General Election 2015

Ludo*1

You don't seem so sure.

I would say you don't.

"Who is that party to tell me what to do" or "Who is the government to tell me what to do".

In other words, punters who think they are just so above politics because they want to be cynical about absolutely everything while kidding on it's about reducing the role of the state.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll reduce government spending

They said that in 2010. The national debt went up.

Here's a handy hint-

Libertarians support maximising individual rights and minimising the role of government.

Explain how the Snoopers Charter fits with a libertarian ideology; and when you're done with that, have a crack at how trying to lower immigration is libertarian as well.

eta: we're just scraping the surface here as well :lol:

Just caught the end of Nick Clegg's speech and noticed how he was talking out of his árse when it comes to lower pay for women in the work place. Perhaps he should realize the reason women earn less in the work place is not because they're somehow being discriminated against, but because they take more time outwith work. Do less hours and choose career paths which pay less.

Yeah of course.

They'll reduce government spending and have a referendum on Europe.

With all these unfunded liabilities. not a chance. As for the referendum, I wouldn't hold my breath. I assume when you say "libertarian" you mean "conservative-libertarian"?

Pick on the non-conformist nutter I see.

You do understand if the UK decided to leave the EU it would be an utter disaster for us?

Isn't that what Better Together said about independence? What's the difference?

I wanted Scotland to get independence and I would like to see the UK leaving the EU. It's yet another level of costly government that does nothing for the ordinary person.

I'm fully against anything like the Snoopers charter that infringes on people's rights. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.

It's been binned anyway I think.

Personally I am against an open borders immigration policy. It wouldn't work simply because countries with shite economies exist.

Pick on the non-conformist nutter I see.

lmOyBAx.gif

I'm fully against anything like the Snoopers charter that infringes on people's rights. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.

It's been binned anyway I think.

For a self-proclaimed libertarian, that's a pretty cavalier attitude towards the Snoopers Charter. They'll probably try and introduce it again if elected; and Labour will probably end up trying as well.

Personally I am against an open borders immigration policy. It wouldn't work simply because countries with shite economies exist.

Why is the market not to be trusted on immigration? You trust the government more?

As i recall it means "moron".

If anything, Britain needs more libertarians; proper ones, not Torys or Ukippers masquerading as them. It's a wider plurality at the very least.

Libertarians support maximising individual rights and minimising the role of government.

Uh huh: except for the inconvenient truth that those two aims are in fact mutually exclusive on a vast array of issues known to the general observer as 'politics'.

Unfortunately for posturing libertarians - in which you are only performing a dreadful, rehashed version of AdLib's earlier efforts - their definition of what counts as an "individual right" has been skewed entirely to the right wing of politics, by the very same wood-chopping isolationists like Reynard, or the Ron Paul roasters and gun-toters in the US. And as a result their movement remains a busted flush.

Was looking at some opinion polling pre 2010 GE, regarding last 3 months. Firstly its difficult to get Scottish only figures but what I did get is interesting. Labour did not move much from their 36% (40 seat figure) but the real dynamic was in the shift from SNP to Lib dems in last 6 wks of campaign. SNP as high as 27% and finishing on 19% with Lib Dems benefiting almost exclusively.

Now if we fast forward 5 yrs its difficult to see Labour maintaining 36% as a result of referendum, red tory tag etc.. so even if they have a superb campaign 30% is their ceiling imo. SNP will no doubt get that swing back + more from Lib Dems and pick up c20% of Labour votes (perhaps more). Im assuming a constant tory vote and little green ukip impact here.

Based on above I really cant see how SNP will not have the highest percentage of vote at this election with at least 25 seats. Throw in the fact that milliband will be a disaster in debates.

Was looking at some opinion polling pre 2010 GE, regarding last 3 months. Firstly its difficult to get Scottish only figures but what I did get is interesting. Labour did not move much from their 36% (40 seat figure) but the real dynamic was in the shift from SNP to Lib dems in last 6 wks of campaign. SNP as high as 27% and finishing on 19% with Lib Dems benefiting almost exclusively.

Now if we fast forward 5 yrs its difficult to see Labour maintaining 36% as a result of referendum, red tory tag etc.. so even if they have a superb campaign 30% is their ceiling imo. SNP will no doubt get that swing back + more from Lib Dems and pick up c20% of Labour votes (perhaps more). Im assuming a constant tory vote and little green ukip impact here.

Based on above I really cant see how SNP will not have the highest percentage of vote at this election with at least 25 seats. Throw in the fact that milliband will be a disaster in debates.

The SNP will be the largest party and will win the election in Scotland. It's simply a case of how bad things will be for Labour.

If the Liberal Democrats could scrape Michael Moore and Charles Kennedy's seats on the mainland that would be a massive achievement for them.Their support has melted like snow off a dyke.

The Conservative vote will remain relatively buoyant.

Here's a handy hint-

They used to support abolition of child-sex laws - Westmonster's 'hidden' paedo scandal has links to this. How's that one coming along? Or are we content for the state to have a role in protecting our kids?

Deutsche Bank a bit bi-polar? No wonder our economies are fckd - these jokers just make it up as they go along and yet our media fauns over 'respected economists' like they're important scientists...

10991694_462640473885384_351014989328555

Thought the same. Care to explain your use of it in that context?

I already have.

Most libertarians simply "think they sound brilliantly cynical" and pretend that they don't have any party political leanings. Absolute whoppers to a man and nobody is impressed.

Granted, not everyone's in this boat but folk who think they sound brilliantly cynical by pretending they have no political preferences are impressing absolutely nae c**t.

I was focusing on the 'monkey with a red rosette' stereotype that's so often used in labour heartlands. It's not something I've ever heard said about the snp, as their problem seems more to do with the number of candidates who can legitimately challenge (like the lad in 2011 who had to rush home for a suit when he realised he was being elected).

This is what I hate. Pretending Nats are elites. Labour's fucked Scotland.

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news/poll-points-to-snp-general-election-success-but-lower-scottish-turnout-than

This is closer to what I expect the final vote shares to be like.

Weber shandwick plots it as 35 SNP seats, 20 for Labour, 2 each for the Libs and Tories

The strange thing is, surely there's a tipping point of no return for Labour? Where would half of these held seats be if they've just lost the other half? The only scenario I can see where that would transpire would be if the areas that voted yes or very close go with the SNP and the more staunch no areas go with Labour. That seems a bit simplistic and unlikely, though.

I think we'll see a turnout above the UK average here - probably about the 70% mark.

Archived