Any lunatics still thinking Messi is the best?

Mr Romanov

If Barca couldve punted Suarez and lost Messi, and used that money to sign Lautaro Martinez, they'd have been better off long term than keeping Messi this season.

Forcing Messi to stay wasn't a "victory", it was just yet another example of the short term, irrational, planning thats fucked the club over, and exactly why Messi wants to leave.

They've got a cabal of exciting young wingers with pace and 1v1 ability, if they could add a 9 like Martinez they'd ragdoll defences. Messi is going to take one of those spots, and the rest of the team are still going to hide behind him.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Folk calling someone "mercenary" for not having €700 million to buy their way out of a contract...

After spending the last decade at one club.

Fair to say ‘mercenary’ is mindless football cliche for people who don’t understand mindless football cliche.  

17 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

That's not how I read it at all. He held his side of the bargain and asked to leave at the end of the season. Saying he wanted out before June 10th would have ruined their season (although it turned out that way anyway). I actually fell quite sorry for him reading that - he's made a hell of a lot of money from that club but he's given them fucking loads too. He will now be chastised for every misplaced pass (so four times next season) or every poor game (two, tops). 

Just let the man go. 

It would help them rebuild too. Know what I would have done, said to Man Shitty give us Eric Garcia, Angelino, Bernardo Silva and Gabriel Jesus.  Could pay all their wages from Messi's salary and still have a little left over too.  They'd be much better off.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
18 hours ago, GordonS said:
Folk calling someone "mercenary" for not having €700 million to buy their way out of a contract...

Hes haggling for a new contract. Not leaving.

I see literally no reason to believe that, but if you are right, he'll sign a new contract before the end of the season and while the club remains under the present management. I'd be willing to bet that doesn't happen.

7 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Messi is a rat. Never understood how folk could prefer him over Ronaldo, both as a player and a person.

‘Aye but look at all the mazy runs he goes on and then he scores!!!!’

20 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

It would help them rebuild too. Know what I would have done, said to Man Shitty give us Eric Garcia, Angelino, Bernardo Silva and Gabriel Jesus.  Could pay all their wages from Messi's salary and still have a little left over too.  They'd be much better off.

That is remarkably sensible Pepp, would be of far greater benefit than hanging onto a clearly demotivated aging player for one more season.

• 4 months later...

Surprised nobody mentioned Ronaldo became the highest scorer in the history of the game last night.

For me all the talk of Pele and Bican having more is obviously baws Ronaldo has done it, and done it all at the highest level.  Congratulations is deserved for a stunning achievement.

He is a very naturally fit guy and incredibly driven, who knows how long he can go on, still rattling them in at 35 with no real signs of slowing down too much.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye but Messi!  He scores 200 goals a season against Getafe and Ibiza United!!!

Sigh.  This is why I hesitated to bring it up cause fandands gonna fandan.

The number that really matters is WPOTY awards 

Messi 6 

Ronaldo 5

La Liga has been the world's number one ranked league for Messi's entire career.