The Arbroath Thread

Really worryingly catastrophic loss of form.

The last 3 league games are even worse than anything we saw last season - 3 losses, 3 goals for and 12 against. That’s relegation form.

I can’t be the only one who was a bit disappointed with Balde being put out on loan - ok, he’s no world beater but he’s the only physically combative midfielder we have and we’re getting destroyed in midfield.

Defence is a shambles but you reap what you sow.

And yes Clashy this is a negative post.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Defence needs to get its arse in gear - thistle were the better side today but we could’ve taken something there if we were anywhere near it defensively 

It’s not the defence, mate. It’s the lack of a midfield. 

A frustrating few weeks....

Last weeks game against Utd is gone and I didn't really take a huge amount from it apart from leaving our full backs so massively exposed by playing two attacking wide players was somewhat naive. In previous years we've got our fair share of points from teams up the top end from being solid first and foremost, and building from that. We've twice setup against Dundee Utd with a 'give it a go' sort of vibe and been whacked for 10 so far... The 4-5-1 we setup with at Tannadice was just as attacking as the 4-4-2 at Gayfield, if not more.

Today we obviously massively missed ToB. The distribution out from the back was really poor, and the defending in general somewhat suspect in the middle to say the least. I actually think over the 90 minutes the scoreline probably did reflect the game, and know I'll be in the minority with that opinion. While we've got some excellent attacking players this season compared to last - we cant just chuck them all on at once. Bird and Hylton are definite starters for me, and a 4-5-1 is the formation but we need to get a proper balance with more defensive minded player out wide opposite Hylton... we can then be doubling up on one side defensively at least, and have a player out there who can come into the middle when required to help the central two... as it is our two wide players are so wide and Mikey is pushing up that we've turned a 4-5-1 into a formation with less midfield than a 4-4-2.... 

I feel very sorry for Ricky currently :( He's really struggled in the past few weeks and he'll know himself he's a yard off where he was at last year. From what I saw today, I feel like he's had a lot of confidence sapped out of him this season due to there simply being some things he was able to do no problem previously that're now a struggle or sometimes simply not able to be done. He's been a solid performer for us at all levels over a literal decade and he's certainly not 'finished', but I think he's probably struggling with how to play things at times. Ultimately he has to adapt his game to where he's currently at, as many players have to when they're into their 30s. It's difficult - not just for him but also those around him who are maybe questioning what they should/ shouldn't be covering positioning etc. and where once everyone knew their jobs things have changed a wee bit.

Personally I think I'd give Stewart - Steele - ToB - Hammy a go as the back 4 over the next few weeks and see how it plays out. I'd also look to give them a wee bit more cover in midfield. First injury/ suspension at the back or run of poor games will see Ricky come back in, it certainly wouldn't be the 'end', it's a long season....

41 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

A frustrating few weeks....

Last weeks game against Utd is gone and I didn't really take a huge amount from it apart from leaving our full backs so massively exposed by playing two attacking wide players was somewhat naive. In previous years we've got our fair share of points from teams up the top end from being solid first and foremost, and building from that. We've twice setup against Dundee Utd with a 'give it a go' sort of vibe and been whacked for 10 so far... The 4-5-1 we setup with at Tannadice was just as attacking as the 4-4-2 at Gayfield, if not more.

Today we obviously massively missed ToB. The distribution out from the back was really poor, and the defending in general somewhat suspect in the middle to say the least. I actually think over the 90 minutes the scoreline probably did reflect the game, and know I'll be in the minority with that opinion. While we've got some excellent attacking players this season compared to last - we cant just chuck them all on at once. Bird and Hylton are definite starters for me, and a 4-5-1 is the formation but we need to get a proper balance with more defensive minded player out wide opposite Hylton... we can then be doubling up on one side defensively at least, and have a player out there who can come into the middle when required to help the central two... as it is our two wide players are so wide and Mikey is pushing up that we've turned a 4-5-1 into a formation with less midfield than a 4-4-2.... 

I feel very sorry for Ricky currently :( He's really struggled in the past few weeks and he'll know himself he's a yard off where he was at last year. From what I saw today, I feel like he's had a lot of confidence sapped out of him this season due to there simply being some things he was able to do no problem previously that're now a struggle or sometimes simply not able to be done. He's been a solid performer for us at all levels over a literal decade and he's certainly not 'finished', but I think he's probably struggling with how to play things at times. Ultimately he has to adapt his game to where he's currently at, as many players have to when they're into their 30s. It's difficult - not just for him but also those around him who are maybe questioning what they should/ shouldn't be covering positioning etc. and where once everyone knew their jobs things have changed a wee bit.

Personally I think I'd give Stewart - Steele - ToB - Hammy a go as the back 4 over the next few weeks and see how it plays out. I'd also look to give them a wee bit more cover in midfield. First injury/ suspension at the back or run of poor games will see Ricky come back in, it certainly wouldn't be the 'end', it's a long season....

Yes, apart from Stewart is not a good right back and I’d have Norrie or Lyon there with Stewart in front of them. 

What's happened to the atmosphere at our home games? , deafening silence again today, the young lads wi their drum was so frowned upon by some but jeezo bring it back imo. It must be felt by the players. Away matches are so much better atmosphere wise.

52 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I said much the same last season, and I felt we got by because ToB was bailing him out, which was making ToB look worse.  The problem is that I don't know if he CAN adapt his game.   He's been off the pace for a while, and I don't think he's changed his game at all.  He still charges forward needlessly, he still gets caught out of position, and he still has to resort to rash tackles.  As you say, many players have to adapt their games, but not everyone can do this successfully.  I don't get any joy out of it, I don't like to see it, but its the reality we're faced with.  

Edited by ExiledLichtie

We’ve gotten where we are through being a solid hard to beat team and we’ve totally gone away from that. playing a forward wide right doesn’t work. Defensively we’ve been a shambles at times. Little and Tob have had their fair share of absolute howlers this season and that needs to improve or even change not been overly impressed with either tbh I can understand more with little with his age just have to accept a slight decline in performances but with tob some of the decisions and performances have been wild and erratic.
going forward I’d go with 

Lyon/norey steel tob hammy 

stewart gold slater hylton

mckenna 

mcintosh if not bird 

Thought bird was poor today nothing stuck uptop. I’d like to see mcintosh get a run through the middle feel he’s the biggest presence up there although that injury might prevent that. 

we had linn wasting away on a bench for 2 seasons now he’s gone dicks gone full out attack playing 2 attacking wide players or strikers in his case. 

big game next week poor results for us today with everyone gaining points

Disappointing result against a team we should be looking to challenge at home - the players and management will know their failings.

Before kick off I thought the attacking formation looked good - now with the benefit of hindsight we got it wrong.

Losing to United and Thistle are not big disasters -  provided we learn lessons and get back on track next week.

Our defence is usually difficult to break down - but shipping 9 goals in 2 games is concerning.

Need to get back on track with a few good wins and decent performances - next week is a good time to start.

A few weeks ago we won 4 league games in a row plus a cup game, were playing great football, scoring loads of goals and conceding barely anything. It looked like we could be comfortably mid table, or better come May

Fast forward and we can’t score, the defence is haemorrhaging goals, the midfield is posted missing in games and we’re in free fall.

Now call me a simplistic idiot but why didn’t they just bottle the recipe of that success and continue doing what they were doing - same formation and tactics etc etc. I know that success in football’s not that simple, if it was then everyone would be doing it, however it definitely feels like there’s tinkering going on just for the sake of it combined with out of form players not getting dropped.

Edited by Tattie36

11 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

A few weeks ago we won 4 league games in a row plus a cup game, were playing great football, scoring loads of goals and conceding barely anything. It looked like we could be comfortably mid table, or better come May

Fast forward and we can’t score, the defence is haemorrhaging goals, the midfield is posted missing in games and we’re in free fall.

Now call me a simplistic idiot but why didn’t they just bottle the recipe of that success and continue doing what they were doing - same formation and tactics etc etc. I know that success in football’s not that simple, if it was then everyone would be doing it, however it definitely feels like there’s tinkering going on just for the sake of it combined with out of form players not getting dropped.

It is basically the exact same team and formation etc. Nothing much has changed, we’ve just been poor as a team the last couple weeks and there is also not one poor team in this league this season so if you’re not at it on the day you’ll get beat.

United and maybe Raith aside everyone has found that out, everyone beating everyone and picking up results on their day.

We could have a good day on Saturday, win the match and move up the table and everything feels rosey again. 

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It is basically the exact same team and formation etc. Nothing much has changed, we’ve just been poor as a team the last couple weeks and there is also not one poor team in this league this season so if you’re not at it on the day you’ll get beat.

United and maybe Raith aside everyone has found that out, everyone beating everyone and picking up results on their day.

We could have a good day on Saturday, win the match and move up the table and everything feels rosey again. 

If I remember correctly we had Scott Stewart at LB, ToB in the defence and Turan starting in attack. Scott was providing a lot of support to Hylton on the left and Turan giving more physicality to the midfield than MacIntosh. Leighton always seems best coming off the bench later in the game. Clearly Hammy needs game time but is he 100% fit to start? It seemed like a better balanced side than Saturday’s. 

39 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

If I remember correctly we had Scott Stewart at LB, ToB in the defence and Turan starting in attack. Scott was providing a lot of support to Hylton on the left and Turan giving more physicality to the midfield than MacIntosh. Leighton always seems best coming off the bench later in the game. Clearly Hammy needs game time but is he 100% fit to start? It seemed like a better balanced side than Saturday’s. 

But ToB couldn’t play on Saturday and the team you have mentioned played right up until the game previous? 

Also Turan has a lot of decent attributes but physicality is not one of them. He’s as physical as big Luke Donnelly

Edited by 1320Lichtie

It really comes down to injuries, losing Dow and O'Brien weakens us quite considerably for the last two matches, hopefully both are back and fit to start the next match. I don't think we got it right tactically at Tannadice and suffered as a result. 

I think our strongest 11 is probably

Gatson

Stewart Steele O'Brien Hamilton

Dow Slater Gold Hylton

McKenna

Bird

Harsh on Ricky as he has been an outstanding servant and player but he is just not playing well enough, people will point towards his age and wouldn't completely write him off. Our back up players like Turan, Jacobs, Norey, Lyon etc probably not quite good enough, if one of them plays we will get by but if they all start we are weakened as is the same with most teams.