If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My in-laws are both very staunch "no" -the reasons they gave were - fear about not getting their pension, not wanting to have to have a passport to go to The Lake District, and because Labour said they should vote no.

They know both my wife and I voted yes - got an email from my m-i-l this morning - saying -she was glad the result went the way it did, better the devil you know and maybe we can all try again, once they're dead and gone.

I reckon a significant percentage of the yes vote was a protest vote but that they'll swing back to labour now it's over.

If they hadn't it would have been a higher percentage for the no's.

protesting against what ?

Theres a great deal of misunderstanding surrounding pensions in every demographic, it wouldnt shock me if a majority of people still thought they were paying into a savings account their whole.life. Its hardly in the governments interests to re-educate folk on that one.

Theres a great deal of misunderstanding surrounding pensions in every demographic, it wouldnt shock me if a majority of people still thought they were paying into a savings account their whole.life. Its hardly in the governments interests to re-educate folk on that one.

Well, let's face it, BTUKOK did release a pamphlet alluding to a large UK wide pot that pensions are paid into.

It's just this type of propaganda that will reinforce an older person's stubbornness when it comes to remaining in the Union.

Pensions are paid for with national debt, with a few minor steps in between to conceal the paper trail.

If this poll is right, then Yes voters will be paying for the current batch of No voters pensions and health care now and interest payments long after theyre all dead.

I reckon a significant percentage of the yes vote was a protest vote but that they'll swing back to labour now it's over.

If they hadn't it would have been a higher percentage for the no's.

I think they'll all look forward to voting for "honest" Ed Miliband

Except for the fact that 'age and experience' doesn't actually serve as either a qualitative or quantitative method of analysis: mostly because it is bollocks. Voting no on account of concerns over pensions, on the other hand, was both a large and age-linked factor. And age was overwhelmingly linked to a vote, and also linked to a generation of Empire, the Welfare State, and of whom large numbers used to vote for Conservatives and/or Unionists in the not too recent past.

Must do better.

I see where you're coming from but.......the old codgers already have a pension which, in my mind, would/should be untouchable as we would almost certainly still be part of the EU after Independence. I would see it more as an "age-linked factor" among "pension worried" voters of my age who are almost there, but not quite, ie those with between 3-15 years to go. I'm not saying their fears have grounds, just that they would surely be more likely to fall into this demographic?

There almost certainly wasn't a real threat but that wasn't how it was played in the campaign. Throw into the mix the fact that the same old biddies are the advance, zimmer guard of UKIP south of the border and I think we can safely conclude that they are a bunch of utter c***s.

More harsh winters please.

There almost certainly wasn't a real threat but that wasn't how it was played in the campaign. Throw into the mix the fact that the same old biddies are the advance, zimmer guard of UKIP south of the border and I think we can safely conclude that they are a bunch of utter c***s.

No need for harsh winters. A mild winter is enough since they can't afford to put the heating on :lol:

But we're not talking about south of the border, we're talking about Scotland's own parma violet and piss scented relics. I still don't think they are to blame for the, "pension scare", vote, I believe it is the, "almost there", types who, rightly or wrongly, believed their pensions were at risk.

Most ages groups turned in a "no" vote with the twenty to thirties being the big yessers.

Most ages groups turned in a "no" vote with the twenty to thirties being the big yessers.

Incorrect. All age groups turned a Yes vote, apart from the two oldest brackets. Not a decisive one, and not high enough to merit great praise, but a Yes vote nevertheless. The working-age population was likely split straight down the middle on the question.

It was the coffin-dodgers who determined the outcome.

Given pensioners have worked their whole fucking life for the small sate pensions that they get, why would they trust YES that those same pensions wouldn't be negatively affected by independence? YES failed this demographic by chasing the youth vote.

As most 16/17 year olds haven't done a days work in their fucking lives I have no sympathy . So much for building a better country. First sign of trouble blame the elderly.

Mon the pensioners!

Archived