The Arbroath Thread

Not one person on here, including me, has suggested that we should have a squad of 24/25 players. Aside from clubs having youth teams to dip into, that’s just not feasible for anyone at this level.

It’s been said that we have a squad of 21/22 but due to long-term injuries and loans we’ve been operating with an actual number of more like 18/19. Throw in the inevitable injuries and suspensions and that’s how we end up where we are. It happened last season too so it’s not like it’s unprecedented.

The bare minimum should be that a club has enough fit and available players  on the bench to cover for 5 outfield substitutions plus a goalie.

21 is the perfect number but that has to be players that are theoretically available and have the ability.

4 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Current rules allow for a bench of 9 players, right?  So that's 20 players for each matchday squad.    A squad of 22 means that if just 3 players are unavailable for any reason, we can't fill our bench.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Not one person on here, including me, has suggested that we should have a squad of 24/25 players.

There's not that many numbers between 22 and 24/ 25! ;) 

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Not one person on here, including me, has suggested that we should have a squad of 24/25 players. Aside from clubs having youth teams to dip into, that’s just not feasible for anyone at this level.

It’s been said that we have a squad of 21/22 but due to long-term injuries and loans we’ve been operating with an actual number of more like 18/19. Throw in the inevitable injuries and suspensions and that’s how we end up where we are. It happened last season too so it’s not like it’s unprecedented.

The bare minimum should be that a club has enough fit and available players  on the bench to cover for 5 outfield substitutions plus a goalie.

21 is the perfect number but that has to be players that are theoretically available and have the ability.

I think it again depends on the direction of our club .  If we are going to sign any young players of promise, then we have to accept that they might need time to get up to speed with the level, so they may get loaned out.  See Dylan Paterson.  Shanks is an example of the sort of the player that if we were going to sign from the highland league, they should have got a few months at league 1 or 2.  So if we are going to do any of that, i.e. any kind of medium term investment and player development, then we also need to take that into account.  So that's potentially 2 spaces if we are going to be a club that does that.  In addition, clubs used to loan out players more often, so previously we would have had an additional 2 or 3 loans in the squad.  We don't have that either.  

I think we have enough going forwards, and enough in midfield.   So I'd say keep the numbers we have there and then add a couple of defenders.  So maybe 23/24.  As far as I know, our club voted for these bigger benches and 5 subs.  Given we've signed the guy from Edinburgh City and we're quite well stocked in midfield, maybe we could loan out Stowe to someone in L1/L2 and see how they get on?

I do think slightly bigger squads are needed in this current age of football, and if every other team is able to bring on 5 fit and healthy subs, and we do not have the options to react to that, then we will drop points.  Either we need to run with a slightly bigger squad, or we need a development squad of some sorts.  If we have some sort of youth setup, then we can run with a smaller squad.  It just depends on the sort of club we become in the post Campbell age.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

New signing Innes Murray ( Edinburgh) will be in the squad tomorrow, along with Balde (

who has returned form his loan).

When Dick Campbell resigned, he was leaving behind a very good squad of players - he would have been holding out to sign quality players, rather than just quantity of numbers ( as others have mentioned).

If we bring in one loan player and perhaps 2  quality new signings we will have a great squad.

The fringe players have fitted into the starting 11 really well - in many ways the team has been playing better football - so, maybe 2 - 3 signings and we will have a full squad ( all in contention for the starting 11).

31 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

A difficult task today, but we did upset Dundee at Dens a year ago against all odds 

This is infinitely harder though. We went into that game with a full squad that included new signings. Today should be all about damage limitation 

2 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Got told he got to to get ti f**k out the changies by Jim so doubt that 

Tbf, even his legendary status at the club, no his place to be in there

Can't be critical today, boys gave everything, Didn't get any luck or breaks today,.

No wonder players get frustrated with officials, the standard is awful,

A lot more to be positive about and hopefully a few new faces in and we will hopefully kick on,

Utd fans singing "are you dundee in disguise" is up there with the worst song I've ever heard,  

7 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That yellow kit can get so far in the bin, no need to wear it today. 

Someone said it was a colour blind thing, as the maroon and green are similar