The Arbroath Thread

Although I totally disagree with signing him and paying for a player who I believe is not good enough to be first team in our squad I will still support the team as normal. Got my season ticket. Gav better up his game, stop being lazy and drop his popstar image and get on with proving to Arbroath fans that he is worth the money. I look forward to it if he proves to be a great signing but I won't hold my breathe.

Personally buzzing to see him return. Real quality up next to the hard working Doris. Should really really help Doris out, the understanding they 2 had in their last spell was on a different level. Let him sit in behind Stevie and play him, DD and Linn in, him and McCord doing bits in the middle. Whatley doing the running.

Wonder if he'll be able to play by Thursday.

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

8K is a bit steep for a 33 year old who's best days are behind him. Hopefully this works out

Totally agree with this. I am sure we could have spent this money more wisely on some other player.He had better shape up and knuckle under or he is likely to get pelters.

Not a player I would have re-signed after his tantrums under Sheerin.

Totally agree with this. I am sure we could have spent this money more wisely on some other player.He had better shape up and knuckle under or he is likely to get pelters.

Lining the boy up for pelters already

Sakes

Agree about his attitude under Sheerin but that was a long time ago now, and tbf after the first half of a season he'd had you can see why he'd be a bit pissed off

Wonder if we'll announce it today too

4 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

And there goes the Dressing Room.

It's certainly worth remembering this is 2017, not 2011. As a player, Gav has changed quite significently in that time. Anyone expecting him to come in, play up top with Doris and make runs in behind haven't seen him play in the last few years. That isn't his game anymore.

It's also well documentated that Gav is easily upset, as he has shown at Gayfield in the past and at Forfar. While I have little time for his attitude, I would say that after 18 months or so of not enjoying his football it may be that this move kick starts him again and we see the best of him.

It seems to me there is no other formation we can play than a 4-5-1 with Whatley sitting, McCord/ Swanks infront of him and Denholm/ Linn on the wings with Doris up top. If we go with that formation with the players we have, and get the cover we need at the back we're looking pretty. If we try to play 2 in the middle of the park with Swanks or Pongo as one of them we will struggle in there big time, and if we played the two of them together it would be hilarious defensively.

9 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

It's certainly worth remembering this is 2017, not 2011. As a player, Gav has changed quite significently in that time. Anyone expecting him to come in, play up top with Doris and make runs in behind haven't seen him play in the last few years. That isn't his game anymore.

It's also well documentated that Gav is easily upset, as he has shown at Gayfield in the past and at Forfar. While I have little time for his attitude, I would say that after 18 months or so of not enjoying his football it may be that this move kick starts him again and we see the best of him.

It seems to me there is no other formation we can play than a 4-5-1 with Whatley sitting, McCord/ Swanks infront of him and Denholm/ Linn on the wings with Doris up top. If we go with that formation with the players we have, and get the cover we need at the back we're looking pretty. If we try to play 2 in the middle of the park with Swanks or Pongo as one of them we will struggle in there big time, and if we played the two of them together it would be hilarious defensively.

Agree about Gav, looks like he was really unhappy at Forfar so it could really get him going again.

I think you are forgetting about Yule, he seems to be very highly rated with several full time teams interested in him, I doubt we have brought him in to be a bit part player, I can see him playing alongside Whatley and the other 4 positions are up for grabs. With Linn, Skelly, Doris, Swankie and Denholm we have some firepower that we badly missed at times last year.

Agree about Gav, looks like he was really unhappy at Forfar so it could really get him going again.
I think you are forgetting about Yule, he seems to be very highly rated with several full time teams interested in him, I doubt we have brought him in to be a bit part player, I can see him playing alongside Whatley and the other 4 positions are up for grabs. With Linn, Skelly, Doris, Swankie and Denholm we have some firepower that we badly missed at times last year.

You've just completely forgot about McCord [emoji85]

Simon I don't think Swanks game was ever running in behind and I don't think he's changed that much either. Get him on the ball in the number 10 position like back in the day and get the other 3 doing the running in behind. [emoji6]

A player who refuses to train with the team because he is lazy and the manager is pushing him harder to get the best out of him being the reason for falling out with the manager and also refusing to travel in the team bus to away games is a very poor attitude from a player who is meant to be a club captain.

For that fee he needs to prove to the club and the fans that he is worth every penny and he needs to get stuck in at training. Derek McInnes said when he was at St.Johnstone Swankie could have gone on to bigger and better things if he put more effort into his game and attitude.

I really hope he will prove all of us doubters wrong and be loved as an Arbroath player again.

Aside from the Swankie deal, has anyone heard any rumours of any defenders we are being linked with at all as we obviously need good cover at the back.