The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I don't think it counts as "bad luck" when we want to play 4-4-2, but only sign two strikers with no cover.

Would you rather go back to just signing jobbers to cover positions. We might even adapt to modern times and have to play with a false 9 (Dow) for a period. 

3 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Would you rather go back to just signing jobbers to cover positions. We might even adapt to modern times and have to play with a false 9 (Dow) for a period. 

Maybe you should relax, and take a deep breath?  Try a bit of positivity? 

5 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We've made a choice to start the season with two strikers, have no cover, and wait for loans/late signings.  And that's fine, that's a choice we made, and I have no problem with it.  All I'm saying is that it isn't "unlucky".  

Awwww fkn wrap it you 

Signing 2 strikers, one who youd imagine would be our star player this year, and have them basically miss all of pre season is definitely a wee bit unlucky 

Fud

I think we’re gonna run out of legs here as we’ve put in some shift and struggling to get up the park with Dow there by himself but the back 3/5 - Bisland, Stewart, ToB, Hammy, Wilkie - have been excellent. As has McAdams who has had 2 excellent saves. We look really really organised against a team that’s flying.

I suspect this will be extremely hard to keep up as the legs start to go and a certain ginger man enters the play but very encouraging defensively - been put under a whole lot of pressure 

Murray penalty pretty poor tbh but he’s shown flashes of quality and looks very sharp 

Hopefully Gallagher gets on the park and looks sharp 

This is ultimately going to end in defeat but I’m more than happy with the performance. Innes Murray has been a handful and would probably be man of the match if it wasn’t for the keepers heroics. Very disappointed in TOBs brain fart to give away the penalty. 

Lots of very promising signs 

This is by no means meant to be a negative post as I understand the cyclical nature of football, but it’s only 18 months ago that we were beating Dundee 4-2 at Dens Park. Shows how quickly different clubs fortunes can change.

Expectations obviously have to be tempered and hopefully things will come good but it’s now over 4 months since our last win and it’s now 13 defeats in a row. Haven’t seen a game this season yet but, despite defeats and a lack of goals, folk seem to be positive about performances, which is a very good thing. I probably won’t make a game until late August/early Sept at the earliest and hopefully the promise will start paying dividends by then.

Even with such a short time having passed, our days of being a decent Championship side feels like a million years ago.

Overall we put in a decent shift especially 2nd half when we got up the park more often after conceding a pen after  some poor defending.  Dundee looked really sharp, we looked well organised though. 

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

This is by no means meant to be a negative post as I understand the cyclical nature of football, but it’s only 18 months ago that we were beating Dundee 4-2 at Dens Park. Shows how quickly different clubs fortunes can change.

Expectations obviously have to be tempered and hopefully things will come good but it’s now over 4 months since our last win and it’s now 13 defeats in a row. Haven’t seen a game this season yet but, despite defeats and a lack of goals, folk seem to be positive about performances, which is a very good thing. I probably won’t make a game until late August/early Sept at the earliest and hopefully the promise will start paying dividends by then.

Even with such a short time having passed, our days of being a decent Championship side feels like a million years ago.

We do need a win and some goals, that’s for sure. It was never going to be tonight though. 

Just now, TheRoundO said:

We do need a win and some goals, that’s for sure. It was never going to be tonight though. 

Without doubt. Dundee are a very decent premiership side and we’re now L1. That was kind of the gist of my post and wasn’t meant to be negative about us at all - teams fortunes can change so quickly in football. Obviously some of our fans see anything other than 100% positivity as a no no at the moment though.

I'm sure the goals and victories will come soon.

16 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

For me, the season starts on Saturday. There are lots of positive signs but that needs to translate into goals and points. 
The new signings all look sound, especially McAdams the keeper who is a great addition.

Plenty positives tonight,

McAdams outstanding in first half, disappointing communication with ToB and very silly pen to give away but apart from that very good,

Slater always looking to get on the ball and Dow and Murray done well, 

Good to see Gallagher get some minutes, can put ur mortgage on that being a foul on the build up to dundee 2nd goal if it was the other way around,

Would of liked to see Scotty Stewart play further up the pitch but he was solid too,

Easy to forget that's against a full time team who have probably done all there buisness in our first competitive fixture, hopefully get some new faces in soon, can see walker and stowe being surplus to requirements,

41 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Plenty positives tonight,

McAdams outstanding in first half, disappointing communication with ToB and very silly pen to give away but apart from that very good,

Slater always looking to get on the ball and Dow and Murray done well, 

Good to see Gallagher get some minutes, can put ur mortgage on that being a foul on the build up to dundee 2nd goal if it was the other way around,

Would of liked to see Scotty Stewart play further up the pitch but he was solid too,

Easy to forget that's against a full time team who have probably done all there buisness in our first competitive fixture, hopefully get some new faces in soon, can see walker and stowe being surplus to requirements,

Feel a wee bit for Stowe I think he could maybe be good for us but wouldn’t be against it if we brought another speedy wide man in. Think we definitely need that player with a burst of pace to give teams the fear in wide areas. 

27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Feel a wee bit for Stowe I think he could maybe be good for us but wouldn’t be against it if we brought another speedy wide man in. Think we definitely need that player with a burst of pace to give teams the fear in wide areas. 

I reckon Stowe is the first player out the door 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH 

A reminder that this season you vote via the clubs official Facebook and Twitter/X pages. Voting closes this evening at 5pm with the winner announced on TASC’s Social Media pages shortly after 🇱🇻

Vote via the links belown ⬇️

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/share/S2MRLAsCD47W7mHr/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Twitter/X - https://x.com/arbroathfc/status/1813467253620236373?s=46&t=jrAr0vp7fX2Mw4MZqkwqvg

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

10 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I reckon Stowe is the first player out the door 

Him or Walker

3 minutes ago, ecto said:

Him or Walker

Maybe Walker trying to get back to Ireland - noticed on my YouTube he’d uploaded a highlights video of himself recently. (It was a recommended video presumably because Arbroath FC was in the title of his upload) 

Very confident and comfortable with everyone who played last night and Steele. 

Spalding did fine last night it was a hard game to come on in but he does look like a young lad or youth player. Callaghan wasn’t the best last night either but was decent in spells and thought he showed up well in the friendly against St Johnstone where we were able to get on ball a lot more. 

Last night was a million miles an hour from every player for Dundee they were really good. Big Sylla sitting behind flying machines in midfield. 

If Gallagher is good to go on Saturday I’d start him. Not willing to risk Reilly yet tho. So if we go 2 up front maybe Gallagher and Dow? Or Murray? Put Stewart back into the midfield 

McAdams or Hemphrey

Bisland-TOB-Hammy-Wilkie

Stewart-Slater-Gold-Dow

Gallagher-Murray

2 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Top knot in the goal looks a good keeper, some cracking saves in the 1st half, where did you get him from?

Thank you.

He was at Larne last season. Has also played for Morton, Ayr and Edinburgh City