The Arbroath Thread

3 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I’ve heard Dick’s talking to Hester. I’d have him ahead of Austin who’s scoring stats recently are poor.

He came into our hospitality on Friday and basically laughed it off and took the piss out of the person who suggested it…. We really need to get over him. 

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He came into our hospitality on Friday and basically laughed it off and took the piss out of the person who suggested it…. We really need to get over him. 

Might be a red herring.

Not suggesting Hester is the answer but I don’t think Dick should be laughing at anyone for suggesting we sign a proven goal scorer (no matter the level) considering some of the utter garbage “strikers” he’s been responsible for bringing to the club.

Personally don't see the appeal in Hester returning, not the profile of striker we need to be looking for. Looks set to be an exciting summer with plenty players coming and going, let's just hope the incoming names are a bit more household than what we got last summer.
Craig Slater is a signing that excites me, without Nicky Low we have badly missed a midfielder who is willing to put their foot on the ball. Nathan Austin I'm less sure about but he's someone who has played at this level before and knows what is required, which is more than can be said for some of our recruits this year. Whether it's Nathan Austin or not, we need a big man up top who can get us up the park and take the pressure off of us. Would be keen for Anton Dowds to return, big Todorov at Dunfermline maybe an option too.

I hope Bobby Linn stays, but can understand why he would want away. I'm not particularly sure what Dicks problem with playing him is, perhaps he's just too stubborn to admit he has been wrong about writing him off. If Linn goes we need to be committing a large chunk of the budget to replacing him, simply put he is our only player who goes past a man and is willing to shoot. Jack Healy at East Fife is someone who I like the look of a lot, seems to score from outside the box pretty often and probably wouldn't break the bank to go and get. Although being a young lad not sure how often he would actually get played enough to make an impact, we know what dick is like sometimes.

9 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Might be a red herring.

Not suggesting Hester is the answer but I don’t think Dick should be laughing at anyone for suggesting we sign a proven goal scorer (no matter the level) considering some of the utter garbage “strikers” he’s been responsible for bringing to the club.

Well of course it’s to be taken in context. He’d spent half his time slagging himself off for how bad the recruitment had been this season.

Tbf the room reacted similarly, this Hester chats went on every year since he left. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

20 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Personally don't see the appeal in Hester returning, not the profile of striker we need to be looking for. Looks set to be an exciting summer with plenty players coming and going, let's just hope the incoming names are a bit more household than what we got last summer.
Craig Slater is a signing that excites me, without Nicky Low we have badly missed a midfielder who is willing to put their foot on the ball. Nathan Austin I'm less sure about but he's someone who has played at this level before and knows what is required, which is more than can be said for some of our recruits this year. Whether it's Nathan Austin or not, we need a big man up top who can get us up the park and take the pressure off of us. Would be keen for Anton Dowds to return, big Todorov at Dunfermline maybe an option too.

I hope Bobby Linn stays, but can understand why he would want away. I'm not particularly sure what Dicks problem with playing him is, perhaps he's just too stubborn to admit he has been wrong about writing him off. If Linn goes we need to be committing a large chunk of the budget to replacing him, simply put he is our only player who goes past a man and is willing to shoot. Jack Healy at East Fife is someone who I like the look of a lot, seems to score from outside the box pretty often and probably wouldn't break the bank to go and get. Although being a young lad not sure how often he would actually get played enough to make an impact, we know what dick is like sometimes.

Todorov and Ohara released by Dunfermline either would be decent. The boy Ferguson on loan I think from st Johnstone sounds very good too won most the awards I think. He’d be a shout for a loan signing.  

Maybe left winger Charlie Reilly, could be a potential loan signing,will probably have to move near Dundee,and maybe Dundee might put Charlie out on loan to the championship if he s not ready for the premiership.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Might be a red herring.

Christ, you never stop having a go at him do you.

2 minutes ago, keptie said:

Christ, you never stop having a go at him do you.

So you don’t agree that he’s made a number of terrible attacking signings? And that he shouldn’t be laughing at anyone for making suggestions.

I like Dick and want to see him succeed but that doesn’t absolve him from (deserved) criticism.

Just now, Tattie36 said:

So you don’t agree that he’s made a number of terrible attacking signings? And that he shouldn’t be laughing at anyone for making suggestions.

I like Dick and want to see him succeed but that doesn’t absolve him from (deserved) criticism.

You name me a manager that hasn't made crap signings. As for him laughing jesus christ man chill out.

Of course he isn't absolved from criticism but that's all you seem to do on here it's tedious as hell.

Just remember where we are now.

Of all the things to have a go at him for , laughing off the 119th rumour about Kane Hester is not one for me. Hester has scored a few goals in a league well well well below the standard we are competing in. Throw in his gambling, he is not going to make us better than 8th in the championship. Crazy this weird infatuation some still have with him. 

The counter argument is he is better than Shanks, Isiaka and Komolafe but we need to get away from this thinking, it seems even Dick has admitted the errors he has made in players this season so here is hoping we see a bit improvement. 

15 minutes ago, keptie said:

You name me a manager that hasn't made crap signings. As for him laughing jesus christ man chill out.

Of course he isn't absolved from criticism but that's all you seem to do on here it's tedious as hell.

Just remember where we are now.

I would suggest you’re the one that needs to chill, all I did was criticise  Campbell’s terrible signings - a view universally held by the vast majority of our support, not just me.

Yes, every manager makes mistakes and bad signings… and, rightly, every team’s fans criticise them for it. Why should Dick get a free pass just because of what he’s achieved in the past? Attitudes like that see teams relegated… just like we probably would have been this season if not for Cove having a brain fart in reappointing Hartley.

I support Arbroath FC not Dick Campbell or any other manager for that matter.

Your last sentence sounds like the crap the Facebook happy clappers were coming out with - “Why are folk complaining? I remember when we played in front of 300 fans”. Ok then, let’s just aim for 9th in L2 every season and anyone who complains should just shut up and remember how bad we really were when we were bottom of the pile.

Oh and I’ll say it again - I want Dick to succeed and no I don’t think Hester is the answer… probably about the 100th time I’ve said both of those.

Edited by Tattie36

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I would suggest you’re the one that needs to chill, all I did was criticise  Campbell’s terrible signings - a view universally held by the vast majority of our support, not just me.

Yes, every manager makes mistakes and bad signings… and, rightly, every team’s fans criticise them for it. Why should Dick get a free pass just because of what he’s achieved in the past? Attitudes like that see teams relegated… just like we probably would have been this season if not for Cove having a brain fart in reappointing Hartley.

I support Arbroath FC not Dick Campbell or any other manager for that matter.

Your last sentence sounds like the crap the Facebook happy clappers were coming out with - “Why are folk complaining? I remember when we played in front of 300 fans”. Ok then, let’s just aim for 9th in L2 every season and anyone who complains should just shut up and remember how bad we really were when we were bottom of the pile.

Don't do Facebook. What you on about "aiming for 9th in league 2" would keep our happy clappers happy!! what a load of utter tosh. We've pretty much been in 9th place in L2 there and i don't think you will find any Arbroath supporters that were in any way happy with that situation so that is just complete nonsense. We're in a good/great place just now which i can actually appreciate. I find the criticism over the the top, you had us relegated 2 months ago ready to give up. 

14 minutes ago, keptie said:

Don't do Facebook. What you on about "aiming for 9th in league 2" would keep our happy clappers happy!! what a load of utter tosh. We've pretty much been in 9th place in L2 there and i don't think you will find any Arbroath supporters that were in any way happy with that situation so that is just complete nonsense. We're in a good/great place just now which i can actually appreciate. I find the criticism over the the top, you had us relegated 2 months ago ready to give up. 

The Facebook point was because there seem to be some fans of ours who will literally accept zero criticism of any player or the management because “we used to be shite” and that’s how you come across at times tbf, certainly when reacting to me.

I agree that we’re in a great place but we very nearly were not and are very lucky to still be a Championship side.

Why am I the only one you’re singling out?  I suggest you go back and look at all our fan’s posts since about September (not just 2 months) and I think you’ll find a lot of unhappy posters, certainly not just me, who had us all but relegated.

Anyway, my initial comment about saying Dick shouldn’t criticise anyone was a little bit tongue in cheek. I stand by it though and will continue to criticise (and praise) when deserved.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

The Facebook point was because there seem to be some fans of ours who will literally accept zero criticism of any player or the management because “we used to be shite” and that’s how you come across at times tbf, certainly when reacting to me.

I agree that we’re in a great place but we very nearly were not and are very lucky to still be a Championship side.

Why am I the only one you’re singling out?  I suggest you go back and look at all our fan’s posts since about September (not just 2 months) and I think you’ll find a lot of unhappy posters, certainly not just me, who had us all but relegated.

Anyway, my initial comment about saying Dick shouldn’t criticise anyone was a little bit tongue in cheek. I stand by it though and will continue to criticise (and praise) when deserved.

Yes there are other posters but they haven't been nearly as prolific as you have been, it almost seemed like you were enjoying it.

1 minute ago, keptie said:

Yes there are other posters but they haven't been nearly as prolific as you have been, it almost seemed like you were enjoying it.

Oh well, I disagree that I’m any worse than many others but fine if that’s your view.

If you think I’m bad then you should hear the views of the guys I go to games with. I would suggest the views on here are very mild compared with what’s being said by fans on the terraces and in the pubs.

I certainly wouldn’t be upset if we moved on from Campbell this summer. 

edit to add that it also wouldn’t he the end of the world in my opinion if he stays. I just hope he and pink have learnt from this seasons mistakes…..the biggest one being Deri Corfe 

Edited by lichtie23

41 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I certainly wouldn’t be upset if we moved on from Campbell this summer. 

edit to add that it also wouldn’t he the end of the world in my opinion if he stays. I just hope he and pink have learnt from this seasons mistakes…..the biggest one being Deri Corfe 

My vote for worst player of the year is Komolafe.  He is so bad it was almost funny, but not really when we're struggling for points.  Fast, strong and entirely devoid of football skills.

3 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

My vote for worst player of the year is Komolafe.  He is so bad it was almost funny, but not really when we're struggling for points.  Fast, strong and entirely devoid of football skills.

The Uzbeki Premier League must be some laugh 

54 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Surely Jacobs is up there, utterly, utterly dire