All things Dundee FC

Looking at McCann's record in the league vs someone like McCulloch who similarly had an interim stint and was then awarded the job permanently after keeping his side up last season and who also oversaw an major squad overhaul brings it into sharp focus IMO.

In terms of numbers there's not much in it. Other than that you're able to say "...but McCann's team pass the ball neatly" and have some abstract notion that the team are just a couple of games away from "clicking". The fact that the Killie BoD realised very quickly giving McCulloch the gig permanently was a huge mistake and getting someone in with a track record and knows what they're doing says a lot and is clearly one of the smarter decisions they've made. 

McCann:
P 18 W 4 D 3 L 11 F 18 A 34 Pts: 15/54 = 27% points available

Points Per Game = 0.88
Win % = 22.2%
Goals Per G: 1
Goals Against Per Game: 1.88
Clean sheets: 1

McCulloch:
P 22 W 4 D 7 L 11 F 20 A 30 GD -10 Pts: 19/66 = 28% points available

Points Per Game = 0.86
Win % = 18%
Goals Per G: 0.9
Goals Against Per Game: 1.36
Clean sheets: 4

I am with [mention=70219]RossDee01[/mention] on this one. We just need either 1 of our strikers to find some form or pick up a half decent one in the window. There is too much panic when we are bottom for a couple of weeks.

I’m with both of you. As Ross said the Hamilton game was exactly how we played every week under Hartley. We are miles better. I’m much more confident of staying up than I was last season.

I am with [mention=70219]RossDee01[/mention] on this one. We just need either 1 of our strikers to find some form or pick up a half decent one in the window. There is too much panic when we are bottom for a couple of weeks.

I’m with both of you. As Ross said the Hamilton game was exactly how we played every week under Hartley. We are miles better. I’m much more confident of staying up than I was last season.

Could this work for ticket pricing in Scotland?

Baseball remains to this day one of the most popular sports in America and going to a match is a national pastime. Still, some games are a great deal more popular than others. For the New York Mets, a Saturday night game against their cross-town rivals, the New York Yankees, will have a great deal more natural demand than a mid-week game against a low-performing team from
the other side of the country. And yet, for years, the price of a ticket at most baseball matches was based solely on the location of the ticket in the stadium rather than what the actual demand for the game was. How- ever, this is changing across Major League Baseball and nowhere more so than at Wrig- ley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs. Here, yield management, often referred to as ‘dynamic pricing’, is being used to set ticket prices for games. So now, rather than hav- ing a ‘face value’ for a specific seat location within Wrigley Field, prices fluctuate daily based on ‘changing market factors’, as the team website states. So what are these fac- tors? There are two that appear to dominate
their approach to pricing – the day of the week and the opponent. First, prices of tickets rise steadily through the week, with a Monday game averaging just $27 in the bleachers (the section of the stadium where analysis has been carried out), whilst a Saturday game ticket averages around $76. On Sunday, the price falls back to $46. The opponent is also key to dynamic pricing too. Games against the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox fetch the highest average ticket prices given the prestige of the former and the local rivalry of the latter. Conversely, tick- ets for (apologies to their fans!) games against the Atlanta Braves and the Milwaukee Brewers averaged just $19 and $16. So for those with limited resources, go to a mid-week game against lowly opposition; for those who can’t skip work, go to a Sunday game; and for those where money is no object, enjoy Saturday night against the mighty Boston Red Sox!

Of the 4 teams immediately above us we have played them a total of 5 times.  Of the 15 points available we have gained 1 point.   

In other words he have given our nearest rivals a total of 14 points.

That is staggeringly poor by any standards.

Sorry, but it’s more than bad luck to only pick up 1 point against teams at the bottom of the league.  

I’m not saying it’s time for McCann to go but I am saying he has to reassess the way he sets out the team against teams who battle incredibly hard for their points.  

It does not fill me with confidence to hear McCann say he will not change the way he wants his team to play.  That sounds more like he’s putting his principles ahead of what’s best for the situation the club (temporarily) finds itself in.

28 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Dundee rob us blind when it comes to ticket prices. This won't change

I don't think anyone in Scottish football has the imagination to attempt something like this, although I think it would be a winner; even if only initially due to the novelty.

Of the 4 teams immediately above us we have played them a total of 5 times.  Of the 15 points available we have gained 1 point.   
In other words he have given our nearest rivals a total of 14 points.
That is staggeringly poor by any standards.
Sorry, but it’s more than bad luck to only pick up 1 point against teams at the bottom of the league.  
I’m not saying it’s time for McCann to go but I am saying he has to reassess the way he sets out the team against teams who battle incredibly hard for their points.  
It does not fill me with confidence to hear McCann say he will not change the way he wants his team to play.  That sounds more like he’s putting his principles ahead of what’s best for the situation the club (temporarily) finds itself in.

This is in spades - the reality is that we are losing almost two goals a game - we are having to score two just to get a point.

We need to tighten up at the back and be more destructive in midfield - Hibs were not frightened to foul or block the runner on Saturday - and usually in a place that wasn't dangerous.

We give teams too much space to run and don't support the defence as well as we could.

We need someone to take on that destroyer role in midfield - an enforcer to stamp (not literally) their mark on the game.

I actually thought we bossed the midfield for large parts of the game on Saturday. Our problem is definitely in the wide areas defensively. Our full backs are already fairly limited defensively and they're not helped by lazy wide midfielders in front of them. Deacon is often far too slow at getting back and following the full backs run.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

We need someone to take on that destroyer role in midfield - an enforcer to stamp (not literally) their mark on the game.

We've not had one since Big Davo was running amok, booting fuckers.

I actually thought we bossed the midfield for large parts of the game on Saturday. Our problem is definitely in the wide areas defensively. Our full backs are already fairly limited defensively and they're not helped by lazy wide midfielders in front of them. Deacon is often far too slow at getting back and following the full backs run.

Which brings me back to my original point - better to foul further up the park than give the player a free run as we often do.

Also think our midfield need to do more at set pieces to block runners.