Roy Keane

scottsdad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm distraught to find that Homage to Catalonia was all a big lie. I'll never trust a book again, apart from the bible of course.

Who has said it was "all a big lie"?

It's told from one person's experience. A person who, as he admitted himself, was relying on hearsay and supposition for much of it, given that he was in the middle of the event.

It's certainly not an autobiograhy. Blair never wrote an autobiography. No surprise to see the OP wrong, yet again.

Who has said it was "all a big lie"?

It's told from one person's experience. A person who, as he admitted himself, was relying on hearsay and supposition for much of it, given that he was in the middle of the event.

It's certainly not an autobiograhy. Blair never wrote an autobiography. No surprise to see the OP wrong, yet again.

Perhaps, like me, "you haven't read it, read it and failed to understand anything you read, or don't understand what 'novel' or 'autobiographical' mean" either? ;)

Any other good excerpts?

“And I find chopsticks frankly distressing. Am I alone in thinking it odd that a people ingenious enough to invent paper, gunpowder, kites and any number of other useful objects, and who have a noble history extending back 3,000 years haven't yet worked out that a pair of knitting needles is no way to capture food?”

― Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island

Great excerpt...and nothing to do with Roy Orwell.

I love the fact that Gordon Strachan utterly owned him.

Quotes here:

Real Madrid offered me a year and a half. Emilio Butragueno made the call and said ‘Roy, we’ll be glad to have you’.

“I met David Moyes at his house and was impressed with what he wanted for Everton.

“When a club is interested the manager generally sells it to you.

“I met Gordon Strachan in London at Dermot Desmond’s house. Gordon told me ‘I’m not really worried if you sign for us or not. We’re okay without you.’ So I said to myself ‘F*** him, I’m signing’

“When I phoned Gordon at the end of the season to tell him I was going to have to call it a day because of my hip Gordon went ‘All right, it’s for the best’. And I was saying to myself ‘Try and persuade me, for f***’s sake. At least pretend’.”

That Savage quote has me in tears everytime I read it. Imagining Keane's face when he hears him shout "Whazzzzuuuuupppp" down the phone :lol:

Archived