The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Not too sure, time will tell I suppose. 

He’s made what? 2 appearances? Guys only 30, his whole game is getting around the park being busy and winning the ball back. Hard to do that when you’re not anywhere near match fit.

Hell be good in LEAGUE 1 (no offence to Whatley but get it right up Montrose FC) 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

12 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Delighted that Cove got beat. Would even rather Montrose came up than them, horrible outfit.

I wanted them up to tick another ground off the list and an excuse for a night away in Aberdeen 

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I wanted them up to tick another ground off the list and an excuse for a night away in Aberdeen 

I live in Aberdeen so it would have been handy for me but I think they needed this defeat to teach them a bit of humility.

59 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I live in Aberdeen so it would have been handy for me but I think they needed this defeat to teach them a bit of humility.

They have a good side but it’s strange a whole lot of them seem to be Aberdeen area based. Be interesting to see how it goes for them when they start losing a few.

6 hours ago, ecto said:

Why is it we always seem to be wanting our old players back.

Kane Hester is only 25 years old and has still to reach his best as a football player - if he looks after himself he could potentially be playing for another 10 years - he is not an old player.

Perhaps what you mean is bringing ex players back to the club, which is very different to being an old player.

I'd like to see him back - but will leave such decisions to D.C who knows much more about football than most ( if not all) of us.

Been a bit of a debate amongst Red Lichtie fans if they wanted Stewart Petrie's team to gain promotion via the play-offs to be in the Championship with us for next season, some AFC fans saying it would be great to get 4 x derbies and probably 12 points guaranteed!!......everyone to their own i suppose and you are entitled to your own opinion.

BUT i am in the other camp where for all my life SP's current club was ALWAYS the Red Lichties MAIN and FIERCEST RIVALS and I ALWAYS wanted them beaten in EVERY game so even if it meant us not having any derbies next season (well i hope Dundee FC stay down) and getting some easy points then so be it as i am happy they will not be in the same league as us.

If we are the only part-time club in the Championship next season then that would hopefully benefit us having the pick of the top-drawer part time players still wanting to play at the highest level they can, also i would imagine SP would be a good bet of becoming the next Red Lichtie Manager when DC/Pink decide to retire (hopefully not too soon) and if we are in a higher league than his present club that would surely be a draw to him.

As long as we are in a league above all other Angus clubs then we are still THE KINGS OF ANGUS, 36-0. 

Been a bit of a debate amongst Red Lichtie fans if they wanted Stewart Petrie's team to gain promotion via the play-offs to be in the Championship with us for next season, some AFC fans saying it would be great to get 4 x derbies and probably 12 points guaranteed!!......everyone to their own i suppose and you are entitled to your own opinion.
BUT i am in the other camp where for all my life SP's current club was ALWAYS the Red Lichties MAIN and FIERCEST RIVALS and I ALWAYS wanted them beaten in EVERY game so even if it meant us not having any derbies next season (well i hope Dundee FC stay down) and getting some easy points then so be it as i am happy they will not be in the same league as us.
If we are the only part-time club in the Championship next season then that would hopefully benefit us having the pick of the top-drawer part time players still wanting to play at the highest level they can, also i would imagine SP would be a good bet of becoming the next Red Lichtie Manager when DC/Pink decide to retire (hopefully not too soon) and if we are in a higher league than his present club that would surely be a draw to him.
As long as we are in a league above all other Angus clubs then we are still THE KINGS OF ANGUS, 36-0. 

That’ll be me. In my day Montrose didn’t even count as a rival, they were so far below us.

When I was a boy and particularly in the early/mid 80s it was Forfar who were by far the bigger local rival. I remember Montrose games being no real big deal and even Brechin derby games had much larger crowds. The Montrose thing seemed to come later. 

Love to beat them though and there’s definitely something about the games and rivalry now.

Edited by Tattie36

53 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

When I was a boy and particularly in the early/mid 80s it was Forfar who were by far the bigger local rival. I remember Montrose games being no real big deal and even Brechin derby games had much larger crowds. The Montrose thing seemed to come later. 

Love to beat them though and there’s definitely something about the games and rivalry now.

I have been going to Gayfield since a boy since in the late 1960's and then and through to the mid 70's without a doubt Dundee FC/DUFC were the main rivals as we were in the top league with them but mid 70's until this day i would say the team in blue starting with "M" up the coast have always been our fiercest and main rivals, especially in the mid to late 70's and throughout the 80's and 90's this was a game especially up there where it was a vile atmosphere and there was a lot of trouble whereas in the 1980's/90's Brechin City was probably over that period the best Angus club but there was never any vile or trouble when we played them and to a lesser extent in the Forfar games as well, yes big crowds and rivalry but nothing compared to playing the team up the coast imo. 

14 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I have been going to Gayfield since a boy since in the late 1960's and then and through to the mid 70's without a doubt Dundee FC/DUFC were the main rivals as we were in the top league with them but mid 70's until this day i would say the team in blue starting with "M" up the coast have always been our fiercest and main rivals, especially in the mid to late 70's and throughout the 80's and 90's this was a game especially up there where it was a vile atmosphere and there was a lot of trouble whereas in the 1980's/90's Brechin City was probably over that period the best Angus club but there was never any vile or trouble when we played them and to a lesser extent in the Forfar games as well, yes big crowds and rivalry but nothing compared to playing the team up the coast imo. 

I think a lot of it depends on what the big rivalry was when you started going to games. I first went to Gayfield in the very late 70s but started going more regularly and got my first season tickets in the early 80s. That was when we were regularly challenging for promotion from the third tier, and Forfar and Brechin were also at the top end of the table. The games against them just seemed like bigger derbies with bigger crowds and more at stake. No doubt montrose has become by far the biggest rivalry since the mid/late 80s.