Roy Keane

scottsdad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read Keane's first autobiography from before he played with Celtic. He was complimentary about Celtic in the book but I couldn't get over how much of an arsehole he seemed. Every single confrontation and run-in was someone else's fault completely - he was always completely right and they were always completely wrong. And needless to say, Roy had the last laugh.

Since then I think the only autobiographical books I've read were by Primo Levi and George Orwell as I swore off sleb autobiographies. f**k these self-centred celeb c***s and their book deals. Saw Kelly Brook's autobiography in WH Smith the other day - who in f**k wants to read that?

I read Keane's first autobiography from before he played with Celtic. He was complimentary about Celtic in the book but I couldn't get over how much of an arsehole he seemed. Every single confrontation and run-in was someone else's fault completely - he was always completely right and they were always completely wrong. And needless to say, Roy had the last laugh.

Since then I think the only autobiographical books I've read were by Primo Levi and George Orwell as I swore off sleb autobiographies. f**k these self-centred celeb c***s and their book deals. Saw Kelly Brook's autobiography in WH Smith the other day - who in f**k wants to read that?

Orwell, god bless him, never wrote an autobiog.

Orwell, god bless him, never wrote an autobiog.

Homage to Catalonia was autobiographical. It just covered a certain period of his life in the same way that the 'I've just got my first cap for England and a diamond earring, here's my book' ones do.

Homage to Catalonia was autobiographical. It just covered a certain period of his life in the same way that the 'I've just got my first cap for England and a diamond earring, here's my book' ones do.

It was a novel, not an autobiography.

It was a novel, not an autobiography.

It is not a novel and it is autobiographical. I can only surmise you haven't read it, read it and failed to understand anything you read, or don't understand what 'novel' or 'autobiographical' mean. Whichever of these is correct, why you have chosen to try and correct me is beyond me.

It is not a novel and it is autobiographical. I can only surmise you haven't read it, read it and failed to understand anything you read, or don't understand what 'novel' or 'autobiographical' mean. Whichever of these is correct, why you have chosen to try and correct me is beyond me.

I certainly don't understand what the f**k you are on about here

Oh dear?

I certainly don't understand what the f**k you are on about here

What I'm saying is that it is clear from his statement he doesn't know what he's talking about in some respect. That being the case, he shouldn't be telling me I'm wrong when I know what I'm talking about.

Tom McB made the same mistake, but his mistake was less monumental and more understandable. Still, being told I'm wrong by someone when I'm right is a pet hate of mine, together with celebrity autobiographies and Roy Keane.

I haven't read Homage to Catalonia but I have read Road to Wigan pier and Down and Out in Paris and London. If HTC is anything like them I wouldn't describe it as autobiographical as the author himself is not the subject even if he is the main conduit through which the story is told.

I haven't read Homage to Catalonia but I have read Road to Wigan pier and Down and Out in Paris and London. If HTC is anything like them I wouldn't describe it as autobiographical as the author himself is not the subject even if he is the main conduit through which the story is told.

Semi autobiographical novel, as opposed to brain-dead footballers life story?

Not a dig at Keane, just the paucity of decent football stories.

Correct, HTC is wonderful. I first read it in '71 and still do re-read it. Great book but it's about freedom, fascism, liberty and working men.

Naw, sorry pal, it should be read with Thomas'"The Spanish Civil war" all of Paul Preston's wonderful works, as a journal of the Spanish Civil War.

It's as autobographical as "The Sun also rises".

One can take bits of his life from his collected "Essays, Journailism and Letters" but he did not write an autobigraphy.

What I'm saying is that it is clear from his statement he doesn't know what he's talking about in some respect. That being the case, he shouldn't be telling me I'm wrong when I know what I'm talking about.

Tom McB made the same mistake, but his mistake was less monumental and more understandable. Still, being told I'm wrong by someone when I'm right is a pet hate of mine, together with celebrity autobiographies and Roy Keane.

No mistake hombre, an Autobiography covers the life, Orwell wrote no such work and asked that no biography of him should be written.

I love being pedantic so what does the dictionary say about autobiography?

noun, plural autobiographies.
a history of a person's life written or told by that person.

No such book exists by Mr Blair, God rest his great soul.

Archived