The Arbroath Thread

according to todays courier we have agreed a fee for him and goes straight into the squad for saturdays game

Paid a fee for him? Bit of a strange one considering the amount of midfielders we have and lack of defensive options, hopefully justifies it

Info on McKenna from Berwick Rangers website.

Michael became the ‘Gers joint-first Summer recruit in 2015, arriving alongside ‘keeper Kevin Walker from then-Championship side Livingston.

A regular in 15/16, the midfielder made 38 appearances across all competitions; featuring in the centre of the park, left of midfield and also as a forward.

Having racked up 16 yellow cards last season McKenna’s aggressive nature is seen more as positive by ‘Gers boss John Coughlin, who rewarded Michael’s tenacity with a deal lasting until 2018 in May 2016.

Hopefully he will be a good signing.

In my opinion, another of their players Kevin McKinlay would be a decent option for a left back or left wing back but I doubt that will happen. I remember him being decent for Berwick and Stirling Albion.

Info on McKenna from Berwick Rangers website.

Michael became the ‘Gers joint-first Summer recruit in 2015, arriving alongside ‘keeper Kevin Walker from then-Championship side Livingston.
A regular in 15/16, the midfielder made 38 appearances across all competitions; featuring in the centre of the park, left of midfield and also as a forward.
Having racked up 16 yellow cards last season McKenna’s aggressive nature is seen more as positive by ‘Gers boss John Coughlin, who rewarded Michael’s tenacity with a deal lasting until 2018 in May 2016.

Hopefully he will be a good signing.
In my opinion, another of their players Kevin McKinlay would be a decent option for a left back or left wing back but I doubt that will happen. I remember him being decent for Berwick and Stirling Albion.

If it’s the same McKinlay that played for us I’d advise you to avoid at all costs

ToB Little and Hammy will probably be the defence for the rest of the season, midfielders in squad who you can play full back too plus Yule to play centre half. Unless we had 2 injured I don’t think we’d be in too much bother at all and you’ve still got development loans to use too if required

Same was said last year

Potentially a situation where we have slightly too many first teamers and not enough squad filler? Obviously a far better situation to be in than having too much filler and not enough quality, but we're going to end up having a bench some weeks that are on more wages than some other teams entire budgets..... Another problem which could arise is obviously if you have 15/16 players who expect to be starting every week you're going to end up with some unhappy, well paid players in the dressing room.

In terms of McKenna as a player, while I am very surprised we've paid a fee for someone who plays in a position we've already got plenty of players in I think we need to see him in a good few games before any judgements can be made. Over the past few years McKenna has played in central midfield, on the wings and upfront I believe so he gives us an option in a variety of positions.

Dick is obviously planning longer term as we now have 6/7 signed up for next year also so while we may not see where he fits in right now I suspect the plan is really as to where he will fit next season. I would say if we do go up this year we'd better have the piss up to end all piss ups as with the guys we have signed for next year and the wages they'll be on we'd be looking at a potential Brechin esque situation.

Worth considering McKenna's disciplinary record - he is a nasty wee b*****d. Maybe something we've been missing on the park since Dick came to the club? No idea how he'd fit with Dick's 'booked before half time and you get subbed' rule which he sometimes imposes - McKenna couldn't deal with that :lol:

Im more worried about what will happen if we lose a defender or 2 to injury or suspensions.

We are awfully light at the back.

Lose ToB

Gold

Little

Yule

Hammy

Or

Little

Yule

Hammy

Lose Little

Gold

Yule

ToB

Hammy

Or

Yule

ToB

Hammy

Lose Hammy

Whatley

Little

ToB

Gold

Or

Little

Yule

ToB

Gold

Or

Little

ToB

Yule

If we had 2 out at the same time, which would be extremely unlikely, you could still get away with it but I’d imagine that’s when you’d maybe look to a defender on loan

Lose ToB and Hammy

Whatley

Little

Yule

Gold

Lose ToB and Little

Whatley

Yule

Hammy

Gold

Lose Little and Hammy

Whatley

Yule

ToB

Gold

Plenty of players to play in midfield, is it really that much of a problem?

Who’s paying the fees though? [emoji102]

I haven't got a clue. The accounts will be interesting reading this year.

My only concern is were struggling to get midfielders we already have in the team. Adding another one is not going to help that.

Hopefully Mckenna is good enough for the championship next season.