All things Dundee FC

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know you would obviously want Ross, as he has proven to be a decent enough manager, and he is a free agent. I wonder, though, whether he would actually want the job? This isn't meant as a "Why would anyone want to manage Dundee lol" - imagine any other club in your current predicament, does that seem like an attractive prospect to someone like Ross?

As for McGhee, his managerial reigns everywhere seem to produce a meltdown at some point, but 11 games is surely a record even for him?

Where does Ross go if not a lower end Prem club or top end Championship club? He's got a bit of the Stephen Robinson syndrome in that he's got a half decent reputation, but has been sacked (in Robinson's case left) by a club that means he can't get as big as that again currently.

The likes of Hearts or Aberdeen won't go for him any time soon. Then there's a cluster of clubs from the likes of St Mirren, ourselves, St Johnstone, Dundee United, Motherwell etc and what realistically can he do to increase his reputation? A Championship title that he'll have a huge budget comparitively for and then solidifing a club that is now yo-yo'ing is better on the CV than continuing to have St Mirren in the bottom 6 for instance.

Unless he goes down South, then there's not much of a selection for him like Stephen Robinson has found out when he left Motherwell and said he'd only join a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers if he returned to Scotland.

That said, I'd still personally prefer the return of Hartley.

Just now, Hendo said:

I believe Ross was a boyhood Dundee fan, so there might be an emotional pull. However, no disrespect but your club looks like a bit of a basket case at the moment - Ross is more likely to be looking for his next job to be somewhere he can rebuild his reputation- I doubt Dens will be the place to do it.

The basket case element is coming from McGhee and the fact that we're getting relegated with a whimper.

Nelms, usually to his chagrin considering the absolute roasters he picks as manager, actually gives the manager a very cushty gig in comparison to most clubs. They get backed heavily financially, they get given a lot longer than most other managers and they get absolute and total control over everything from the youth, to transfer policy, to punting players they don't want that are tied up on multi-year contracts. It's a very good gig for a competent manager - we just don't appoint those. Look at the last half decent manager we had, Paul Hartley, his downfall was that he didn't want to share the load of doing things and basically ran the club himself and then Hemmings & Stewart got sold from under him. Before that he was being linked with English Championship clubs such as Cardiff and probably should have left when the swing was still at a high point.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It will probably only really sink in when you are playing Cove Rangers in a league game.

As opposed to a Ross County or Livingston?

Cove's a decent away day (as is County for that matter) don't knock it.

It's Greenock fucking Morten that'll hit the nail home.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It will probably only really sink in when you are playing Cove Rangers in a league game.

I know it's supposed to be the Arabs moment, but I think everyone stopped caring a long time ago.

Somewhere between Christmas and McGhee being announced was the time but you missed it.

28 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

I genuinely read that as 'pumps all of East Craigie'... 🤣

@Mr. Alli will give it a shot I'm sure. A true man of the people.

Hi folks; I have some framed pictures of Dundee Greats, and nowhere to put them. I’d rather give them to fellow Dundee fans that can display them rather them just gather dust in my loft. Some are signed, all of them have official plaques in with the frame. If any of you are interested just give me a DM. Won’t be ripping the piss price wise, but they are all limited prints so will be fair. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is it? 

It's on an industrial estate on the edge of town. It's like going to a game at the Michelin. 

I'd take an away day at the Michelin any day before Greenock tbf.

35 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know you would obviously want Ross, as he has proven to be a decent enough manager, and he is a free agent. I wonder, though, whether he would actually want the job? This isn't meant as a "Why would anyone want to manage Dundee lol" - imagine any other club in your current predicament, does that seem like an attractive prospect to someone like Ross?

As for McGhee, his managerial reigns everywhere seem to produce a meltdown at some point, but 11 games is surely a record even for him?

27 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I believe Ross was a boyhood Dundee fan, so there might be an emotional pull. However, no disrespect but your club looks like a bit of a basket case at the moment - Ross is more likely to be looking for his next job to be somewhere he can rebuild his reputation- I doubt Dens will be the place to do it.

The man needs a bounce back, to reaffirm his reputation in the game and - in my opinion - get some more silverware, as he's gained this image from his times at Sunderland and Hibs as an 'always the bridesmaid' type. The issue with Dundee isn't the infrastructure, as there is ample resources to fund a team capable of competing regularly in the Premiership. The issue is the reputation of the owners, who are overly trusting and... clueless as to who they should back. I fully believe that it would just take a capable manager to guide the club to where it wants to be, and the issue we've had is the constant line of stinkers that have received the backing. Jack Ross is a man who is very capable of using the funds at his disposal to craft a solid team and use it effectively towards success. Both parties need an image rebuild, and with a solid manager like Ross in charge the goal of a quick return followed by sustainable Premiership football is very realistic. Jack Ross will receive funding as good as he would for several teams already in the Premiership, and should he help in a quick promotion he has carte blanche to build a squad from scratch and again prove he is a successful team-builder and coach who can stabilise an otherwise chaotic team.

I don't see many realistic options in Scotland that could provide a better opportunity for him, and unless any ambitious EFL League Two team or similar ilk interests him, how is a strong shot at winning a league title and then having the chance to build a competitive Premiership team not an appealing prospect for a manager looking to rebuild his reputation? Surely the fact that Dundee was his boyhood club would only sweeten that deal for him, at least that's what I would think.

It's easy to look at Dundee and see it as a basket-case, but we weren't viewed the same way during Hartley's time (or for most of it at least), and that was because we actually made the right hire for a change and competed well until he ran out of ideas. JR is better and should view it as a similar opportunity; I'm sure if he took it he wouldn't stay as long as Hartley did anyway, though I doubt he would wane like Hartley did anyway.

13 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The man needs a bounce back, to reaffirm his reputation in the game and - in my opinion - get some more silverware, as he's gained this image from his times at Sunderland and Hibs as an 'always the bridesmaid' type. The issue with Dundee isn't the infrastructure, as there is ample resources to fund a team capable of competing regularly in the Premiership. The issue is the reputation of the owners, who are overly trusting and... clueless as to who they should back. I fully believe that it would just take a capable manager to guide the club to where it wants to be, and the issue we've had is the constant line of stinkers that have received the backing. Jack Ross is a man who is very capable of using the funds at his disposal to craft a solid team and use it effectively towards success. Both parties need an image rebuild, and with a solid manager like Ross in charge the goal of a quick return followed by sustainable Premiership football is very realistic. Jack Ross will receive funding as good as he would for several teams already in the Premiership, and should he help in a quick promotion he has carte blanche to build a squad from scratch and again prove he is a successful team-builder and coach who can stabilise an otherwise chaotic team.

I don't see many realistic options in Scotland that could provide a better opportunity for him, and unless any ambitious EFL League Two team or similar ilk interests him, how is a strong shot at winning a league title and then having the chance to build a competitive Premiership team not an appealing prospect for a manager looking to rebuild his reputation? Surely the fact that Dundee was his boyhood club would only sweeten that deal for him, at least that's what I would think.

It's easy to look at Dundee and see it as a basket-case, but we weren't viewed the same way during Hartley's time (or for most of it at least), and that was because we actually made the right hire for a change and competed well until he ran out of ideas. JR is better and should view it as a similar opportunity; I'm sure if he took it he wouldn't stay as long as Hartley did anyway, though I doubt he would wane like Hartley did anyway.

Do you have funds at your disposal though? You came up last year, didn't strengthen at all which is why you are bottom of the league. 

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Do you have funds at your disposal though? You came up last year, didn't strengthen at all which is why you are bottom of the league. 

We've adjusted our budgets for the pandemic and made a profit in the Championship last season, so I would argue that yes, we will definitely have the funds at our disposal. That's not to mention the piles of money Keyes is sat on at any given time. Money isn't the problem.

The reason we kept with this squad isn't because we couldn't bring in anyone else, it's because McPake genuinely believed that the squad would be able to effectively compete in the Premiership. This has proven to be not true.

11 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Jack Ross and family are settled in Northumberland and he's very reluctant to upset his daughters' schooling. The likelihood of him uprooting to Dundee for Championship football and John Nelms.... extremely slim I would think.

:lol:

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Hi folks; I have some framed pictures of Dundee Greats, and nowhere to put them. I’d rather give them to fellow Dundee fans that can display them rather them just gather dust in my loft. Some are signed, all of them have official plaques in with the frame. If any of you are interested just give me a DM. Won’t be ripping the piss price wise, but they are all limited prints so will be fair. Thanks.

DM'd you bud.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Worth posting pictures of them on the thread bud. That's just me being nosey and wanting to see Dundee pictures though!