The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s been a horrendous year for it. Possibly the worst I can ever remember.

I agree but I was just making the point that it’s not always windy.

Another noticeable thing this season is that in almost every windy game, the wind has been coming from the opposite direction to the standard prevailing winds that we normally get.

8 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Another noticeable thing this season is that in almost every windy game, the wind has been coming from the opposite direction to the standard prevailing winds that we normally get.

This we can agree on, has blown from the  harbour end, a lot more this year 

4 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Aye Kehn. It’s been weird

Strange season for the Lichties albeit we survived – for which immense credit to all concerned.  We managed to grind out results thanks to a solid defence and we did it the hard way.   

Glancing at the stats, we seemed generally unable to score against the lower-ranked teams (0.5 goals per game For vs  >1 Against) which gave our direct rivals a real advantage.  We actually performed OK against the final top 5 overall

• 20 games against the Top 5         21 GF  29 GA   23 Points
  • 16 games against the Bottom 4     8 GF  18 GA    11 Points

After outscoring all the others last season, we managed the lowest Goals For this season, since Dumbarton and Brechin in 17-18 and Alloa in 15-16, all of whom were relegated

On the head-to-heads, nothing was predictable.   What does that all mean?   Maybe we struggled more against teams playing it tight.  Plus the worst home record in the league - well, I blame the wind and the fact our players train exclusively in Perth

GF

GA

Pts

Dundee

Ayr United

Queen's Park

Partick Thistle

Morton

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Raith Rovers

Hamilton Ac

Cove R

Totals

51 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Thank f**k for Morton! 

Aye. Aside from being a proper club with decent fans and an old school ground, all the points they've given us over the last few season and beating the teams we needed them to beat… don’t forget that they also let Derek Gaston go, and where would we be without him.

Cheers Morton.

Edited by Tattie36

I genuinely have a soft spot for the LIchties and their fans. But having missed the playoffs by a whisker, and then seeing the above stats ........

meter45.gif

Maybe next year we'll figure out how to avoid the maroon-coloured banana skin 🤣

Edited by Chippyminton

Hope we can capitalise on the opportunity avoiding playoffs offers by moving to fill some of the gaps in the squad necessitated by the significant turnover expected. Early mover advantage, though many will not yet be available but priority in attack

A couple of issues with the ground could use some attention.  The PA is inaudible from many parts of the terracing (compared with the deafening/excessive noise at some grounds).  I also think extensive rehabilitation of the playing surface itself is needed.  You can see the unevenness and wear in some places.  Summer growth will disguise this but it’s exposed in winter

Edited by farflung lichtie

What a relief it is not having to stress out about other results or upcoming fixtures for the next 2 month 

I’ve heard Bobby may have had change of heart - hopefully he stays and hopefully we use him more often in game’s particularly at Gayfield 

Move on -

Scott Allan - not worked out or likely to work out. 

Keaghan Jacobs - too injury prone and never done enough when he was playing. 

Paul Komolafe - just not good enough. 

El Mhanni - too inconsistent and probably wants to return home.

Sean Adarkwa - very promising but way too injury prone to carry for a whole season. 

Dylan Patterson - not good enough.

Dylan Tait - end of loan.

Scott Bitsindou - end of loan.

Toyosi Olusanya - end of loan.

Retain

Derek Gaston - signed 

Cammy Gill - good back up 

Lewis Banks - unsure but would try to keep. 

Ricky Little - will be here. 

ToB - signed until 2028

Hammy - will be here. 

David Gold - will be here. Good squad player. 

Ryan Dow - will be here. Good squad player. 

Joao Balde - will be here. So much potential.

Steven Hetherington - unsure. But should be starting central midfield. Hopefully stays. 

Michael McKenna - so important. Will be here. 

Bobby Linn - unsure. Hopefully stays.

Scott Stewart - will be here. 

Dale Hilson - hopefully will be here, he’s proved himself such an important squad player and has been great this season.

Kieran Shanks - see what like in pre season / the summer. 100 percent would’ve been a better option keeping him than the likes of Komolafe / Olusanya and even arguably Adarkwa seeing as he barely played. 

I make that. 

Out - 9 players. 

Retained - ideally 15. 

Signed - 2 - seems to be common knowledge that Nathan Austin and Craig Slater will be here in the summer. 

Dick also mentioned in our hospitality Friday night that we are trying to get a striker recently released by Dunfermline but the chances are  extremely slim because there are also 9 other clubs after them. Must be Todorov / O’Hara. Shows how hard a market is. 

There are definitely strikers out there. I was at Brechin on Saturday expecting to be impressed by their goalscorer. Instead I was surprised to see Blair Henderson looking useful for Spartans. He has incredible stats for goals per game. A Campbell style target man.

On 07/05/2023 at 17:17, farflung lichtie said:

Strange season for the Lichties albeit we survived – for which immense credit to all concerned.  We managed to grind out results thanks to a solid defence and we did it the hard way.   

Glancing at the stats, we seemed generally unable to score against the lower-ranked teams (0.5 goals per game For vs  >1 Against) which gave our direct rivals a real advantage.  We actually performed OK against the final top 5 overall

• 20 games against the Top 5         21 GF  29 GA   23 Points
  • 16 games against the Bottom 4     8 GF  18 GA    11 Points

After outscoring all the others last season, we managed the lowest Goals For this season, since Dumbarton and Brechin in 17-18 and Alloa in 15-16, all of whom were relegated

On the head-to-heads, nothing was predictable.   What does that all mean?   Maybe we struggled more against teams playing it tight.  Plus the worst home record in the league - well, I blame the wind and the fact our players train exclusively in Perth

GF

GA

Pts

Dundee

Ayr United

Queen's Park

Partick Thistle

Morton

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Raith Rovers

Hamilton Ac

Cove R

Totals

"Unable to score against lower-ranked teams" I agree OR put another way unable to score against teams that sit in and keep things tight.

Then as we have little to no creativity and no real strikers we can't score.

Just now, Moorie said:

I seen Kane Hester being linked with Cove. Would this be a player Arbroath should also be looking at? 

No. Dick got asked about it in the hospitality I was in on Friday night and laughed it off. Personally didn’t think he was good enough for the Championship when he was here last time however would’ve been a massive improvement on guys we had In this season. 

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No. Dick got asked about it in the hospitality I was in on Friday night and laughed it off. Personally didn’t think he was good enough for the Championship when he was here last time however would’ve been a massive improvement on guys we had In this season. 

Yes for the championship team I’d imaging would be a bit of a “gamble”signing which you guys can’t be doing. 
cove in league 1 can see him doing well there 

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Nathan Austin and Craig Slater will be here in the summer. 

Nathan Austin will be a good signing for you guys but the problem is, trying to keep him fit he’s picked up quite a few injuries over the last year supposedly…. I thought we’d be looking at him with the new consortium coming in but I think he wants to stay part time.