Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

The post was highlighting the fact that SNP MPs find themselves in the same situation regarding London accommodation. Nothing to do with the Scottish homes.

You could of course argue that his party are responsible for transport in Scotland and have almost entirely allocated transport resources to the central belt. Not a problem if you are able to maintain 2 homes on a public salary. Not so good for everyone else.

I saw the programme as it went out on Channel 4. It specifically mentioned where his two houses were. Your quote also mentions 2 homes in Scotland.

Your second point displays astonishing ignorance. He represents the Western Isles. Using any sort of public transport on a Sunday is deeply unpopular with large numbers of his constituents. Don't you remember the furore about Calmac Sunday sailings?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the programme as it went out on Channel 4. It specifically mentioned where his two houses were. Your quote also mentions 2 homes in Scotland.

Your second point displays astonishing ignorance. He represents the Western Isles. Using any sort of public transport on a Sunday is deeply unpopular with large numbers of his constituents. Don't you remember the furore about Calmac Sunday sailings?

?

Not in the Catholic southern isles and MacNeill is from Barra. You can do what you want there, any day of the week.

As to the Presbyterian northern isles, the Sunday flights and sailings are hugely popular. Sabbatarianism is still strong but dying. 25 years ago, folk used to watch Scotsport on a Sunday afternoon behind closed curtains in case the neighbours/ older reletives saw.

As to the 2 houses, it's very possible that one belonged to his wife on the mainland and that one is the family croft.

I think the ignorance shown here is actually from you. Do a little research and you may come to a different conclusion. Sunday travel is a red herring.

?

Not in the Catholic southern isles and MacNeill is from Barra. You can do what you want there, any day of the week.

As to the Presbyterian northern isles, the Sunday flights and sailings are hugely popular. Sabbatarianism is still strong but dying. 25 years ago, folk used to watch Scotsport on a Sunday afternoon behind closed curtains in case the neighbours/ older reletives saw.

As to the 2 houses, it's very possible that one belonged to his wife on the mainland and that one is the family croft.

The two Scottish houses is a non issue. The problem here is that someone attempted to show a Scottish Labour MP fleecing the system and present it as some kind of morally outrageous thing to do. I was only showing that although a summary of offenders by party was shown, the SNP were equally guilty.

The fact is that the system is broken but the MPs are acting in a way that makes it hard for the average person to listen to them preaching about food banks or poverty.

The MPs choose to claim this money and in Macneil's case he has went on the record to say how much his own place in London was costing. Now if he is earning more than the cost from this previously taxpayer funded property the he could be offsetting the income from the property against the cost of his London digs. This would be the morally correct position to take. Not rent it out, pocket the income and then claim for digs.

I've said a number of times (with varying degrees of seriousness) that they should just build halls of residence for the MPs - surely that would save a fortune in the long run?

It would undoubtedly save a fortune but I assume it'll never get off the ground because of security concerns. Every single non-London MP in the same residence? Joyce would end up killing someone.

"SNP plans to scrap the UK pension" :lol:

If that's where we're at six weeks out, I fully expect pamphlets in three weeks time saying Eck personally drove over those students in Tianamen Square.

Why are old people c***s?

Does this include the hundreds of thousands who voted YES in the Referendum, the hundreds of thousands who will vote SNP in the upcoming elections and the many who were in attendance at the recent SNP Conference?

Does this include the hundreds of thousands who voted YES in the Referendum, the hundreds of thousands who will vote SNP in the upcoming elections and the many who were in attendance at the recent SNP Conference?

Yes :P

Archived