All things Dundee FC

12 minutes ago, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

If not a barrowload, he'd certainly do better than Faiss has IMO.

Yeah a barrowload is maybe pushing it given his form at Falkirk but if he was playing like he did when he first signed...

&

Lol, totally like - Faiss ain't no number 9!

I kind of agree with you... I don't think he was ever that good but he was a huge improvement over what we'd had up til then.
His workrate was immense but I think that was actually an issue in the end since he really should have been able to delegate scouting and the like to dedicated scouts and focus his energy on whats important for a manager.
His choice of player was wildly hit or miss but his first few seasons he found a few gems but he also picked up utter shite like Phil Roberts and laterly Tom fucking Hateley...
+
His supposed stubborness/attitude issues were meant to be the reason for the obvious rift that appeared in the team which ultimately comes down to man management for me since we went from a good tight squad to having a group that all wanted away for whatever reasons (Bain, Stewart, Hemmings, McGinn and Loy) and our fan favourite Harkins forced out of the club...

Totally and utterly this. The inability to delegate successfully is one of the biggest failings a manager of anything can make. If you spend all your time doing everything because you can do it better than the rest of your management team and your business still manages to grow, eventually you will implode. Also as you devote more and more time at the coal face ‘doing the day job’ you will have less and less time to develop your team, analyse their strengths and weaknesses, give more responsibility to the strongest of those who report into you and seek replacements for those who aren’t cutting it. I’ve had a large vodka.

I kind of agree with you... I don't think he was ever that good but he was a huge improvement over what we'd had up til then.
His workrate was immense but I think that was actually an issue in the end since he really should have been able to delegate scouting and the like to dedicated scouts and focus his energy on whats important for a manager.
His choice of player was wildly hit or miss but his first few seasons he found a few gems but he also picked up utter shite like Phil Roberts and laterly Tom fucking Hateley...
+
His supposed stubborness/attitude issues were meant to be the reason for the obvious rift that appeared in the team which ultimately comes down to man management for me since we went from a good tight squad to having a group that all wanted away for whatever reasons (Bain, Stewart, Hemmings, McGinn and Loy) and our fan favourite Harkins forced out of the club...

Just checked and Phil Roberts is down in Conference South with Braintree. 10 goals in 12 appearances...found his level!

Just checked and Phil Roberts is down in Conference South with Braintree. 10 goals in 12 appearances...found his level!

His ability was never in question. He could easily have made it at a bigger club than ourselves if he wasn't such a fucking waster.

His ability was never in question. He could easily have made it at a bigger club than ourselves if he wasn't such a fucking waster.

His crosses to goal ratio must have been quite good here. Corners against Raith (maybe imagined that), Celtic and St Johnstone and then a whipped cross as a sub against Thistle which caused an own goal. Seemed to have this really good style in how he delivered.

A massive fud and not all there in the head but I reckon he was genuinely one of the most naturally talented players we've had in recent years. Looking at someone like Boyle who has formed a very decent career for himself, he should have been light years ahead.

In the 20s games, he'd refuse to move. There was also the incident where he went out on loan to Alloa and stopped showing up to training. Danny Lennon then apparently went to meet him and gave him a big pep talk about getting him back on track and the two left pretty positive about things with the plan being he'd return in the next session and they'd have a fresh start - no show. The club also then helped him out after all of that and gave him a pre-season to restart which he made nothing of.

He's still young I suppose, he could make a football league side if he maybe grows up. Maybe some issues in the background there that we're not aware of.

His crosses to goal ratio must have been quite good here. Corners against Raith (maybe imagined that), Celtic and St Johnstone and then a whipped cross as a sub against Thistle which caused an own goal. Seemed to have this really good style in how he delivered.

A massive fud and not all there in the head but I reckon he was genuinely one of the most naturally talented players we've had in recent years. Looking at someone like Boyle who has formed a very decent career for himself, he should have been light years ahead.

In the 20s games, he'd refuse to move. There was also the incident where he went out on loan to Alloa and stopped showing up to training. Danny Lennon then apparently went to meet him and gave him a big pep talk about getting him back on track and the two left pretty positive about things with the plan being he'd return in the next session and they'd have a fresh start - no show. The club also then helped him out after all of that and gave him a pre-season to restart which he made nothing of.

He's still young I suppose, he could make a football league side if he maybe grows up. Maybe some issues in the background there that we're not aware of.

We had similar with Marcus Maddison, spent U20 games refusing to do what he was asked and moaned constantly about not getting a chance. Left us due to "homesickness".

Been linked with £1m+ transfers for the past year or two.

Strange how some players can suddenly just click in their own mind. If Roberts follows Maddisons example he could maybe end up similar.

Signed that a year ago and not a hope of him kicking a ball one year on.

Do we blame Hartley for this?

Harsh to blame anyone really. I'd have been pretty disgusted if we just cast him aside and by all accounts the contract was apparently a reduction in pay and it's not like it was a charity case either as he's been put to good use coaching our Youths and also has acted as our spokesman in the States.

Harsh to blame anyone really. I'd have been pretty disgusted if we just cast him aside and by all accounts the contract was apparently a reduction in pay and it's not like it was a charity case either as he's been put to good use coaching our Youths and also has acted as our spokesman in the States.

Agree he's been a good ambassador the past year or two.

I just don't see any progress/closure on his playing career. He can't be that far away if he plans a return?