General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Probably a whooosh moment but I'm not getting the Inverclyde references tbh; does the constituency fit their entire national vote into a single lost deposit or something?

The truly glorious observation, on that topic, is that the Lib Dems were once a genuinely and historically strong 2nd placed challenger to Labour in the area - with Ross Finnie standing in the Holyrood constituency for them - until the SNP took a machete to both of their parties' votes in every election since 2003. The Liberal Democrats will never regain that semi-relevance in the area now, and once Labour are actually kicked out of local representation and a cold winter sets in, they'll also present an Ayr United level of opposition to an effortless SNP domination in the constituency.

pleasing.jpg

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the old Eastwood just change to ER or was there boundary changes?

Eastwood is the Holyrood constituency that mostly overlaps with East Renfrewshire. The (then) Westminster constituencies were used to determine Holyrood's constituencies before boundary changes cut the number of Westminster constituencies in Scotland for the 2005 General. East Renfrewshire was also the name of the area's constituency before the 1983 election.

I think should be an independent P&B candidate for the people of East Renfrewshire. If only for the use of 'be very specify' 'scrambling for relevance' 'seething' to be trotted out at hustings. I'll pledge 5% of the deposit and half a dozen egg for taking aim at Murphy.

Could someone mock up a 'Last of the Liberal Democrats' movie poster with Ad Libs face superimposed on Daniel Day Lewis's body? We can have a whip round, print them off and send them round Inverclyde with a few choice Ad Lib quotes from P&B.

He would probably advise you not to do that. If that didn't work he'd probably then strongly advise you not to.

Eastwood is the Holyrood constituency that mostly overlaps with East Renfrewshire. The (then) Westminster constituencies were used to determine Holyrood's constituencies before boundary changes cut the number of Westminster constituencies in Scotland for the 2005 General. East Renfrewshire was also the name of the area's constituency before the 1983 election.

My constituency!

Do you live in the seat?

Did Ad Lib not suggest during the referendum campaign that he had no interest / intention in standing for elected office?

I don't see what's changed. He's no chance of being elected.

You want to know why he's deluded for thinking that at the age of 22 (?) he has sufficient life experience to effectively represent tens of thousands of constituents, some of whom may be in dire need of his help?

It would be like putting a toddler in charge of a tractor and expecting fresh straight plough lines.

It's a very brave move if you ask me considering some of the utter shite written on here down the years that could be dredged up.

Is that a serious question?

Anyone under 40 who hasn't had at least a decade working outside politics is a bare minimum requirement for credibility.

22 years old we're talking here. Someone else is standing at the age of 19.

That is just absolutely fucking ludicrous.

At that age you've barely started shaving.

You didn't actually specify in the above rant what "life experience" actually is. Which was my question. Care to outline it for us all?

There's a very good reason why virtually every single company in the country makes young people start at the bottom of the pile and why people between 35-55 basically run everything important.

Apart from, err, graduate management posts, a substantial part of the jobs market, in which young people walk straight from education into a middle ranking position. While the admin assistant at the same company for twenty years sits beneath them in the pile.

Does the 40 year old admin assistant run the company, based on their presumably substantial (though as yet undefined) "life experience"? If not: why not?

If you want to waste someone's time with pish like this go and pester H_B.

That'll be a very clear "I can't actually describe 'life experience'" answer then. Thanks for that. Could it be, perhaps, that the use of the term 'life experience' is in fact related to the individual's less than graceful exit from formal education, and attempts to cover up for this insecurity with weasel word terms that can't be backed up? Oh I think it is.

Is it related to the always fuming, beetroot-faced use of the term "University of Life"? It surely can be!

As for the graduate management posts? No graduate walks into a middle level ranking management position.

They start at the ground floor - whether that be management, law, or cleaning toilets.

At the very least they will not immediately be making the important decisions regarding the company.

Erm no champ. You stated that they always start "at the bottom of the pile". In every single organisation, a graduate management post - if it exists - is not bottom of the pile. There are whole careers down there in the depths of the organisation, beneath the level of responsibility assigned to a graduate straight from university. So you were talking bollocks again.

And given that a middle management position isn't a leadership role, whether the employee is 25 or 55, that last claim is redundant.

When fresh graduates start running banks and large corporations maybe you'll have a point and you can come back to me.

Swing and a miss. We weren't discussing leadership roles. By the same measure, once the brickies and admin assistants earn a promotion straight to chief executive as a reward for living to 55, then you might have a point.

You don't, though.

I could have sworn I said 40 years old as a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT.

So the 45 year old admin assistant runs the company then? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

That's the problem with all young folk (including myself when I was younger) - they don't fucking listen.

Too much mouth and not enough brain.

It takes experience to learn that lesson and not every adult manages to learn it.

I'm sensing that chip on your shoulder beginning to tremble. Nobody is impressed by your philosophising now, given that you couldn't even explain what your term 'life experience' actually means.

Archived