Tartan Army - Good Guys or Wanks?

Tartan Army  

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a grade A Tartan Army walloper? How do you work this out you don't even know me? And Scotland consistently get some of the highest attendances in Europe. Like I said we usually have ONE PERCENT of the whole fucking population inside the ground. That's not to bad considering the vast majority of people who like football in the country don't even support us... :lol:

And were never going to agree but I don't think you could be any further off. Every Scottish person I know that likes football will be wanting Scotland to win tomorrow.

Maybe you just need to stop being so cynical? :)

I couldn't care less.

There are however hundreds of thousands of football fans in Scotland, leaving you ultimately as a tiny, cringeworthy minority not representative of civilised Scotland. Which I believe was the discussion point of the topic, not 'who wants Scotland to win tomorrow?'. Other than a preference for my bet to come up, I couldn't give a toss about the result.

Gutted for you.

Likewise there are 100s of thousands who do. :)

Is this representative of other countries? Do the vast majority of football fans in other countries not support their national team? Or is it a Scotland only thing?????

As for 'tiny, cringeworthy, minority'... Just wow. I'd love to see what Morton fans are like.... :lol:

Think I'll just give up on the national team now that you've said that and convinced me....

No offence but I think you're speaking absolute pish and I think it's actually quite embarassing to read. Just my opinion though. I've heard more than enough of yours.

Viking. Just 2 wee questions.

How many football fans do you think there are in Scotland?

How many do you think support the national side (not home and aways or diehards just people who take an interest and will want us to do well)?

He's winding you up.

No-one with any modicum of intelligence can have such an unbalanced and moronic point of view regarding kilts and Scotland fans.

H_B on the other hand - he's just a knob that loves being on the 'unpopular' side of any argument.

Its an imaginary line - and can be anywhere you want it to be.

It allows folk to be pedantic.

I think its awful tbh, Its like speaking to Rangers fans who label the tartan army as being idiots because they show a lack of respect to the places they travel to.LOL

On the whole decent guys who give the team great backing abroad. Not really a fan of the hats, but when you look at supporters at most major national games a lot of them play up the stereotypical national dress - the Scandinavians have viking helmets, the Dutch do clogs etc. The English just rock up in an EDL hoodie.

Not been to many Scotland games, but was at an away game as I happened to be living in that city at the time and decided to go to the game and had a good time.

Most of them were decent enough guys. Not keen on the showmanship. wha's like us, or the kilt lifting etc, but most of them drank large amounts of alochol and behaved themselves impecibaly afterwards. Met some really geniune friendly people who I've kept in touch with and even went to a few Copenhagen games with.

Met a few of the elitists though who were absolute wankers - badges, Glengarry hats, you ken the type - "Whar's your kilt?", "How you noo brought yer kilt tae Schweden?", "true Scotsman, whar's tha kilt?" etc.

They do have a great reputation though. Had lots of Norwegians tell me time and time again when they found out I was a north Brit "I remember when Scotland came here...." that they were great fans, drank the city dry and was often told the same story of the only Scot that got the jail for the night was a pissed up Jock who couldn't find his hotel that night and the Polis didn't understand him. So they threw him in the cells to sober him up.

Good guys, I say.

I voted wanks but as others have said, it depends how you define tartan army. I don't mind people being passionate about the Scotland team even if I'm not particularly into it myself. I used to go a lot when I was younger and really enjoyed it, and the majority of people around me didn't say or do anything that would make me think they were arseholes.

The proper "tartan army footsoldier" types seem like utter fucking bellends though, I'd actually rate them above staunch OF supporters in the dickhead stakes. I'm not a violent person, but if I was watching a Scotland game and someone actually had a go at me for not wearing a tartan dress I think I'd be tempted to headbutt that c**t clean in the face. What annoys me is how they have this generic idea of what being Scottish is about. Despite recent let downs, the things I like about Scotland are the people I've met over the years and the places I'm fond of. We're generally good humoured, warm people, we don't need to act like cartoon Jocks to have that pride. It's crass as f**k.

However, this isn't unique to Scotland fans. The England fans who dress up as Knights and the head to toe orange Dutch fans are just two examples of the embarrassing over compensating nature of international football wankers. What sets "the tartan army" apart is that they're fucking shite supporters. I mind when Ian Black got booed by Scotland fans and all the Hamish's put the blame firmly on Hibs fans, because it was at ER and most of the folk there were Hibby's. Here's an idea for next time, if you don't want club pettiness getting in the way, make sure your support isn't a pathetically small 10,000 people who nearly all support the same team. Where were the rest of them? Scotland only play about 8 times a year tops, how come nearly all the "full time" Scotland fans disappeared? Probably saving up for a public exposure/Prossie shagging jaunt to Riga or something.

Let me chime in on the earlier kilt debate by saying that kilts are just so fucking awful. I've never worn a kilt in my entire life and I'll never wear one in the future, the second most embarrassing thing to happen to Scotland after the referendum result is that monstrosity of a garment.

Mind you I said I'd never eat haggis and then tried it when I was 21, glorious stuff I'll give you that. This U-turn will not be happening with me and kilts though.

Let me chime in on the earlier kilt debate by saying that kilts are just so fucking awful. I've never worn a kilt in my entire life and I'll never wear one in the future, the second most embarrassing thing to happen to Scotland after the referendum result is that monstrosity of a garment.

Mind you I said I'd never eat haggis and then tried it when I was 21, glorious stuff I'll give you that. This U-turn will not be happening with me and kilts though.

^^^ has micropenis.

Lighten up, chap!

The kilt fascism is really bizzare.

Especially when being lectured from 60 year old men about why you (as a 23 year old) are not wearing one, when considering the only time they themselves wear one is probably on their 3 trips to Hampden a year. And since it's a modern attraction, he probably wasn't married in one either. I think the kilt to weddings thing is a recent last 20-30 year thing especially in the lowlands.

I have a kilt. I was given one as a 21st birthday present and am forever grateful for such an expensive gift, but now some 9 years on, I think I've had it on 4 times (3 weddings, and the 3rd was my attempt at kilt Sunday - making the Sabbath, a kilt day for me, it lasted a week).

Some tartans are beautiful though. The Hibs one, Erin is a cracker. My pal is a Hibee and has the Hibs kilt and scarf. Of course, I've only seen him in the Hibs kilt twice (at 2 weddings).

^^^ has micropenis.

Lighten up, chap!

I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

Some tartans are beautiful though. The Hibs one, Erin is a cracker. My pal is a Hibee and has the Hibs kilt and scarf. Of course, I've only seen him in the Hibs kilt twice (at 2 weddings).

It can't be as nice as the Celtic kilt.

CelticOutfitScarf.jpg

I once saw a crowd of people near the away end all wearing this, including a woman who got a lovely round of abuse for half an hour. Harrowing.

Wearing a kilts just a part of the day for me, i couldn't care less if anybody else wants to wear one or not though. Nobody should be telling any c**t what to wear and nobody I know would. EGB you talk about Scotland fans being shite supporters, the example you gave was a very good one but on the whole I think from what I've seen the support is excellent. Especially in the years pre and post McLeish and Smith when we've had terrible sides the supports still been there.