The Arbroath Thread

11 minutes ago, relichtie said:

I don't like to see teams doing this but we had a goal kick at 90+ and we should have just tried to play keep ball and ran the clock down to FT. Instead it was launched upfield and possession lost. Better game management could have seen us get a precious point

Was good to see Jim McIntyre recognise this about the game management in the post match - all these wee things and mistakes we are making add up to the shite we are in right now. That goal last night looking back at it is incredible, just an absolute shit show how it went in but that just sums it all up. 

Notice Morton also scored from a long throw on Tuesday night too. 

Maybe these last 2 games - and the change in how we play - cause for me it’s definitely there we do get the ball to full back and try work it up the park on the deck now - will show a better side to the players we have got here even if they are limited in numbers. Hylton and Bird having two really good games could even get us points they 2 are a proper threat. 

If we could pull off a shock win on Saturday in Inverness then even a point against Dunfermline would be good - or vice versa - I reckon that would be good enough to keep us in and around the other teams going into January where I imagine the squad will be bolstered. There really isn’t much in it and even with McKenna and Little still fit we’d probably be thinking it was not that bad a position to be in and that we could turn the corner 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

At the final free kick there seemed to be an attempt to play the ball up the park and into the corner. With 20/20 hindsight, rolling it back to Gaston would have killed the last 30 seconds for a deserved point. On the other hand we might have scored and taken all 3 points with the last kick. On balance it was a decent call.

3 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

At the final free kick there seemed to be an attempt to play the ball up the park and into the corner. With 20/20 hindsight, rolling it back to Gaston would have killed the last 30 seconds for a deserved point. On the other hand we might have scored and taken all 3 points with the last kick. On balance it was a decent call.

Sorry Tim but a point would have been a result as the manager said in his after match comments about game management. Our guys were dead on their feet and a pass back to Gaston and knocking the ball around for 30 Seconds or so would have seen us with a point. 

9 minutes ago, relichtie said:

Sorry Tim but a point would have been a result as the manager said in his after match comments about game management. Our guys were dead on their feet and a pass back to Gaston and knocking the ball around for 30 Seconds or so would have seen us with a point. 

I have to agree. The difference between the teams was their capacity to bring on players like Vaughan when our guys were clearly knackered. My point was more about rolling the dice for the extra 2 points on the assumption that the whistle was about to go. 

33 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I have to agree. The difference between the teams was their capacity to bring on players like Vaughan when our guys were clearly knackered. My point was more about rolling the dice for the extra 2 points on the assumption that the whistle was about to go. 

Think you should be fine come the end if season. It is a fight at the bottom and you demonstrated for most of last night's game you have that. Not sure Queens Park or Ayr do.

That's an absolute howler from Hamilton, thought at the time it was but my mate convinced me it wasn't. 

Its so tight at the bottom, literally one win can make a difference, I didn't see Morton and Raith being much better than us, whilst its two crushing defeats, I don't think there is a decent team below Partick in third that we cannot beat or take points from there. 

4 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

In fairness, all games in this league are tough - there are no easy games for any teams.

*ahem* 👋 

Teams who have played against Queen’s Park in the last 4 months would beg to differ. 

6 hours ago, relichtie said:

I don't like to see teams doing this but we had a goal kick at 90+ and we should have just tried to play keep ball and ran the clock down to FT. Instead it was launched upfield and possession lost. Better game management could have seen us get a precious point

We also had a free kick about halfway, and we didn’t put it onto the penalty spot, it was put about 25 yds out, should have been put into the mixer 

Only 14 games into the season - I think the fringe players are starting to find their feet in the starting 11 and we will start winning games soon.

It's took time, but was very encouraging watching how well we played mid-week - a win is coming soon.

As others have posted, we need a bigger squad, that will happen in January, but there is now competition for places, the fringe players have fitted into the team really well.

Absolutely no reason we can start collecting points very soon - with the exception of Dundee United, when we hit form we can give any team a game - but we need to be consistent and produce these performances every week - if we can do that, we will get back on track.

Hopefully we can get some consistency going - and lets play to our strengths and avoid formations which won't work due to lack of squad numbers and options.

On 14/12/2023 at 10:57, 1320Lichtie said:

Think we’re probably destined for League 1 as it stands.

Think we have to pick up 3 or 4 points before January so we are still in or close to the pack - if we can do this then I will have some belief but if we are stranded it’s going to be tough.

Shanley only 22 and for that age done well and as a part time option as good as you could hope for as a squad player with the potential to improve.

John Robertson is another I was thinking might return to Scotland after his " eventful" trip to Ireland. Just signed for EK which is outrageous. Clearly way beyond that level. Hasn't helped himself recently it must be said after his stock was very high last summer. 

Shanley is a good age and like you say a solid signing for even the best PT times. 

You guys need some points this December and hope Jim can work his magic in the window. Still possible.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

John Robertson is another I was thinking might return to Scotland after his " eventful" trip to Ireland. Just signed for EK which is outrageous. Clearly way beyond that level. Hasn't helped himself recently it must be said after his stock was very high last summer. 

Shanley is a good age and like you say a solid signing for even the best PT times. 

You guys need some points this December and hope Jim can work his magic in the window. Still possible.

A point tomorrow would be a great result then should be looking to win at home to Dunfermline before Xmas. 4 points out of our next 4 would be fantastic. We aren’t getting anything from Raith or united

On 14/12/2023 at 12:04, timlichtie said:

Vaughn and Mullen

12 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

5 substitutions @ 1 min each gives you the 5 mins, surprised that was all that was added 

It's a lottery with the time added on these days

I think it's more like 30 seconds per sub, unless 2 come on at the same break in play - and yes it's a total lottery  !!

Could it be possible that Balde being loaned was due to a logistical issue around travelling for training/match day meet up after losing his license rather than a fall out. Not sure what his situation was regarding lift shares etc but would possibly add up.

Edited by Hammerafc