The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

That’s us just been papped back another 24 hours. Looks like we’ll be cancelling as it’s taking too much time out of it and no idea what the place will be like if we got there. 

That's shit mate. I'm beginning to think that there's no way we will be going in Thursday.  It would be good to know soon. We fly easyJet down to Gatwick then Norse from there, so we have that to contend with as well. If we get pushed back a day or so we would probably go down to London and stay with her brother until we get out. 

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

That's shit mate. I'm beginning to think that there's no way we will be going in Thursday.  It would be good to know soon. We fly easyJet down to Gatwick then Norse from there, so we have that to contend with as well. If we get pushed back a day or so we would probably go down to London and stay with her brother until we get out. 

Hope it works out for you mate. It’s the kids I’m absolutely gutted for as you can imagine. A year and a half it’s been booked. 

51 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

If the bookies will take money on the Darwin Awards, stick a wedge on this boy

Tiktoks the ideal platform for him

Think he's correct about the boat being 100 ft up,think he's wrong that there'll be water holding it up there

24 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

Tiktoks the ideal platform for him

Think he's correct about the boat being 100 ft up,think he's wrong that there'll be water holding it up there

Or which way up it'll be.

@KnightswoodBear, @Rugster

You might know by now but Orlando International’s shutting Wednesday so nothing will be going there that day 

Hurricane Milton is bringing business and tourism to a halt in large swaths of Florida as the state readies itself for a storm officials have warned will be “extremely dangerous” and potentially among the most destructive on record in the area.

Orlando international, one of America’s busiest airports, said it would cease operations Wednesday morning while Tampa international closed on Tuesday, Reuters reported. Universal Studios and Disney World said its theme parks would close Wednesday afternoon. Retailer Target said it would temporarily close or adjust hours at some locations.

Waffle House, which famously often stays open during extreme weather, announcedthat it would close multiple locations in south-west Florida.

from here - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2024/oct/08/kamala-harris-donald-trump-us-election-hurricane-milton-latest-live-news

ETA - Orlando Sentinel site might be worth bookmarking just now. Not sure how much of it is paywalled, the Miami Herald is usually a fair chunk, although Spaywall and 12ft.io worked the last time I was on the Herald’s site. 

Edited by carpetmonster

MCO (Orlando International) is closing to all commercial operations at 0800 on Wednesday, 9 October (1300 BST). Commercial operations will not resume until a damage assessment is complete, which would likely not occur before Friday morning because Milton will not have moved sufficiently clear to begin the assessment before nightfall Thursday. Given a roughly 0800 Friday possible reopening, at the earliest, that's 1300 BST, which is already later than most of the normal Florida bound departures. Airlines will likely not launch for MCO "hoping" to make it under UK261 due to their liabilities from cancelling after departure, liabilities that won't exist if the flight is cancelled due to force majeure (the hurricane). 

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's disappointing, they should at least give it try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Surely all these strong winds will save them a ton of money in fuel costs, get blown to their destination and then stick a big elastic cord on the runway like they do on aircraft carriers to stop the planes when they land.

Think About It GIF by Identity

1 minute ago, Hauzen said:

Surely all these strong winds will save them a ton of money in fuel costs, get blown to their destination and then stick a big elastic cord on the runway like they do on aircraft carriers to stop the planes when they land.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Exactly, even if they fly into the wind. A plane goes about 600mph. The wind is about 200mph. That's still 400mph in the right direction. 

We've done Orlando as a family heaps of times, had the usual tropical rainfall in the afternoon with the odd bad storm here and there. My Mum and Dad are in Orlando just now, they're quite chilled about it all saying most folk just going about their daily business. There has been a significant amount of folk bussed in to their hotel that aren't tourists though and they've had advice leaflets put under their door on what to do and what not to do. My auld man has about 17 tinnies in the fridge so he's sorted. A Scottish family in the room next to my parents have had their flight home cancelled and been put up in a Universal Hotel, they're over the moon 😆. My wifes a panicking mess though reading up about the storm, she's adament my parents need to evacuate. I asked where to, she said "I dunno, somewhere North" 😅

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

We've done Orlando as a family heaps of times, had the usual tropical rainfall in the afternoon with the odd bad storm here and there. My Mum and Dad are in Orlando just now, they're quite chilled about it all saying most folk just going about their daily business. There has been a significant amount of folk bussed in to their hotel that aren't tourists though and they've had advice leaflets put under their door on what to do and what not to do. My auld man has about 17 tinnies in the fridge so he's sorted. A Scottish family in the room next to my parents have had their flight home cancelled and been put up in a Universal Hotel, they're over the moon 😆. My wifes a panicking mess though reading up about the storm, she's adament my parents need to evacuate. I asked where to, she said "I dunno, somewhere North" 😅

Aye, North into the area of Florida still crippled by Helene’s aftermath, or Georgia, where the governor just declared a state of emergency, North Carolina, where they’re still searching for dead bodies or Alabama, where, well, Alabama. Now, South, to Miami might have worked before a lot of other people did.

YouTube channel Max Velocity is good for a complete view of things going to shit. The kid running it is a meteorology student and the coverage is surprisingly good. Audio drops in and out as his stream exceeds 65,000+, so just refresh. Right now the tornados are starting and he’s busier than a one-armed paper hanger doing a live stream.

23 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Any word on your travel? Orlando Airport is shut until 6pm tomorrow as it stands, have they moved your flight? We have rebooked to Tenerife on Sunday now.