All things Dundee FC

Well at least our goal for the next 2 games should be clear. At home vs Arbroath and Partick, should be aiming for at least 4 points out of 6. While our away form is pretty pish right now, we're 2-1-0 at home in the league, and we at least need to keep that strong record (preferably the undefeated factor in particular) intact for as long as possible. Arbroath are gonna be a pain in the ass are their style of play is specifically designed to do, and Partick could be a bit of an enigma with the whole Ian McCall shake-up. Get a win and a draw in the next two games and hopefully get a little bit of momentum going into away games vs Ayr and Alloa.

As I like to compare shit, I keep looking back at our previous stints in this league, and this kind of start is pretty common for us. Not up at the top where we like to think we should be, not down at the bottom where things are actually a worry. With a clearer head once more, we are a support very susceptible to overreacting quickly. I truly believe we will hit our stride at some point this season, I just hope it's sooner than later (well actually I hope it goes on the whole season but whatever). A point at Palmerston, a tough place to go with a shitty pitch, when taking everything else out of the equation, is a perfectly acceptable result that feels worse because of previous results. A couple positive results in a row and we'll hopefully kick on. Just gotta try and be patient just now. I'm struggling myself, but I know there's no point in sitting in a huff all week about it.

I'm all in on McPake. Guys deserve a chance and if it fails well, at least we tried. 

So much better than Jeffries, Calderwood etc. 

Right now, the midfield is seriously unbalanced. If Forster was half a yard faster, 3-5-2 is the perfect formation for this squad. We seem to try and shoe horn McDaid in. A diamond doesn't work. We need someone between Dorrans and Robertson. 

It's nothing I never expected this season, personally. Although other teams doing better than expected makes it a worry. 

Surely there comes a point when the strikers at Dundee take some of the blame? Yes your wingers are guff but you had two of them playing together tonight so surely they can fashion some chances together if they are so good? Especially with Dorrans behind them. I could understand if they were up top on their own as previous games

As an outsider I just don't think the options you have in the wide areas are going to be consistent enough. If everyone is fit (and I know that fitness is an issue), then something like a 4312 wth a variation of Ness/Byrne/Dorrans/Robertson/McGowan behind Nelson/Hemmings/Johnson might work. Your strikers all seem to be more comfortable with the ball into feet which a narrower shape might help with.

I think Forster will get ripped most weeks given that a fair share of teams in the league have reasonably mobile strikers. You really need to bin him.

Last night it was obvious that the midfield is an area that needs to be sorted, do that and Dundee still have more than enough to be very strong in this league.

I'm surprised that Dundee fans are surprised that filling a squad full of playmaking central midfielders, second tier level inconsistent wingers, and poachers, then having them managed by an absolute rookie dud, is seeing them struggle to create chances and win games.

Incredible your board still dont realise a high quality manager is more important than a high quality squad. Take out Hemmings and Dorrans, replace McPake with an actual manager, and youd be far better off.

I'm surprised that Dundee fans are surprised that filling a squad full of playmaking central midfielders, second tier level inconsistent wingers, and poachers, then having them managed by an absolute rookie dud, is seeing them struggle to create chances and win games.
Incredible your board still dont realise a high quality manager is more important than a high quality squad. Take out Hemmings and Dorrans, replace McPake with an actual manager, and youd be far better off.

The Virgin has a wee semi this morning [emoji23]

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Utter pish from start to finish. 

47 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I felt Nelson was dragged in to a midfield scrap.  He may not have added much up front but he put in some big tackles in midfield.  He wasnt missing in that sense.

I reckon Nelson put in our best defensive performance all night. 

46 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Did I just read that right? Out of two home games against Arbroath and Partick you'd be happy with 4 points? 

:lol:  holy f**k.

Aye, it's not quite the cakewalk you might expect down here, Tam.

You'll find out soon enough. 

To a point I understand fans saying we should not expect too much but let’s be honest with ourselves.

If it was United that:

1) Got relegated after their board had appointed an ex Dundee player as manager.

2) Replaced the manager with their under 21 coach (presumably a cheap option) and not looked for someone with more experience to get out if this league as quickly as possible.

3) Dropped as many points in so few games as we have and still haven’t registered a convincing win in this league.

4)  Repeatedly put in lacklustre performances with very few chances created, despite the players available to the manager.

5) Been crushed 6-2 again in a derby.

I think we would all be having a right good laugh.

Its simply not acceptable to hope that things will work out and if they don’t just shrug our shoulders and hope we stumble onto some sort of form.

13 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

To a point I understand fans saying we should not expect too much but let’s be honest with ourselves.

Well said, the entire post is spot on.

Im sick of simply wishing for better, for people defending dreadful performances, tactics & results. Saying things will get better hasnt worked for 4 years.

Of course, Im the most negative person in the world, whereas I should be happy and optimistic. However if you deal in cold hard facts, not wishy washy nonsense, then the season has started in truly abysmal form. We haven't had a single game where you came away and said that was really good, maybe Aberdeen, but the defeat was entirely McPakes fall, plus as mentioned, it was a defeat.

Anything less than 6 points from our next two games should see the manager sacked. This talk about giving him the season, maybe more just to learn is ridiculous nonsense, its a results driven business, and so far McPake is maybe 3/10. While he was a decent player for us, non of that matters when it comes to this season.

At the start of the season, I was the most optimistic Ive been since Hartley, Harkins, Stewart, Hemmings etc, that was just a few months ago, but now we have sunk as low as we have been for a decade.

If it was United that:
1) Got relegated after their board had appointed an ex Dundee player as manager.
2) Replaced the manager with their under 21 coach (presumably a cheap option) and not looked for someone with more experience to get out if this league as quickly as possible.
3) Dropped as many points in so few games as we have and still haven’t registered a convincing win in this league.
4)  Repeatedly put in lacklustre performances with very few chances created, despite the players available to the manager.
5) Been crushed 6-2 again in a derby.
I think we would all be having a right good laugh.
Its simply not acceptable to hope that things will work out and if they don’t just shrug our shoulders and hope we stumble onto some sort of form.
Agreed.
Simple terms we have been shite.
Our midfield is awful.
They don't help the strikers and they dont help the defence.
We have one decent defender ( McGhee) who in reality if we had at right back we would need two central defenders.
Strikers on paper look decent but right now no point mentioning since we cant get ball to them or if we do it just gets punted way past.
We have experience in Jimmy Nicholl and even if he has nothing to do we first team we are still giving Gordon Strachan a wage.

The Americans have certainly backed the club with money regarding bringing in players however overall it's been a complete fail , so much so we are struggling in more or less every game this season.
Everyone on here knows I was the most negative person on here ( I still can be ) but instead i find it easier to just laugh at us , just find it all pathetic right now sadly.

Would desperately take a play off finish but even after last night i kinda felt just please dont finish in a bottom half play off.

Buck lands at the board.