All things Dundee FC

We have a range of players in a dodgy stage of their career, Adam, Sow, Cummings.  I am ignoring guys like McGowan that is basically a decent player coming to the end. The first 3 were signed as game changers for the team.  

Sow is a bust, to use the US sports terminology; Cummings does ok but in reality given the level he is playing against? doesnt do it for me; Charlie...started great, faded over time.  Covid? Maybe. But he is looking more and more for the big pass play instead of a linking pass through midfield. This basically takes the midfield completely out of the game if it doesn't work. 

Charlie needs looked at and the end of the season as much as any other player. If he cant produce it now, then when? 

Edited by rainbowrising
Pissed typo

2 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

We have a range of players in a dodgy stage of their career, Adam, Sow, Cunningham.  I am ignoring guys like McGowan that is basically a decent player coming to the end. The first 3 were signed as game changers for the team.  

Sow is a bust, to use the US sports terminology; Cunningham does ok but in reality given the level he is playing against? doesnt do it for me; Charlie...started great, faded over time.  Covid? Maybe. But he is looking more and more for the big pass play instead of a linking through midfield. This basically takes the midfield completely out of the game if it doesng work. 

Charlie needs looked at and the end of the season as much as any other player. If he cant produce it now, then when? 

It would be interesting to see how CA gets on with 1. a thorough pre-season and 2. not being managed by a clown.

Ok Charlie, you lost your mother then suffered from Covid but that's no excuse for your poor form of late. And, it has been a spectacular fall from grace given how you pretty much ran the show early doors this season. Aye, plenty of others have been shite not just recently but all season but you're the one who is rightly getting it in the neck. 

Seriously lads.

8 hours ago, Fifespud said:

At the end of the day - no one is bigger than the team. Signing quality that’s at the end of its career, or damaged, or both - has not served us down the years I’ve been supporting the club.

Not since signing the ancient veterans  Gordon Smith and Bobby Wishart 

8 hours ago, Fifespud said:

At the end of the day - no one is bigger than the team. Signing quality that’s at the end of its career, or damaged, or both - has not served us down the years I’ve been supporting the club.

This. We've done this for as long as I can remember. The only really successful example was probably Caniggia who was terrific for us. Unfortunately that whole period almost resulted in the club going to the wall thanks to business planning that wouldn't have looked out of place in a Simpson's episode. 

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Ok Charlie, you lost your mother then suffered from Covid but that's no excuse for your poor form of late. And, it has been a spectacular fall from grace given how you pretty much ran the show early doors this season. Aye, plenty of others have been shite not just recently but all season but you're the one who is rightly getting it in the neck. 

Seriously lads.

Tbf everyone else who's been shite has had plenty of stick in here. Way more than Charlie. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Sorry, when did Charlie 'start great'? 

Does anybody even remember the start of the season? 

I would day he was a standout player early season, probably until around the 3-1 gubbing of Hearts. Of course this was largely due to the fact that he was surrounded on several occasions by absolute dross. 

I find the overreaction to the previous posts over Charlie's form pretty mental tbh. He's not even getting outright stick, just perfectly justifiable questions over his form and whether the team can perform without him, which despite being managed by McPake, it seems to be able to do. There's absolutely no question he is a quality player and has far more natural ability than anyone else in this Division, however there's equally no argument that his legs are gone and in games where we don't have a decent share of possession he is pretty much going to be a passenger. That of course is partly down to our clown of a manager to resolve, be it finding a formation which allows Charlie to impose himself on a game, or simply not playing him. 

There's absolutely no question he is a quality player and has far more natural ability than anyone else in this Division, however there's equally no argument that his legs are gone and in games where we don't have a decent share of possession he is pretty much going to be a passenger. That of course is partly down to our clown of a manager to resolve, be it finding a formation which allows Charlie to impose himself on a game, or simply not playing him. 

This.

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Our 4-4-2 set-up that's seen us win the past couple of games. I could see the justifcation though for starting the way we did though

Bit weird but think your set up was right, just the wrong personnel maybe.

From our perspective if you can stop Craig having space then we lose some counter attacking ability, so your shape with Anderson there was pretty effectively and maybe was a reason we played so poorly. 

Been looking at penalty records:
Lockwood's overall record and he'd scored 27 penalties and missed 1 in his whole career. He then missed 3 on the bounce for us.
Ryan Conroy's record is 16 scored, 1 missed (Neil Parry for Alloa saving it).
Charlie Adam meanwhile has 23 goals from the spot and 6 misses including 2 for us (he also missed against Cove).
Greg Stewart has converted 1 penalty in his career and missed 3.
Gary Harkins converted 15 penalties, missed 3 (not including the friendly miss against Man City of course!)
Finally, Leigh Griffiths has 25 penalty goals to his name but 8 misses.
Bizarre the way that players that are a wizard with the ball at their feet aren't exactly great with penalties. I wonder if Nemsadze would've been good at pens.
And going the other way, Jack Hamilton believe it or not, is considerably poorer than Scott Bain in terms of saving pens over both players career!

IMG_1617535451.230894.jpg

Charlie should start every week, I'm bored of watching the other losers try and fail 5 yard passes time after time.  Might as well let Chico try hit some worldie 60 yarders for a wee bit of fun, not like we're gonna get promoted anyway.

9 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Always been a believer that your best strikers should take penalties. Surely they’re supposed to be the best at shooting?

I'm the complete opposite. Goalies. They should be able to find top corners pretty regular.

10 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I think goalies should be shot. Just my opinion.

This is the only keeper I can recall that took pens, is there any in the modern game?

PANINI FOOTBALL 78 #479-DUNDEE UNITED-HAMISH McALPINE | eBay

Plus, if he misses it's a mad dash back up the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

This is the only keeper I can recall that took pens, is there any in the modern game?

PANINI FOOTBALL 78 #479-DUNDEE UNITED-HAMISH McALPINE | eBay

Plus, if he misses it's a mad dash back up the pitch.

City keep saying that Ederson is going to take their next one. Apparently he’s the best in training.