If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given pensioners have worked their whole fucking life for the small sate pensions that they get, why would they trust YES that those same pensions wouldn't be negatively affected by independence? YES failed this demographic by chasing the youth vote.

As most 16/17 year olds haven't done a days work in their fucking lives I have no sympathy . So much for building a better country. First sign of trouble blame the elderly.

Mon the pensioners!

Those pensioners worked thanks to the provisions of a Welfare State that they gladly helped to shaft for the next generations, with free higher education that they scorn for anyone else, oversaw the breakup of any working-class political movements worth the name and a mass deindustrialisation project which largely removed the once far easier prospects to actually get a job. All to get their hands on social housing at a knock-down price and sell it to their vile sprogs.

The baby-boomer generation are the most selfish group in Scottish history, and this is thankfully the last of their selfish sabotages of the Scottish economy and society before they kindly f**k off.

Incorrect. All age groups turned a Yes vote, apart from the two oldest brackets. Not a decisive one, and not high enough to merit great praise, but a Yes vote nevertheless. The working-age population was likely split straight down the middle on the question.

It was the coffin-dodgers who determined the outcome.

Evidence?

Also pensions aren't paid out of any pot, or national debt. It's part of the welfare state which is paid for out of all taxation. This misconception that NI goes into a pension fund that could be taken away is hilarious. NI was a means of conning people into an additional tax to supposedly pay for the welfare state. The fact we don't take in enough tax revenue to cover state outgoings leads to national debt. That may be better in an independent scotland but my personal view is it would probably be worse

I would be curious to understand why the uk gov should have to pay pensions to non uk citizens in the event of a yes vote. Wouldn't that obligation immediately fall to the scottish gov?

Those pensioners worked thanks to the provisions of a Welfare State that they gladly helped to shaft for the next generations, with free higher education that they scorn for anyone else, oversaw the breakup of any working-class political movements worth the name and a mass deindustrialisation project which largely removed the once far easier prospects to actually get a job. All to get their hands on social housing at a knock-down price and sell it to their vile sprogs.

The baby-boomer generation are the most selfish group in Scottish history, and this is thankfully the last of their selfish sabotages of the Scottish economy and society before they kindly f**k off.

Just listen to yourself. They created the welfare state! there are many pensioners well into their late 70s and 80s, who made those changes, fought for those changes. They remember what poverty in the 30s and 40s was like. You talk like Wolfe Smith really, you're so far of the mark it's laughable.

Many pensioners today fought deindustrialisation in the 80s, and did the best they could so that their kids could wouldn't have to work in factories to do the dead end jobs they had to do to pay the rent and put food on the table.

I'll give you your dues though, your posts don't disappoint.

Just listen to yourself. They created the welfare state! there are many pensioners well into their late 70s and 80s, who made those changes, fought for those changes. They remember what poverty in the 30s and 40s was like. You talk like Wolfe Smith really, you're so far of the mark it's laughable.

Many pensioners today fought deindustrialisation in the 80s, and did the best they could so that their kids could wouldn't have to work in factories to do the dead end jobs they had to do to pay the rent and put food on the table.

I'll give you your dues though, your posts don't disappoint.

Well said. I deleted my post in case i have to engage with the despicable wee mollusc

Incorrect. All age groups turned a Yes vote, apart from the two oldest brackets. Not a decisive one, and not high enough to merit great praise, but a Yes vote nevertheless. The working-age population was likely split straight down the middle on the question.

It was the coffin-dodgers who determined the outcome.

Figures please, I read differently?

Surely if the working age population was split down the middle then this is a contradiction?

Just listen to yourself. They created the welfare state! there are many pensioners well into their late 70s and 80s, who made those changes, fought for those changes.

Clearly bollocks. A pensioner who turns 80 in 2014 was born in 1934. Which means that they in fact played no part whatsoever in the creation of the welfare state: they weren't even old enough to vote on the matter in 1945, and claim partial credit though that. None of them were part of the generation of politicians who argued for the idea.

They were on the other hand old enough to vote for the Scottish Unionist party en masse in 1955: giving the sectarian forerunners of the Tories a majority of the Scottish vote at that election.

I'm afraid the continual whitewashing of old people as grizzled war veterans no longer washes. The majority are now war babies or post-war, who contributed nothing but decline and failure for the wider society, and self-preservation for themselves. Deal with it.

How many folk who voted No in 1999 for the parliament voted No again yesterday?

Around 30% voted against the parliament (the rich, the Tories, the pensioners) and I'm guessing a number of them were at it once again. I'd love to speak to some of them to see if they realised they'd made a mistake back then - or stuck by that ridiculous decision?

Being on the right side of history is definitely making me feel a bit better about the whole affair. Unfortunately my dad and my father-in-law probably won't be alive to see it (their words - not mine), and it'll be down to my kids (18 months and 1 week respectively) to help get Yes over the line next time.

Figures please, I read differently?

Surely if the working age population was split down the middle then this is a contradiction?

Some people work well beyond the age of 55: others do not. Which means that while 55-64 were the only working-age sector to vote both No and by a large margin, we can't actually tell how many of those were retired, or not of working age if they were women over, say, 60.

The Ashcroft figures suggest that the working-age vote was somewhere between Yes and No in a close margin: without a nuanced breakdown of the 55-64s we can't say for sure.

Ever consult your moral compass? Read that nonsense you wrote about the "selfishness" of the present elderly generation. Without them you wouldn't be on here writing your uninformed, nauseating ageist sh**e!!

Piss off.

There's a great David Mitchell skit about how the elderly have lost their biggest weapon: 'we fought in the war for your freedom!'

The current pensioners are mainly the post-war baby-boomers who have had the best of bloody everything (free higher education, job security, right to buy council houses, property boom).

And can I point out that I am of course generalising. Obviously there are thousands upon thousands of pensioners living in terrible poverty / just getting by - but as a rule they've been lucky b*****ds.

Edited to include a personal apology to GD - who's quite clearly a guid c**t!

Ever consult your moral compass? Read that nonsense you wrote about the "selfishness" of the present elderly generation. Without them you wouldn't be on here writing your uninformed, nauseating ageist sh**e!!

Well said. I deleted my post in case i have to engage with the despicable wee mollusc

That went well.

How many folk who voted No in 1999 for the parliament voted No again yesterday?

Around 30% voted against the parliament (the rich, the Tories, the pensioners) and I'm guessing a number of them were at it once again. I'd love to speak to some of them to see if they realised they'd made a mistake back then - or stuck by that ridiculous decision?

I voted no to both. I'm a rich Tory. No regrets from me. Surely if someone voted No to both they wouldn't have thought voting against the parliament was a mistake.

I was joking about the rich bit.

I voted no to both. I'm a rich Tory. No regrets from me. Surely if someone voted No to both they wouldn't have thought voting against the parliament was a mistake.

I was joking about the rich bit.

So if you could you would have our parliament removed?

I reckon if there was a referendum on the parliament right now it would gather a 90% Keep the thing result.

History proves people wrong - and its been quite a while.

You believe yourself to be entertaining and during the betting and voting you and HB wrote some interesting posts. However that attack on the elderly population was low mate. Ageist nonsense that's far from the truth.

That went well.

Archived