If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

Its about the much-discussed issue of the baby-boomer generation - and how they had their cake and ate it (then got another few dozen cakes and left future generations with the Greggs bill).

This, though, bears no relation to the Scotland I grew up in from when I was born in 1959 until I went to Uni in London in 1981. My auld dear was a shop worker and my auld man worked in the steel industry. I worked for 4 years before Uni and, when I went, had saved money to help me through.

Yes, of course, I got a 'mature student' grant by dint of 4 years employment and, of course, I paid no fees. However, I don't remember any sort of gravy train in the manner you're trying to indicate.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, though, bears no relation to the Scotland I grew up in from when I was born in 1959 until I went to Uni in London in 1981. My auld dear was a shop worker and my auld man worked in the steel industry. I worked for 4 years before Uni and, when I went, had saved money to help me through.

Yes, of course, I got a 'mature student' grant by dint of 4 years employment and, of course, I paid no fees. However, I don't remember any sort of gravy train in the manner you're trying to indicate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055497/JEREMY-PAXMAN-Baby-Boomers-selfish-generation-history.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jul/05/baby-boomers-voting-muscle

There was a lot of discussion about this topic after the 2008 crash and the cuts that followed. For me the biggest example is the right to buy (tantamount to theft of council housing) followed by a ridiculous boom that has left a housing crisis to the generations following (unless of course you're lucky enough to inherit from baby boomers).

Like I mentioned earlier - its very much a generalisation - and there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. It just so happened that everything was pretty much free and in the last few years a lot of that has been taken away.

There really aren't 'many': 65 is now born in 1949: I suspect only half of the current old biddies were even able to vote in 1955. And even those who did will have to account for their choice of open bigots in 1955, just as they will for choosing a cretinous constitutional settlement for their own self-interest in 2014.

There were enough last night! I'll look up this 1955 election when I get back from holiday. You're quite agitated about it. As for self interest, we are all self serving to some degree or another. Just look at your own posts.

I know for a fact my mum voted no because she was worried about her pension (born 1941) - she was proper upset about it today too. Definitely a Yes at heart :(

That is one the saddest parts in this. The number who actually wanted to vote Yes but crapped out of it because of fearmongering by the media. At least the next generation of pensioners will not be so easily swayed.

Well that's true too.All the same people who distrusted polls sufficiently to think a YES was on the cards; also wish to be completely reliant on this one in order to confirm their unpleasant little prejudices.

Yup.

Like I mentioned earlier - its very much a generalisation - and there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. It just so happened that everything was pretty much free and in the last few years a lot of that has been taken away.

Nothing is free. Everything has to be paid for by someone. It was taken away in the last few years by the likes of RBS which left the government with no money. Not seeing much anger vented at them that caused poorer living conditions for all of us. Let me guess why...they're a Scottish institution.

Nothing is free. Everything has to be paid for by someone. It was taken away in the last few years by the likes of RBS which left the government with no money. Not seeing much anger vented at them that caused poorer living conditions for all of us. Let me guess why...they're a Scottish institution.

You're not seeing much anger at the banks? What fucking cave are you dwelling in?

Consult the Lord Ashcroft poll yourself.

the 16-17 age group consists of 14 people. A whole 10 people in this age group voted yes. You could get more people by standing in the street. I don't think its the right poll to be making sweeping generalisations about.

I should add, if this is an example of the 'extensive reading'/ research that yessers have been doing prior to coming up with their decision then I don't think they have read around the issue anywhere near enough to criticise others for not doing so.

So if you could you would have our parliament removed?

I reckon if there was a referendum on the parliament right now it would gather a 90% Keep the thing result.

History proves people wrong - and its been quite a while.

Would you (all) rather have the kind of devolution that is being discussed for south of the border i.e. more of a regional rule as opposed to a central rule?

You're good, I'll give you that. This is gong to decend into claim and counter claim, a bit like the whole referendum really. Baby boomers is a term you used to describe "all pensioners" but refers exclusively to a post war generation. My point is that there are plenty of pensioner voters who did their national service post 45 still kicking around that have a better grasp of what happened In the 1955 election than you do. The post war consensus went up to the early 70s , which I note you are not acknowledging, so even some baby boomers would have been part of it. Your selective use of data points in history helps to build your argument, but fails to take into account the bigger picture , again much like the YES arguments in the referendum.

Regardless, you have no grace in defeat, and a I for one, welcome the fact many pensioners will be sleeping more soundly tonight .

Sleeping more soundly. What an absolute fucking tit you are.

Well that's true too. All the same people who distrusted polls sufficiently to think a YES was on the cards; also wish to be completely reliant on this one in order to confirm their unpleasant little prejudices.

Indeed. You would think they were just absolutely desperate for someone to blame, even if that meant contradicting the values the Yes campaign had been putting across throughout the whole campaign.

I was out with my wife and kids yesterday and couldn't help looking at pensioners and thinking "it's your fault".

Selfish and belligerent their whole lives to the detriment of anyone else.

And anyone who thinks they have "political nous" needs to get a grip.

I was out with my wife and kids yesterday and couldn't help looking at pensioners and thinking "it's your fault".

Especially those ones that fought in the second world war. absolute arseholes

:lol:

If you fought in the second world war, you'd have to have been born AT THE LATEST, by 1928, which would make you 86 now.

How many 86 year old men do you see in Scotland?

Have a think about what you're saying.

How many that fought in the Second World War are still kicking about? There can't be that many of them still kicking about the streets.

Confidenus, my dad is 70 and he and my mum both voted Yes.

Confidenus, my dad is 70 and he and my mum both voted Yes.

My in laws are in their late 60s and both voted Yes. There are good guys, but the vast majority of the blue rinse brigade voted No out of belligerence and self interest.

Your capacity to used generalised trends in order to feel ill-will towards individuals about whom you know nothing, is actually a bit disturbing.

:lol:

If you fought in the second world war, you'd have to have been born AT THE LATEST, by 1928, which would make you 86 now.

How many 86 year old men do you see in Scotland?

Have a think about what you're saying.

There were 15,896 86 year olds in Scotland in 2011. 87277 aged 86 and over. Is it those between the age of 65 and 86 you blame then?

I don't think you are doing much thinking about what you are saying regarding your new found hatred of old people, based on a daft poll - especially given the fact you apparently paid no attention to the polls in the run up to the referendum......

Archived