General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand how they'd work in terms of voting for policies. However, they'd have no say whatsoever in formulating policy.

If you're an SNP voter, surely you'd prefer the party to be given some semblance of power rather than to remain political outsiders (in Westminster at least).

On top of that, if the SNP has the surge in votes many are predicting, most of the new SNP voters will be traditional Labour voters. If the SNP refuses to form a coalition, or at least an informal "pact", and allows Cameron back into Downing Street... surely they'd risk losing all their new protest voters just as the Lib Dems have been wiped out since backing the Tories?

But the SNP would have no control in Westminster, unless they joined a coalition. If it was done on a "one vote at a time basis" then the SNP would vote against EVEL.

Has any Tory Government ever given more powers to Scotland?

I would want them to vote FOR EVEL in return for full proper home rule. Perfect solution imo

Most people in Scotland thrived under Blair, I know I did personally. We never had the huge unemployment we had under Thatcher. It was Blair who introduced the minimum wage and tax credits for less well off families. These ideas were opposed by the Tories. To suggest the two parties are the same is simply not true.

Unemployment eventually went down under the Tories too.

No, the two parties are not exactly the same but there's a bawhair of difference between them. They both tinker with things in slightly different ways but ultimately serve the same god - big business. Blair was more of a pal to George Dubya than Hague would've been.

The SNP have stated that they wont form a formal coalition with either red tory or blue tory. They will vote on matters individually with the best interests of Scotland at all times

Why is this so hard for people to understand ffs??

They have ruled out a coalition with the Tories , I am not sure if they have ruled out coalition with Labour. I think they have to go on a policy by policy basis.

They cannot get caught up in any code of collective responsibility , I do not want to Eck sweeping into number 10 in the back of a limo.

George Foulkes :lol: - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/05/ban-opinion-polls-during-election-campaign-says-labour-peer_n_6622300.html

And Labour accuse the SNP of being paranoid. Somebody should really get this man some help. :unsure:

Total embarrassment of a man. A typical Labour pier , wallowing in the trappings of state for a job well done.

He sits in an unelected chamber and want s to ban things. Well well.

A fairly incredible contradiction..

You criticise... Perfectly reasonably the me, me, me philosophy.. Then preen about the SNP winning seats.!

The party of middle class handouts... Corporation Tax cuts... Forcing massive austerity on councils... Accepting wedges from corporate bigots to screw the public ...

Fantastic!!

Your hatred for the snp is clear, and it has clearly become an obsession.

But I don't actually disagree with your point (even in the cuntish way that you make it).

The snp are not left wing enough for my liking. But there are reasons for that. They are trying to run Scotland through a devolved parliament. Most people think they're doing a decent job, but their hands are clearly tied in terms of what they can and can't do. They obviously want independence but at the same time can't push too hard for that given the referendum defeat. They're in a bit of limbo.

It's the levels of fear and hatred that they (and particularly salmond) generate in England, especially amongst right wingers that I enjoy. I want them to represent Scotland in Westminster in order to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

The democratic system in Britain is horribly broken in my view. We're getting more and more like the Americans and that utterly depresses me. The snp represent something different - and as a result I will vote for them (unless the seat is a shoe in and then I'll vote green).

The snp are not left wing enough for my liking. But there are reasons for that.

I know there are - they are trying to win votes across all sectors.

One of the main reasons the SNP have been so spectacularly successful is that they don't scare middle class middle to high income voters. That's because they give us regular handouts.

They are a right of centre party. There's nothing wrong with this - but let's call them what they are and move on.

Seriously??? :lol:

The SNP aren't centre right???????

Also, the last part is excuse making bullshit. They have a budget. They've chosen to use it to give middle class higher earners regular handouts. Their flagship post-indy policy was ... a Corporation Tax cut! Something that is a gift to the wealthy.. yet again from the SNP.

Also, when Salmond was questioned in March of 2014, and asked if the SNP would commit to (as Labour have done) reintroduce the 50p in the pound tax rate.. he refused to do so.

John Swinney has done likewise.

The SNP aren't interested in this. Perhaps Bigot Souter has vetoed that too.

Why not?

Would Scotland need a referendum to decide on Home Rule?

I don't think so. I think it's obvious enough that it's what the public want that the SNP could demand it without a referendum.

My ideal scenario would be all 4 parts of the UK getting "home rule" and just keep Westminster as a glorified foreign office.

Archived