we've had stability management wise and our worst ones have been where we've gone through a manager a year on average.

In terms of 'not another manager in Scotland' getting the time Dick has..... John Rankin? Robbie Horn?

I say all of the above as someone who is really annoyed with yesterday and thinks we got almost everything wrong from a management point of view, as well as being someone who hasn't ever been overly enthused by Dick's cheeky chappy banterous persona. I also think it's not unlikely we're heading towards the end of Dick's time in charge of the club - however we started the season with him as our manager so lets get on with it and see where we're at a few months into the campaign before re-evaulating things. He could prove the vast majority of our fans wrong again, like he did just last season. :)

Edited by SimonLichtie

9 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

As for Allan. He is our most creative player. Last season we were desperately fighting to stay up but he had no place in the team as we had no attacking players other than Linn that were able to either make the runs or be in position to recieve the ball.

This season we have more players capable to make the runs and be in position but have no defensive players able to do the dirty work an free him up to make the attacking passes.

Neither situation is Allans fault. That comes down to tactics, recruitment and selection.

We bought a Ferrari and took the wheels off it yet we are wondering why its not going anywhere.

Couldnt agree more 

People quick to shoot Allan down, how can anyone be left to rot on a bench, ( we have no reserve team ) just the 15 bounce games against St Johnstone on a Monday night to get someone match fit. And then for some bizzare reason when he does get a game, and doesnt perform in that one game, hes finished, hes done etc

Mis-management if ive ever saw it.

Same with Linn, Gold, and so many other players who are utilised very sparingly at best but expected to just magically perform after like 6-7 weeks with no minutes at certain times.

This is not about loosing the first 2 games of the season, this crap has been going on for a long time, poor signings, poor tactics, poor management of the squad, and if anyone is aware, the training leaves a lot to be desired too. 

You ask why Slater cant beat the first man with a corner, id look at how often set pieces are practised at training, infact id ask what was actually being done at training full stop. 

This 70's style of management, using 12 players and leaving the rest to rot, hoping the players ability alone pulls them through isnt working at all. 

Your not telling me, Allan, Linn, and anyone else who has not been utilised properly can possibly be at fault, its weird how our creative players are often the ones who suffer. Is it really the players, or how they are being used thats the problem.

We have never been known for attacking flair, scoring lots of goals, dominating teams, and its because DC will not change, Arbroath have money in the bank, on paper a reasonable squad

This man took us to the championship by fluke, things went his way in order for us to go up.

This man fucked it up tactically in the second half of 2022 and blew our chance of promotion, it wasnt that Killie deserved it, we fucked it right up in the end.

Whilst i agree its mad to sack a manager 2 games into a season, how much credit does DC have in the bank, hes not known as a master tactician, he hasnt actually won too much in his years as a manager. 

Hes been binned my most clubs hes been at.

His win rate with Arbroath is 39% nearly as bad as any other stint hes had at any club, yet hes somehow got all this time.

I don't know if the above is sarcasm, because I agree with a lot of it...

However, he's the most successful manager we've ever had.  We've won 2 league titles, spent 5 years battling away in tier 2 (hence the win ratio), and the success he's delivered on the pitch has enabled our club to grow enormously.  Also, almost all managers eventually get binned by their clubs.  Lets not get revisionist about what he has achieved for us.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

12 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

Couldnt agree more 

People quick to shoot Allan down, how can anyone be left to rot on a bench, ( we have no reserve team ) just the 15 bounce games against St Johnstone on a Monday night to get someone match fit. And then for some bizzare reason when he does get a game, and doesnt perform in that one game, hes finished, hes done etc

Mis-management if ive ever saw it.

Same with Linn, Gold, and so many other players who are utilised very sparingly at best but expected to just magically perform after like 6-7 weeks with no minutes at certain times.

This is not about loosing the first 2 games of the season, this crap has been going on for a long time, poor signings, poor tactics, poor management of the squad, and if anyone is aware, the training leaves a lot to be desired too. 

You ask why Slater cant beat the first man with a corner, id look at how often set pieces are practised at training, infact id ask what was actually being done at training full stop. 

This 70's style of management, using 12 players and leaving the rest to rot, hoping the players ability alone pulls them through isnt working at all. 

Your not telling me, Allan, Linn, and anyone else who has not been utilised properly can possibly be at fault, its weird how our creative players are often the ones who suffer. Is it really the players, or how they are being used thats the problem.

We have never been known for attacking flair, scoring lots of goals, dominating teams, and its because DC will not change, Arbroath have money in the bank, on paper a reasonable squad

This man took us to the championship by fluke, things went his way in order for us to go up.

This man fucked it up tactically in the second half of 2022 and blew our chance of promotion, it wasnt that Killie deserved it, we fucked it right up in the end.

Whilst i agree its mad to sack a manager 2 games into a season, how much credit does DC have in the bank, hes not known as a master tactician, he hasnt actually won too much in his years as a manager. 

His win rate with Arbroath is 39% nearly as bad as any other stint hes had at any club, yet hes somehow got all this time.

You don't get promoted to the championship by fluke, that's a ridiculous thing to say. You clearly don't like him but you have to accept he has been our most successful manager....ever.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

We only win League 2 because Forfar fucked it up. We only won League 1 because Raith were a let down that season. He ruined our chances of promotion to the Premiership two seasons ago and we only stayed up last year because of other teams and nothing to do with him? :rolleyes: He should've been sacked after that first season when we got lucky and Forfar gave us the league ;) 

28 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

I was obviously joking, and I can only assume you are too.

7 minutes ago, keptie said:

You don't get promoted to the championship by fluke, that's a ridiculous thing to say. You clearly don't like him but you have to accept he has been our most successful manager....ever.

Ok, Fluke may be the wrong word

Our most successful manager ever, he may very well be, it aint a huge barrier to entry if a 39% win rate is all it takes.

Teams have to progress, the club has evolved in the background, has the management evolved and climbed the ladder with the rest of the club, IMO id say no.

DC isnt someone i rate highly for sure.

By the same way i dont see how Nouble scoring 4 goals in 25 games gave him hero status.

Jack Hamilton scoring 8 in 17 didnt get the same plaudits. 

Its all about opinions, but your not telling me DC's wild decisions in the last 2 years, are not a big part of why we have went backwards as a club on the pitch.

Every person on this forum will have differing opinions on players etc, whos the best and all of that.

One common theme though, is that people are not being played, played out of position and we are taking a fucking pumping week on week, whether i like him or not theres only so long someone can have the hotseat for.

6 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I was obviously joking, and I can only assume you are too.

I wasnt, but you as someone who maybe has more insights into the club than most.

You will know training is a shambles, tactics are a shambles, signings are a shambles

Someone like Bobby Linn sitting on a bench, isnt going to spark positivity around the dressing room, others get pissed too when not played for whatever reason.

Manager states in an interview that fans singing for Bobby Linn to come on gets on his tits, i mean how can anyone really like the methods of team spirt this guy gives off.

And this is the stuff we see, what else goes on in the background, god only knows, but we cannot be serious when we say this guy needs more time.

Thats the biggest joke 

1 hour ago, Lichteeeeee said:

Assuming that 39% includes our 4 seasons as a part time club in a full time league then it looks a decent record knowing how many draws we’ve had. 
Haven’t many successful managers been binned by previous clubs?

Dick definitely needs to get a grip soon. Yesterday’s first half was torture. We gave QP way too much respect in the first half and they just relaxed into a rhythm. He has to address the obvious squad problems quickly or we will be sunk.

TBH a win ratio does not mean an awful alot unless you are a club in the 'elite' bracket of clubs where you are playing in the same division year on year.

Going up between 2 divisions is always going to skew the win ratio percentages downwards as you face tougher opposition unless you are throw a shit ton of money to bring in the best players.

Same goes for attendance figures on most occasions.

23 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Assuming that 39% includes our 4 seasons as a part time club in a full time league then it looks a decent record knowing how many draws we’ve had. 
Haven’t many successful managers been binned by previous clubs?

Indeed. You could argue that almost every successful manager is eventually binned by their club.

For those that were "In Dick We Trust" right through the summer, but now, 2 games into the league season are suddenly wanting him punted, what changed?  He's punted most of the players you wanted punted, he signed a load of strikers, while not seeing defence as a priority.  He went four four fucking two.  If Arbroath were being run by a majority vote on this thread, then this is exactly the position we'd be in anyway.  

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Indeed. You could argue that almost every successful manager is eventually binned by their club.

For those that were "In Dick We Trust" right through the summer, but now, 2 games into the league season are suddenly wanting him punted, what changed?  He's punted most of the players you wanted punted, he signed a load of strikers, while not seeing defence as a priority.  He went four four fucking two.  If Arbroath were being run by a majority vote on this thread, then this is exactly the position we'd be in anyway.  

You must read different things on here than I do.. 

It is honestly like you think you’ve got some supernatural skill that nobody else does where you can see that Turan is a player, Jacobs can tackle and that you are the single only person that thought we should’ve signed defensive cover. 

I fully expected zero points after the first two games and now I expect zero points after the first three games after the rearranged fixture. Unless there’s a defensive midfielder in that team and a guy that’s a natural left back we are going to struggle next Saturday too.

Even if we had both of them sorted already these first 3 fixtures would’ve been tough going. 

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You must read different things on here than I do.. 

It is honestly like you think you’ve got some supernatural skill that nobody else does where you can see that Turan is a player, Jacobs can tackle and that you are the single only person that thought we should’ve signed defensive cover. 

Turan has looked perfectly decent whenever he's played, and has indeed scored and assisted goals.  Jacobs CAN tackle, its pace he lacks.  And yes, I was something of a lone voice saying we should have prioritised defensive cover.