The Arbroath Thread

Cork had a shite season - looking at that league it is a 10 team league and they finished 9th. It might not be the best standard but there is a couple of they teams in there that have done better than most teams outwith the big 2 in Scotland when in Europe and the standard is absolutely comparable and in my opinion probably better than the bottom half of the Scottish Championship. He’s been at a decent standard anyway and played plenty of games so hopefully he can kick on. 

Must have moved over to Scotland with long term plans to play here if he’s signed for us for 18 month. 

An interesting one and at the end of the day, if he’s good then great, if he’s average then fine and if not we’ve still got Steele and a couple of others to play there

Hopefully see some more soon

Cork City fan here lads. Couldn't help but notice the overall positive reaction, so thought it best to register and give ye some insights on Walker.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. You've been had by an agent here. He's not only a terrible footballer, but he has an absolutely disgraceful attitude. Maybe the change of scene might slap some sense into him, but honestly we're all in shock at him getting this move - we thought he'd be lucky to pick up a Sunday league team.

4 minutes ago, RebelsHere said:

Cork City fan here lads. Couldn't help but notice the overall positive reaction, so thought it best to register and give ye some insights on Walker.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. You've been had by an agent here. He's not only a terrible footballer, but he has an absolutely disgraceful attitude. Maybe the change of scene might slap some sense into him, but honestly we're all in shock at him getting this move - we thought he'd be lucky to pick up a Sunday league team.

Noticed the comments on social media today - overall negative 

Looked at reaction on social media from when he re signed for you last year - read overall positive 

Understand how you are saying what you are saying there are some boys I had absolutely no time for after we’d had a rotten year - hopefully a new team and environment helps

Cork City obviously a decent level and as a club probably one of the biggest in Ireland so fans have higher expectations than what they’ve been served up

13 minutes ago, RebelsHere said:

That’s good to hear 🤣☹️

The main reason for the positivity is for the simple fact that we’ve been embarrassingly short on defensive options for nearly a year now so it’s more a relief than anything. E.g. we played on Tuesday against Dundee United and our back 4 consisted of one recognised defender and 3 midfielders. We also subsequently discovered post match that our one “fit” defender has been playing with a broken toe for a few weeks.

So you can see why we’re all delighted to have a defender coming in.

Thanks for the input and that’s all a wee bit worrying. Time will tell and hopefully it’s not as bad as you make out.

Best of luck to Cork in getting back to the top flight.

ETA as 1320Lichtie says, perhaps he just needs a change of scene, setup etc. we had a guy play for us last season - Toyosi Olusanya, who was universally thought of as dreadful. This season he’s a regular and, by all accounts playing well for St Mirren who are 5th in the Premiership.

Edited by Tattie36

Good luck to the lad and definitely great to get a defender in with all the injuries we have. It seems we may be continuing with the hybrid system. Can’t see this guy coming over for 18 months to train two nights a week. Thought these type of signings may have finished with the sellars scouting regime being ripped up.  Be interesting to see if he is ready to come straight in. I suspect he’ll be similar to Banks

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Noticed the comments on social media today - overall negative 

Looked at reaction on social media from when he re signed for you last year - read overall positive 

Understand how you are saying what you are saying there are some boys I had absolutely no time for after we’d had a rotten year - hopefully a new team and environment helps

Cork City obviously a decent level and as a club probably one of the biggest in Ireland so fans have higher expectations than what they’ve been served up

That's a fair summation. But the striking part of the commentary on here for me was the comparison to Lewis Banks in terms of a benchmark. Walker makes Banks look like Cafu, so just temper those expectations a little.

Best of luck for the season. You'll naturally have some interest from Cork for the next few months anyway!

McIntyre will know that the new signings will make or break his reputation at Gayfield - he will be well aware of the consequences of signing players who don't deliver - he will surely have all players watched and perhaps invited to a few training sessions .

What really pleases me is how good the "fringe" players have been playing - they have really taken their chance and clicked as a unit.

If we secure a couple of loan signings and the injured players slowly start to return we will have a good squad.

The missing sections of the jig saw might not be completed until the end of January - but hopefully worth waiting for.

1 minute ago, clashcityrocker said:

McIntyre will know that the new signings will make or break his reputation at Gayfield - he will be well aware of the consequences of signing players who don't deliver - he will surely have all players watched and perhaps invited to a few training sessions .

What really pleases me is how good the "fringe" players have been playing - they have really taken their chance and clicked as a unit.

If we secure a couple of loan signings and the injured players slowly start to return we will have a good squad.

The missing sections of the jig saw might not be completed until the end of January - but hopefully worth waiting for.

So is it a “great squad”, “Tidy Squad” or “good squad”? 

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

ETA as 1320Lichtie says, perhaps he just needs a change of scene, setup etc. we had a guy play for us last season - Toyosi Olusanya, who was universally thought of as dreadful. This season he’s a regular and, by all accounts playing well for St Mirren who are 5th in the Premiership.

Think we are all safe in the knowledge that, not playing well for Arbroath isn’t solely based on someone being a bad player, more down to terrible management, poor tactics which in turn left us in our current predicament. 

Says more about the management style than the players who come in. It’s no wonder we sit with no bench players, doesn’t take brains of Britain to see why people may be reluctant to loan to Arbroath. 

Mon up to Arbroath, either sit on the bench of chase shadows all day long and taking a pumping weekly ain’t exactly good for the youth of today.

Aye

I know it’s out of necessity at times but I have been pretty impressed with McIntyre in regards to giving guys a chance and trusting them. Especially with Norey and Stowe. 

There has been times where he could’ve taken the easier option and let them sit on their arse but he’s given everyone a chance and made it a real team and squad effort. 

Remember worrying up in Inverness when he put Stowe on when we were winning 2-1 into Golds (I think) position  in the centre of the park. Remember thinking that’s a guy who is an attacking wide player with not much experience at this level coming on when we were under the cosh a bit and protecting a lead in the centre of the park where he will have to do a lot of defending and it worked well. 

Think it has really helped the group tbh 

walker.thumb.png.8034b59a41d246a9011a230cd078efce.png

Very much a full back who prefers to attack?

Not sure hes really got any strengths as such, but if he does then it'll be in the final third.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

A Queens Park defeat tonight would be just lovely 

Watched the game and Dunfermline were pitiful, same applied to Dundee United when they played Queens several weeks ago. 

That was Queens first win since defeating us on the 19th of August. 

1 hour ago, Housecaptain said:

Watched the game and Dunfermline were pitiful, same applied to Dundee United when they played Queens several weeks ago. 

That was Queens first win since defeating us on the 19th of August. 

We would have comfortably beat Dunfermline a few weeks back if it wasn’t for Hyltons bullshit 

4 minutes ago, keptie said:

It sure is looking grim just now........just gotta hope things improve.

Absolutely no chance it will improve, so long as McIntyre keeps his job , honestly I couldn’t believe it when you guys appointed him 

1 minute ago, Wee jeemie said:

Absolutely no chance it will improve, so long as McIntyre keeps his job , honestly I couldn’t believe it when you guys appointed him 

And exactly how many games this seaspn have you watched Arbroath play under Dick Campbell and then Jim McIntyre to base that view on?