The Arbroath Thread

58 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

All very well but although DC says he plays with two wingers he seldom if ever has done. “A physical presence up front with a hard working runner off them” sounds like two up front which we never play. “A more clever football player in the middle of the park” - only one I can think of is Nicky Low and that didn’t last long. We signed Scott Allan and never play him. 
I’ll give you a good keeper and a solid back four.

Last year was the start of Bobby being phased out so we did usually have 2 wingers on the park 

And we have always played with 2 uptop before this year. McKenna has always played oft someone. Also Nouble and Dowds or Hamilton and Wighton. 

And aye Ryan McCord and Mark Whatley, Swankie and Scott Martin, Nicky Low and Chris Hamilton / Liam Henderson 

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

Absolutely zero chance of this game being done and dusted before half time - unless Morton are pumping Cove 0-5 at half time ( which also won't be happening).

This game could well get decided in the final 10 mins of the match (same goes for the Cove match).

This is going right down to the wire.

Expect lots of tension, nervous players and very few goals.

Also expect you to come on here after a pitiful 1-0 defeat claiming that we are good enough to hang with the likes of Manchester City. 

36 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Last year was the start of Bobby being phased out so we did usually have 2 wingers on the park 

And we have always played with 2 uptop before this year. McKenna has always played oft someone. Also Nouble and Dowds or Hamilton and Wighton. 

And aye Ryan McCord and Mark Whatley, Swankie and Scott Martin, Nicky Low and Chris Hamilton / Liam Henderson 

McCord was a cracking player. I’d say probably better than Whatley and Low. What a miss little Chris has been this season as well 

On 03/05/2023 at 14:28, Monkfish85 said:

How many points has he won us, genuine question. 
I can think of Morton at home he definitely won us that point. Any other matches ?

Queens Park away both times for sure. 

He’s a wonderful goalkeeper and if you don’t think he’s the reason we aren’t already down then I don’t think you’ve been watching the team play this season 

On 03/05/2023 at 16:44, SmokeyJoe said:

seasons been an absolute disaster looking forward to it being over hopefully still in the championship.  

management are to blame for that how many times did DC say he’d sign better players then gets rid of decent squad players without replacing them. 

Yes JT was aging but decent bit part player, yes LD was infuriating but I’d absolutely have him back instead of the guff we’ve had instead and craigen a solid dependable player. I understand they might of left for personal reasons or whatever but to not have replacements already in was ludicrous.  

took absolute punts on nobodys trying find a needle in a haystack and failed fucking miserably. Then come out in November with nobody in Scotland good enough to sign then signs 2/3/4 Scottish based players in January. 

we have got to where we are by signing the better available players from league 1/2, the odd player dropping down to PT football and solid loan signings and then just chucks that method in the bin.

staying in the championship is the aim and quite right I never expected to be competing for the league again after last season but I’d thought we’d be floating around mid table maybe  push for playoffs at most but they signings in the summer was disastrous and put us on course for the season we had. 

I don’t mind getting beat and being relegated but it’s the whole manner of this season. Terrible recruitment, awful tactics, terrible team selections (regularly) and in game management 5 sub rule should be banned from DC. 

Love DC for what he’s done and where he’s taken us but I’d not be against if he was to step away or be moved on but that next issue is who’s takes us further. 

Everything said here is spot on. None of the fantasist stuff you get from supporters to scared to criticise the team. 

Well said 

Edited by Anotherlichtie
Poor grammar

7 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Queens Park away both times for sure. 

He’s a wonderful goalkeeper and if you don’t think he’s the reason we aren’t already down then I don’t think you’ve been watching the team play this season 

I have been watching the team and not denying how good a player he is and how important he is but to say we would be well relegated without him is not true. Making great saves in a game we lose means he has won us no points in those games. Also had games we have won and drawn because the team have deserved the points ?

2 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

I have been watching the team and not denying how good a player he is and how important he is but to say we would be well relegated without him is not true. Making great saves in a game we lose means he has won us no points in those games. Also had games we have won and drawn because the team have deserved the points ?

The amount of saves he’s made in games we’ve drawn as meant we have gained a point and we’ve had plenty draws this season. Not saying he’s won us every point in the draws but definitely wouldn't have as many if it wasn’t for him. Been tremendous and we would absolutely be worse off if it wasn’t for him. 

27 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Gaston seems to have made several good saves in every game we’ve played and we can barely score a goal to save ourselves. In fact we’ve won 2 games by more than one goal, without him we would be doomed.  

36 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

The amount of saves he’s made in games we’ve drawn as meant we have gained a point and we’ve had plenty draws this season. Not saying he’s won us every point in the draws but definitely wouldn't have as many if it wasn’t for him. Been tremendous and we would absolutely be worse off if it wasn’t for him. 

Worse off as in relegated 

45 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

He’s been our best player this season by an absolute mile and should (even though we have lots of supporters with little football knowledge) clean up at the AFC awards on Saturday evening. The fact you are even challenging the point is bizarre to me

55 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

I've only just seen Partick's second goal back from last weekend - some really half arsed tracking back & covering. Infuriating.

From what I remember at the time, Stewart was nowhere to be seen, leaving acres of space out wide. Also, can't have Banks at LB, he looked completely lost.

2 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

From what I remember at the time, Stewart was nowhere to be seen, leaving acres of space out wide. Also, can't have Banks at LB, he looked completely lost.

Stewart had just popped a header into the Partick Thistle goalies hands on the edge of their box 

6 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Nobody covers Stewart, who just jogs back and hasn't even made it back to our box by the time they have scored.

Tbf don’t think Stewart could’ve really done anything and I’d say Balde has to realise Ricky is 2 on 1 when the keeper gets the ball, even then Ricky was too busy wrestling with Brian Graham to probably even notice Tiffoney himself. Just a pish goal to lose.

Also a goal we’d never score because we’d never dream of trying to keep the ball on the ground in and around the box… it actually is pretty hard to defend against who knew 

Gatson done his job this season. Pulled off good saves and certainly was amazing in the morton game. 

Think we’ve missed a Chris Hamilton type player more than a Ryan McCord but without sounding like a broken record it’s a fucking striker we’ve needed