Dundee United vs St Johnstone - 27/09/14

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, try as he might, Madden couldn't give Saints the win :P

He certainly gave it a go didn't he? Some of his decisions were astonishing. Fortunately they didn't come to anything and the Tangerine Dream Machine marches on again.

Top of the league into October and we still haven't played that well. Ooooft B)

He certainly gave it a go didn't he? Some of his decisions were astonishing. Fortunately they didn't come to anything and the Tangerine Dream Machine marches on again.

Top of the league into October and we still haven't played that well. Ooooft B)

I was genuinely laughing after Davidson's 6th or 7th foul. He was going to have to kill someone just to get booked :lol:

I mean, it's not like it could've been a case of mistaken identity either, not like anyone else on the pitch has those "flowing locks" as stumigoo puts it.

We had strikers last year.

Fair point :lol:

Comfortable victory. Despite us not playing well this season, we are sitting two points clear at the top of the table. St Johnstone were pretty poor to be honest. Not sure why they persisted in pumping long high balls as Jari and Morris were gobbling them up for fun. Have to say that Dow and Bilate need a spell on the bench as both have been brutal in the last couple of games

The only shock here is that the United fans are shocked we weren't very good. Pretty much what I expected today, with the major frustration being we were relatively comfortable until some schoolboy stuff at a corner was punished clinically on the break. United deserve credit for that as I don't think we have it in us to sweep through a team like that but it all stems from Davidson going up for a corner when he should have stayed back. I appreciate he was late going into the side but you can't make organisational mistakes like that at this level. Game was pretty much over after that, although we rallied for maybe five minutes when we made the double change and hit the post. It was but for a brief moment though.

As said before the match, a lot of this situation is self-inflicted as it was Wright that signed Morgan (has he won a competition or something?) and we knew the score with Graham. Folk seemed to be getting upset about our lack of attacking threat but the manager can only work with the players at his disposal but in terms of adhering to the plan, I actually thought today was better than the last couple of league matches!

There are obvious deficiencies in the squad but it's also a concern that some players aren't playing to the level they are capable of, notably Wotherspoon. His confidence looks shot to me but you can't just keep on playing him to save denting it even further when he isn't producing anything. I know it's a small point but it was his dreadful corner that went right into the arms of Cierzniak before the opener as well.

Very weak in middle with caddis and McDonald. Caddis isn't good enough at this level. Hides far too often. Bad feeling about this and expect us to be on end of a 2 or 3 goal loss : (

-------------------------------------

Don't know if you were there,but Caddis was one of our better performers along with Muzz,and never hid once,actually he was looking for the ball more than anyone else

it all stems from Davidson going up for a corner when he should have stayed back. I appreciate he was late going into the side but you can't make organisational mistakes like that at this level. .

--------------------

Pretty sure he was told to go up for the corner from the bench,doesn't excuse the poor defending after the corner,or the over committing for it,but it looked like a managerial decision,but he forgot to get someone back to replace Muzz.

The Saints defence really is a conglomerate of absolute hammer throwing cloggers.

That is probably the poorest game I've seen from Dow and I strongly suspect that the peak of Bilate's Utd career might be that thunderbolt against 'Well. Fojut was immense again - didn't put a foot wrong.

Pretty sure he was told to go up for the corner from the bench, doesn't excuse the poor defending after the corner, or the over committing for it, but it looked like a managerial decision, but he forgot to get someone back to replace Muzz.

You are maybe right about him getting the go ahead but it obviously wasn't in the script as Millar would have stayed back (and Davidson did for corners after that) and like you say, they didn't do enough to compensate for it. It was a great break from United but we give ourselves so much more of a chance of defending against it if we're properly organised.

Also agree that Caddis was decent all things considered. He would get more confident if given a run of games too.

Didn't see any of the game or really hear anything about it, but can anyone be surprised at that result? Away from home to the league leaders, missing vital players (Scobbie, Maclean and Graham before we even left Perth - and you could even add in Brown there as a regular starter now - and Millar in the warm up) and without a recognised striker in the starting XI.

It's an oft-used phrase in these scenarios, but I doubt any team at our level could survive with important players ripped out of the team like that. Leaves us with McDonald and Davidson together in midfield with a fringe player in Caddis. That's two players who shouldn't play together - one of whom wouldn't be in my best XI - with a guy who's barely played since the league campaign started. Not good.

Hope Millar isn't going to be another long term absentee...

Apart from the two goals, that was as dull a game as I can remember. Nothing was really coming off for anyone, and St Johnstone rarely even attempted to attack.

Can't com pain that we keep picking up the points when we're playing poorly. I wonder if we'll ever get back to the form of last mid-season?

My highlight was Anderson raging to the ref for about two minutes after Ciftci ran into the back of him - gotta love a centre back who loves dishing it out, but cries like a wee girl when he gets it back!

My highlight was Anderson raging to the ref for about two minutes after Ciftci ran into the back of him - gotta love a centre back who loves dishing it out, but cries like a wee girl when he gets it back!

Especially since he blatantly body checked a United player (I forget who) just 2 minutes earlier when chasing a through ball.

The Category Bs have had their day in the sun. They were a one man team and even though May has gone there will be no summer (see what I did there).

My biggest surprise is the lack of reference to the Scottish Cup on this thread.

Deserved win. Fojut outstanding again, Erskine like a new player, and Ciftci actually passing the ball. Another wee bit of genius from him for the first goal.Still tap.

I'd hate to go back to last year's United thread and see how many of us gave Erskine stick.

Archived