If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

Nothing is free. Everything has to be paid for by someone. It was taken away in the last few years by the likes of RBS which left the government with no money. Not seeing much anger vented at them that caused poorer living conditions for all of us. Let me guess why...they're a Scottish institution.

Except for the inconvenient fact that most of the freebies handed to the baby boomers were taken away long before the financial crash of 2007-08.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Men and Woman aged 65+ have earned their right to vote whatever way they want, 16-17 year olds on the other hand....

Interesting to see that NO would of had an even larger percentage if the 16-17 year old's hadn't been given the vote.

Voting isn't something to be 'earned' champ - it's a universal right.

Nothing is free. Everything has to be paid for by someone. It was taken away in the last few years by the likes of RBS which left the government with no money. Not seeing much anger vented at them that caused poorer living conditions for all of us. Let me guess why...they're a Scottish institution.

God you've really not engaged at all with the issues.

When it was claimed RBS would leave - those of us on the left actually cheered! Its been a long time since RBS was a Scottish institution. It trades on our name but bears no resemblance to Scotland.

Its the neoliberalism (absolutely represented by the likes of RBS) of the last 30 years that folk wanted to roll back. They might not use this term but that is what's it all about - the greed of the bankers, and their protection by politicians and the mainstream media.

You also use the line - 'everything has to be paid for by someone' - but I take it that doesn't apply to the Westminster governments of the last 30 years?

There's also the issue that the older you get the more cynical you get about promises from politicians.

They remember 1997, 1979, 1974, 1970, 1966 . . . big changes in government that were followed by in all cases broken promises.

By the way it's easy to blame old folk - the SNP need to look much closer to home - why did so many people in their heartlands vote No?

So the call for a fairer, more inclusive, caring just society doesn't include some of the most vulnerable and frail with in it.

'P*sh stench Relics and Coffin Dodgers' who have worked hard/contributed all their lives, brought up their families and who love Scotland should be denied a say?

What a f*ckin terrible thread!

Don't use the angry and stupid posts to make a point about the Yes campaign in general. Its the Yes campaign that wanted a fairer society - especially for pensioners (and certainly the poorer pensioners).

No-one is saying (seriously) they shouldn't have voted - that's absolutely ridiculous. A No vote is the one that will continue to exacerbate fuel poverty for those in old age. Those of us on the Yes side were trying to end it!

By the way it's easy to blame old folk - the SNP need to look much closer to home - why did so many people in their heartlands vote No?

Because the SNP are cnuts as evidenced by some of the shiote their footsoldiers are spouting in here :)

If only they'd had a final solution for grannies in their manifesto.

There's also the issue that the older you get the more cynical you get about promises from politicians.

They remember 1997, 1979, 1974, 1970, 1966 . . . big changes in government that were followed by in all cases broken promises.

All broken promises by WM politicians.

Because the SNP are cnuts as evidenced by some of the shiote their footsoldiers are spouting in here :)

If only they'd had a final solution for grannies in their manifesto.

There are a few posters making c***s of themselves on here - but by and large they joined the forum in the last fortnight.

This isn't point scoring, it's vile. Confi is outside the criticism though because he made a point and maybe his heart spoke a bit but at heart he's guid c**t. He'll be along to slag me off and I'll retract this statement :P

I'm fucking quoting this for posterity! I AM a good c**t.

Ha ha - the nationalist rants eh?

You can tell yourself whatever you like but independence is inevitable.

Progressive politics always succeeds - sometimes not right away - but it always wins in the end.

Independence is most certainly not inevitable. The democratic will of the people has spoken the people have told independance NO. You should put your efforts into a more realistic goal like help making Britain even better.

Voting isn't something to be 'earned' champ - it's a universal right.

Really my 4 year old child was denied the univerisal right who do I complain to?

Independence is most certainly not inevitable. The democratic will of the people has spoken the people have told independance NO. You should put your efforts into a more realistic goal like help making Britain even better.

People who opposed giving the working classes the vote in the 19th century would've said the same. Like I said - you can take comfort in the No vote for the next few years - but this issue will not go away. And as time passes and those with a stronger connection to the union (via the war in particular) pass on there will be no stronghold left to prevent independence from happening.

It'll just be you, the wealthy, and the knuckle-dragging rangers fans (note that I'm not saying all rangers fans).

People who opposed giving the working classes the vote in the 19th century would've said the same. Like I said - you can take comfort in the No vote for the next few years - but this issue will not go away. And as time passes and those with a stronger connection to the union (via the war in particular) pass on there will be no stronghold left to prevent independence from happening.

It'll just be you, the wealthy, and the knuckle-dragging rangers fans (note that I'm not saying all rangers fans).

Why will there be another vote? We voted NO can you understand that vote was a one off now it has thankfully been put to bed we can continue as one.

55% voted No, at least half of the Yes voters were doing so in protest against Westminster. So overall people who genuinely what independence is probaly 25-30%. Why cant you just accept that unfortunately Yes was defeated its time to move on.

One of things that is a must is the young need to be educated with regards to the ills of all of this nationalist bigotry.

People who opposed giving the working classes the vote in the 19th century would've said the same. Like I said - you can take comfort in the No vote for the next few years

If by next few years you mean the rest of his life, then I'd agree.

Your living in cuckoo land if you think that this will happen again anytime soon!

Why will there be another vote? We voted NO can you understand that vote was a one off now it has thankfully been put to bed we can continue as one.

55% voted No, at least half of the Yes voters were doing so in protest against Westminster. So overall people who genuinely what independence is probaly 25-30%. Why cant you just accept that unfortunately Yes was defeated its time to move on.

One of things that is a must is the young need to be educated with regards to the ills of all of this nationalist bigotry.

^^^ idiots found

Archived