The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I agree with this.  Fitness has seldom been an issue for us.  I mind Dick discussing how as he only had part time players, his focus was on getting the players as fit as possible and having a shape to follow.  On the other hand, with daily training, full time players will be able to watch videos of our past games, study our tactics, come up with a detailed game plan, and work on some match specific tactics, along with their usual fitness training.  On the day of a midweek match, they'll have the players all day, they'll be able to have a nice team meal, do some light work (if its felt necessary) or whatever it is that managers choose to do, to make sure they are fully prepared.  Meanwhile, our part time players may have just worked a shift and driven to the match after a full day.  Stuff like that makes a difference.

We weren’t as fit this season as we’ve been, but our sports science guy moved to Dundee, leaving us with no one until it was too late

45 minutes ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

Disappointed not to get any of you guys involved in the video this time round but hopefully be able to catch up with some of you in a few weeks! 

No thanks

12 hours ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

Disappointed not to get any of you guys involved in the video this time round but hopefully be able to catch up with some of you in a few weeks! 

Would prefer Arbroath re signing Deri Corfe to watching that 

Looking for possible help from a fellow Lichtie.

Anyone going to Gran Canaria in the near future or due to come back soon.

Left mobile phone there which has been found and is with the found property department in the airport. Asking if anyone can help by picking it up and bringing it back. Reward will be given.

On 17/03/2024 at 20:22, ecto said:

We weren’t as fit this season as we’ve been, but our sports science guy moved to Dundee, leaving us with no one until it was too late

Also think when you’ve got 10/11/12 players out injured for an extended period of time how on earth are they supposed to get up to the fitness required midway through the season when they are part time players working full time jobs - look how far off the pace we have looked. Look how often guys have come back from injury then been injured again

I think I will chalk this season up as the worst in my living memory, for various reasons. There is no way things could possibly have went any more against us. Absolutely doomed to misery the whole way through 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Those of us with longer memories will recount worse seasons than this. After Dick taking over we were 2nd bottom of LG2 and won the league season after. Similar situation with Dave Baikie, bottom to promotion. This was always likely to happen at some time as has been said before in posts. To be the only part time side is really tough and the injury situation was a major factor in how the season has gone. We are not down yet, but it seems likely to be soon, and we need to rebuild and be challengers for the Lg1 title next season from day one if we are relegated. 

4 hours ago, relichtie said:

Those of us with longer memories will recount worse seasons than this. After Dick taking over we were 2nd bottom of LG2 and won the league season after. Similar situation with Dave Baikie, bottom to promotion. This was always likely to happen at some time as has been said before in posts. To be the only part time side is really tough and the injury situation was a major factor in how the season has gone. We are not down yet, but it seems likely to be soon, and we need to rebuild and be challengers for the Lg1 title next season from day one if we are relegated. 

I'm sure he doesn't mean literally the worst league season (i.e. league placing), and instead just means that bar that 4/5 game run it's just been totally miserable and we've looked so far off it. Have experienced shit seasons before but probably not with as many pumpings as we've received this year, can definitely sympathise with what he means.

6 hours ago, relichtie said:

Exactly! You’ve just mentioned the big positive of that season…. DC coming in and finishing the season in a positive fashion, the season before we were unbelievable the first half of the season and then had a shite second half to the season

Last season we stayed up

This season we are down and the whole things been a disaster in every aspect bar about one month where things looked good - also looking at a total rebuild of the club next season and there is a lot of people unsure over the manager - it’s a shitshow 

Only one I can think of being as bad is the year we were relegated from the Championship way back but I wasn’t old enough to be anywhere near as invested in what was going on as what I am just now 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Like others here, I’d be against going full time - I don’t think there's a big enough population-financial base (32nd largest settlement as one crude indicator) not that there’s an iron rule and would maybe place undue pressure on financial resilience. For some marginal part time teams like Cove, I’d be worried about the longer term viability.  That said, there are lots of small teams way down the lower leagues with dodgy financial backing.

Like others, I’m not that bothered about which league we’re in but want to be competitive and ambitious,  Barring this season’s unprecedented injury horror show, we’ve shown we can compete as parttime so I’d like us develop this model further (along with the linked expanded community arrangement).  Some of the full time teams we’ve played over recent seasons have been less than impressive and with others in the league below, I think this demonstrates it’s not a critical ingredient of relative success.

this seasons not done yet so I’m looking forward to competing in remaining games and accumulating what we can ….then looking forward to the more interesting seaside league sojourn

6 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Like others here, I’d be against going full time - I don’t think there's a big enough population-financial base (32nd largest settlement as one crude indicator) not that there’s an iron rule and would maybe place undue pressure on financial resilience. For some marginal part time teams like Cove, I’d be worried about the longer term viability.  That said, there are lots of small teams way down the lower leagues with dodgy financial backing.

Like others, I’m not that bothered about which league we’re in but want to be competitive and ambitious,  Barring this season’s unprecedented injury horror show, we’ve shown we can compete as parttime so I’d like us develop this model further (along with the linked expanded community arrangement).  Some of the full time teams we’ve played over recent seasons have been less than impressive and with others in the league below, I think this demonstrates it’s not a critical ingredient of relative success.

this seasons not done yet so I’m looking forward to competing in remaining games and accumulating what we can ….then looking forward to the more interesting seaside league sojourn

We’ve not competed in many games this season and I don’t see that changing for the final part. We are shipping goals for fun 

8 Cup Finals Lichties  🇱🇻⚽🔥💪🏆

Time is admittedly running out and everyone has written us off already but I still have faith and fully believe we can stay up but it is very much last chance saloon in these 3 upcoming home games. 

Building on from the momentum in the last  Home game against Raith we just need to go for it and leave nothing on the table, If we are destained for League 1 that’s fine but at least let’s go down fighting  🤩

We have already beaten these teams already this season and rather convincingly too so it can be done again. With the players we have got there is no reason why we can’t or won’t do it again so let’s get behind the team and roar them onto the great escape ⚽🔥🇱🇻💪 This Championship is so so bloody unpredictable and with a few wins and a bit of confidence returning then anything can happen and will give us massive confidence boost heading into the final few games. We just need to focus on ourselves and take it week by week, game by game 💪

8 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Time is admittedly running out and everyone has written us off already but I still have faith and fully believe we can stay up but it is very much last chance saloon in these 3 upcoming home games. 

Building on from the momentum in the last  Home game against Raith we just need to go for it and leave nothing on the table, If we are destained for League 1 that’s fine but at least let’s go down fighting  🤩

We have already beaten these teams already this season and rather convincingly too so it can be done again. With the players we have got there is no reason why we can’t or won’t do it again so let’s get behind the team and roar them onto the great escape ⚽🔥🇱🇻💪 This Championship is so so bloody unpredictable and with a few wins and a bit of confidence returning then anything can happen and will give us massive confidence boost heading into the final few games. We just need to focus on ourselves and take it week by week, game by game 💪

Clashy 2.0 with all that nonsense 

11 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

3 Home games back to back and we need at least 7 points I reckon. 9 would be better. Let's get to it and as said before "go down fighting". 

I have zero faith and think it would take some kind of major miracle to stay up

ToB not in squad again, what a nightmare season he’s had he must be completely broken. I have a feeling he’ll be off to join Dick and can’t say I’d even be overly arsed right now 

I would like to see guys like Slater and McIntosh playing more often though they’ll be here next season and could be important players next year too. Can’t see the young lad MacKinnon signing on a permanent considering he stays in Dingwall 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

28 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

ToB not in squad again, what a nightmare season he’s had he must be completely broken. I have a feeling he’ll be off to join Dick and can’t say I’d even be overly arsed right now 

What an insane thing to say.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why? 

He's had an entire season of unsettled defences, injuries, and being rushed back from injury before he was able, leading to more injuries, as you've said yourself.  And your solution is rather than give him a chance to rest, get fit, have a pre-season, be ready for the season, you think he should be scrap heaped?  Furthermore, how would that work?  He's on a long term contract at Arbroath, are you suggesting East Fife are going to cough up a large transfer fee?

19 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

He's had an entire season of unsettled defences, injuries, and being rushed back from injury before he was able, leading to more injuries, as you've said yourself.  And your solution is rather than give him a chance to rest, get fit, have a pre-season, be ready for the season, you think he should be scrap heaped?  Furthermore, how would that work?  He's on a long term contract at Arbroath, are you suggesting East Fife are going to cough up a large transfer fee?

I’m sure the Campbells could come up with a fee to see the deal through. 

He will be our biggest earner by a margin I reckon and he’s been in and out with niggling injuries all year maybe it’s all just catching up to him. 33 in August 

If push come to shove and I really had to decide I would verge on wanting him to stay but if he goes no I wouldn’t be overly arsed 

eta - there was also a lot of people unhappy with ToB performances last year - backed him to the hilt and put it down to how poor the team was but it’s been similar again this season even when he’s been fit 

Edited by 1320Lichtie