If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The referendum was ten or fifteen years premature and was prompted by a freak electoral result in 2011 that mainly revolved around whether the SNP or Labour would provide better governance rather than the constitution. A landslide No, which the Westminster elite anticipated when they agreed to a referendum largely on Alex Salmond's terms, would probably have killed the chance of another one when conditions might actually be ripe when today's older generation are no longer around. Instead, we now have Cameron talking about English votes for English MPs which is very much a case of crossing the Rubicon where respect for Unionism based on a shared British identity is concerned into the territory of English nationalism. Labour predictably said no an agreement on that so now Cameron has an issue to appeal to Middle England on a politics of English grievance against perceived fiscal imbalances created by Scotland's self-government. He needs to do that because otherwise it would be UKIP filling that niche instead. I suspect a couple of decades from now his speech this morning will be seen as the moment that the UK started to unravel in a somewhat similar manner to how Milosevic saying "you will not be beaten again" to a Kosovo Serb started the unraveling of Yugoslavia, because he moved from respect for the ideal of a shared Yugoslavia to a narrower appeal to Serb interests.

Ah, Panama. Rated at 9th in the world recently by the World Economic Forum, ahead of the UK's 89th.

Yet, according to Alistair Darling, a "basket case".

Ok then, don't let the door hit your arse on the way oot.

The referendum was ten or fifteen years premature and was prompted by a freak electoral result in 2011 that mainly revolved around whether the SNP or Labour would provide better governance rather than the constitution. A landslide No, which the Westminster elite anticipated when they agreed to a referendum largely on Alex Salmond's terms, would probably have killed the chance of another one when conditions might actually be ripe when today's older generation are no longer around.

I'm sure there will be another referendum in my lifetime but will the battle cry of the Yes campaign in the next referendum be asking people to kill their grandparents to ensure victory?

I'm sure there will be another referendum in my lifetime but will the battle cry of the Yes campaign in the next referendum be asking people to kill their grandparents to ensure victory?

No because, there won't be a generation around by that point that had their world view shaped when there was still a British Empire.

.. Yes would have finished on 54.3%.

Now I realise this is semantics, but it's quite an interesting statistic to me, insofar as it shows that the generation who want REAL change aren't going anywhere.

Thoughts?

Well it might, ignoring for the moment you are basing this conclusion on a very small sample of limited reliability.

Or it might be the case that age and experience have brought them to that point of view and it could easily end up the case that today's 40 somethings would vote similarly by the time they hit 65.

Or a bit of both. It would take a lot more analysis of the results to draw any solid conclusions from it.

We are all Team Scotland now, all democrats who respect the democratic settled will of the people of Scotland ?

Aye, I'm going to take respect lessons from a No voter who vacates the forum when things aren't going well, and returns only to gloat.

:lol:

Well that's true too. All the same people who distrusted polls sufficiently to think a YES was on the cards; also wish to be completely reliant on this one in order to confirm their unpleasant little prejudices.

Well said.

This has been the only place where I have seen the potential demographics being discussed in a sensible manner (to a point!).

My Twitter feed is full of people using it with some vitriolic prejudice.

Aye, I'm going to take respect lessons from a No voter who vacates the forum when things aren't going well, and returns only to gloat.

:lol:

Not going well ? what do you mean when you wet yourself and got over excited over one rogue poll ? That poll killed it for Yes ;)

In all fairness it would have been a big ask going around bawling and shouting in the ear of hundreds of thousands of white headed dithering old dim-wits, that don't know the time of day.

Breaking news - all pensioners are retarded. Great point Bigmouth.

Check the levels of understanding in other areas, like those of SIMD, for an equally bigoted viewpoint.

It's hard to be angry at them. Their entire perspective was formed by watching the BBC and reading the Dailyranger. It really was the corporate media against social media and although they won the battle, we will win the war!

I admire your gusto and drive. You should use that to find yourself a companion.

.. Yes would have finished on 54.3%.

Now I realise this is semantics, but it's quite an interesting statistic to me, insofar as it shows that the generation who want REAL change aren't going anywhere.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the figure is not possible and couldnt have been based on the actual vote.

Or it might be the case that age and experience have brought them to that point of view and it could easily end up the case that today's 40 somethings would vote similarly by the time they hit 65.

Except for the fact that 'age and experience' doesn't actually serve as either a qualitative or quantitative method of analysis: mostly because it is bollocks. Voting no on account of concerns over pensions, on the other hand, was both a large and age-linked factor. And age was overwhelmingly linked to a vote, and also linked to a generation of Empire, the Welfare State, and of whom large numbers used to vote for Conservatives and/or Unionists in the not too recent past.

Must do better.

Archived