General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Don't understand all the good wishes for Ad Lib. He's standing for a party that has supported a right wing government over the past five years and has defended his party's support of the Tories and their policies.

When challenged about the Lib Dems breaking the key election pledge on tuition fees he was totally dismissive. I hope that he, along with every other Lib Dem, Tory, Labour and UKIP candidate has a totally shit night on May 7th.

I won't apologise for the breaking of a pledge I didn't make, broken by a party I wasn't a member of either at the point that pledge was made or broken, in relation to a policy position with which I didn't agree at the time, and with which I do not agree now.

The new tuition system in England is better than the one it replaced, imposing more of a burden on higher earning graduates than before, less of a burden on lower earning graduates than before, increasing maintenance support for all and disproportionately to the benefit of students from low earner households, and it largely protects University provision without doing what the Scottish Government did when it savagely cut college places. College places that, as it happens, are disproportionately taken up by economically disadvantaged school leavers.

I am happy to stand by that record of action in government. My only regrets are that the Lib Dems didn't come round to my position earlier and that the Scottish Government has dogmatically refused to follow suit, leaving people here with a system that demands more from the least advantaged graduates than the English system and leaves would be vocational learners on the scrap heap.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Health warning due to sample size but latest yougov polling Scottish subsample goes

SNP 51

Labour 22

Tories 13

Lib Dems 10

Ukip 2

Greens 1

Surprised the lib dems are as high as 10 and the green figure is really interesting and backs up what I am finding with pals in the greens that they will lend votes to snp in fptp

The Liberals are going to get destroyed UK wide.

The perennial fence sitting party that has done nothing for 100 years, finally got its chance at high office and then reminded everyone why they should remain in the doldrums.

Wee Wullie getting his jotters at the Scottish elections next year would be the icing on the cake.

The Liberals are going to get destroyed UK wide.

The perennial fence sitting party that has done nothing for 100 years, finally got its chance at high office and then reminded everyone why they should remain in the doldrums.

Wee Wullie getting his jotters at the Scottish elections next year would be the icing on the cake.

Rennie won't get his jotters because of our weird electoral system. The only way he could lose his seat would be if the Lib Dems somehow won a constituency in his area and smoked their AMS divisors. It really is a strange system.

What poll was that. Smallest gap I saw was tns poll few days ago that was 41 31 snp v labour (10 point gap)

Scottish subsample from one of the several UK polls that come out on a daily basis.

The most recent Scottish polls I'm aware of are the TNS poll with the 10 point gap and the Ashcroft constituency polling.

While I'm against people going from school to uni and straight into politics. It doesn't mean to say that someone in their early 20's shouldn't be running for political office, as long as they have at least some degree of experience in the free market. Preferably a job that is a wealth creating one and not a wealth destroying one. Mind you we have MPs who show up for votes. Not knowing what they're voting on; hardly ever show up for debates and don't respond to e-mails sent by their constituents.

How about a concern for their constituents? "Free market"," wealth creating "... Fuxake. We elect these people to represent us, not to perpetuate the materialistic " good for business " agenda that sees the vast majority of the population's quality of life and civil rights eroded year on year while those who have never had to make a budget based on priorities sail on regardless.

The electoral system in this country is broken. We're not far away from the best option being a real revolution. Unfortunately, this would have to be scheduled not to clash with the X-Factor or Coronation St.

I won't apologise for the breaking of a pledge I didn't make, broken by a party I wasn't a member of either at the point that pledge was made or broken, in relation to a policy position with which I didn't agree at the time, and with which I do not agree now.(1)

The new tuition system in England is better than the one it replaced, imposing more of a burden on higher earning graduates than before, less of a burden on lower earning graduates than before, increasing maintenance support for all and disproportionately to the benefit of students from low earner households, and it largely protects University provision without doing what the Scottish Government did when it savagely cut college places. College places that, as it happens, are disproportionately taken up by economically disadvantaged school leavers.(2)

I am happy to stand by that record of action in government. My only regrets are that the Lib Dems didn't come round to my position earlier and that the Scottish Government has dogmatically refused to follow suit, leaving people here with a system that demands more from the least advantaged graduates than the English system and leaves would be vocational learners on the scrap heap.(3)

1, So you're quite willing to represent a Party which acts in a manner you don't agree with?

2. Call me old-fashioned, but if you think £9k a year debt being loaded onto young people even before they start their working life is preferable to the system in Scotland, then you're frankly mental. Sure, there's shitloads of people going to University these days - to the extent that the perceived value of a degree is akin to a Zimbabwean banknote. When everybody's special, nobody's special. But that's alright, because the Universities are businesses now, and they're coining it in. That's right - education for profit. Makes you think a wee bit on the motives for creating all those new places, doesn't it? (rhetorical question - you obviously see the system as being acceptable)

3. You're happy to stand by the Lib Dem's record in Government? Doing as they're told so that Clegg gets to go for tea with Cameron now and again? Aye, they've been fucking brilliant. You must have misremembered the student demonstrations in 2010 - an understandable reaction to an entire generation of new voters betrayed by a Party whose USP was to act against tuition fees, but were then complicit in tripling them.

If you had any kind of morals whatsoever, you wouldn't even vote for yourself.

Sounds like he wants the House of Commons to become the House of Lords.

Ridiculous to put an arbitrary age limit. The voters will decide. Although maybe some sort of common sense test could be applicable?

Unfortunately, we've got universal suffrage. Unless they're royal, criminal or (certified) mental, they can vote. A right they normally reserve for helping to fund LCD commercial television, right enough. :angry:

Unfortunately, we've got universal suffrage. Unless they're royal, criminal or (certified) mental, they can vote. A right they normally reserve for helping to fund LCD commercial television, right enough. :angry:

Sorry, I meant the candidates. They could go through a common sense test before they stand. I have a feeling many of the current crop would be disqualified.

What, then, is a working definition of 'life experience', and what qualifies a candidate in this respect?

Be extremely specific, given the disastrous efforts of oaksoft so far.

In my opinion life experience is an entirely legitimate term. Obviously there are plenty of numpties who have bags of the stuff and plenty of young folk with next t no none who would be fantastic MPs and leaders in society. But for me those are the exceptions.
There’s obviously no scientific definition (for all the pedants) but for me it comes down mainly to work experience – with a few additions.
- Have you stuck at a job for at least 5 or 6 years (at the point where you’re pretty much as good as you ever will be and are looking for the next challenge)?
- The nature of how you got the job also counts. There is rightly a lot of concern about the number of MPs that leave university and move straight into the world of politics via some family or friend connections. These ‘advisors’ are simply jumping on the political bandwagon and all they do is increase the disconnect between the ruling classes and the people.
- The role of MP is also a leadership role (despite a good argument above which pointed out that MPs nowadays are usually just seen as lobby fodder) as they represent their constituents. For me that counts as leadership – you’ve been put forward by your peers. Wisdom and experience invariably improve your ability to lead.
Anyway – after putting down my thoughts on the issue I had a wee google search to see if there was anything I’d missed. Below is the most interesting list of points that relate to life experience. Some thought-provoking stuff:
The selflessness that one learns by raising a child
The solemn, harsh reality of war
The pain and organic tragedy of losing a friend
The challenge in all life phases (emotional, physical, spiritual) that poor health and chronic illness bring
The comfort and joy of having complete trust in another person
The depth of love of a long-married couple
The first time you experience culture shock
The pride in creating something
The emotional anguish of a broken heart
The magic of memories
The annoyance of dealing with retail customers
The love of human compassion towards each other
The hopelessness of feeling alone and isolated

Sorry, I meant the candidates. They could go through a common sense test before they stand. I have a feeling many of the current crop would be disqualified.

Maybe we should apply that to the electorate before they vote too. :lol:

However, in all seriousness, whatever the shortcomings are of the electoral system in a representative democracy it is still better than any other alternatives.

However, in all seriousness, whatever the shortcomings are of the electoral system in a representative democracy it is still better than any other alternatives.

Aye aye Winston.

In my opinion life experience is an entirely legitimate term. Obviously there are plenty of numpties who have bags of the stuff and plenty of young folk with next t no none who would be fantastic MPs and leaders in society. But for me those are the exceptions.
There’s obviously no scientific definition (for all the pedants) but for me it comes down mainly to work experience – with a few additions.
- Have you stuck at a job for at least 5 or 6 years (at the point where you’re pretty much as good as you ever will be and are looking for the next challenge)?
- The nature of how you got the job also counts. There is rightly a lot of concern about the number of MPs that leave university and move straight into the world of politics via some family or friend connections. These ‘advisors’ are simply jumping on the political bandwagon and all they do is increase the disconnect between the ruling classes and the people.
- The role of MP is also a leadership role (despite a good argument above which pointed out that MPs nowadays are usually just seen as lobby fodder) as they represent their constituents. For me that counts as leadership – you’ve been put forward by your peers. Wisdom and experience invariably improve your ability to lead.
Anyway – after putting down my thoughts on the issue I had a wee google search to see if there was anything I’d missed. Below is the most interesting list of points that relate to life experience. Some thought-provoking stuff:
 The selflessness that one learns by raising a child
 The solemn, harsh reality of war
 The pain and organic tragedy of losing a friend
 The challenge in all life phases (emotional, physical, spiritual) that poor health and chronic illness bring
 The comfort and joy of having complete trust in another person
 The depth of love of a long-married couple
 The first time you experience culture shock
 The pride in creating something
 The emotional anguish of a broken heart
 The magic of memories
 The annoyance of dealing with retail customers
 The love of human compassion towards each other
 The hopelessness of feeling alone and isolated

Life experience is a difficult term to pin down - in the accepted sense, it appears that the more life "happens to you", the stronger claim you have to this elusive qualification. Unfortunately, those who have most influence over their lives tend to be the ones making decisions for those who are disenfranchised (societally, not electorally) - based, at best, on a second-hand idea of what's "right for the people".

The lack of life experience is much easier to define - just look at Milliband's response when asked by a "yoof" audience what he'd actually done outside of politics. It's been handily compiled into a cringeworthy display in Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe*, so you can have a swatch on iPlayer.

*Yeah, I know, but I can't be arsed finding it elsewhere.

Maybe, but we shouldn't rest on our laurels. We should strive for better. There's always room for improvement.

Maybe some sort of soundbite test is also in order? 2 clichés in an interview and they're out

Archived