Fife Derby - Rovers Vs Cowdenbeath

Good result. Really feared a draw here so glad we got the win - and even happier to see Nade back and scoring. If he keeps fit our winter this season might just be a little different.

Scott on the bench next week?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of decent goals. Good build up play for the second one especially.

If the complaints are starting to shift to the overall quality of the league then it's a good sign. It means our results and/or performances are such that the pessimists in our support are having to look around for something else to grumble about.

Queens next week will be a real test. Starting to feel optimistic we can take something from it

If your issue is that the whole division, by and large, is not as good as you think it should be in terms of absolute standard then your problem is not with Murray. It's just some problem you've got that I can't really help you with. Have you thought about supporting Chelsea?

I wouldnt think of asking you for 'help', even if I thought you could provide it. But it seems you need my help to understand plain English. My issue is not with the whole division - note the word 'mostly'. So, 'most' of the teams (and Ive seen most) are not of the standard I would expect from the second tier of a professional league (a 'championship' no less), outside of countries like Malta and the Faroe Islands, with populations comparable to Fife's, tho I suspect even their teams are better to watch.

I take note of the usual cheap debating trick - portray position you oppose as an extreme: I do not expect teams in the Championship to match the levels attained by the big money mercenary leagues, but I do expect them to be a few notches above Junior standard.

Murrays anti football is slowly demoralising our ever dwindling home support. Nothing against Cowdenbeath but playing 4 5 1 at home yet again doesn't work and playing Elliot up front on his own especially when he's not scored in the league is baffling. Look at our bench Conroys I think has scored 4 Nade has 4 and Stewart has a couple yet Murray thinks they aren't good enough for a start but what do I know I'm only a footie supporter. I think Murray has been feeling the pressure with a few hammerings and would rather just stifle teams hence the dreadful brand of football we are playing at the moment.The current team is lacking drive ,imagination, and Leadership which in my view should be lead from the front by our management team but sadly this isn't happening it always requires the usual halftime boos to get a reaction out of the team/management.

Murrays anti football is slowly demoralising our ever dwindling home support. Nothing against Cowdenbeath but playing 4 5 1 at home yet again doesn't work and playing Elliot up front on his own especially when he's not scored in the league is baffling. Look at our bench Conroys I think has scored 4 Nade has 4 and Stewart has a couple yet Murray thinks they aren't good enough for a start but what do I know I'm only a footie supporter. I think Murray has been feeling the pressure with a few hammerings and would rather just stifle teams hence the dreadful brand of football we are playing at the moment.The current team is lacking drive ,imagination, and Leadership which in my view should be lead from the front by our management team but sadly this isn't happening it always requires the usual halftime boos to get a reaction out of the team/management.

Agree with every word of this.

It always requires the usual halftime boos to get a reaction out of the team/management.

Why don't we boo them off as they're going in after the warm-up?

It is a bit of a concern that we're so sluggish in starting matches but that can't take away from the fact that yesterday was a good and much needed result.

Wee bit of confidence from it could go a long way in the next few weeks, especially with guys like Nade back and scoring.

It is a bit of a concern that we're so sluggish in starting matches but that can't take away from the fact that yesterday was a good and much needed result.

Wee bit of confidence from it could go a long way in the next few weeks, especially with guys like Nade back and scoring.

Agree with this. It feels like more often than not, we're playing teams at home, and in their first major attack, they're scoring a goal. We dug in well and got a result yesterday. Nade did well to change the game. We need to move forward next week. Starting with two up front against Queens.

Hopefully the 4-5-1 will be ditched for good. The fact that it only started to come together when we moved away from it speaks volumes.

That we persisted with it despite Nade and Stewart both being fit, at home to the team bottom of the league, is beggars belief and a striking example of why Murray enjoys little popular support. We hadn't won in our last six games, and that was only our second home league win of the season, yet he again goes with a proven failure of a system given the players he has to use? Awful.

Hopefully the 4-5-1 will be ditched for good. The fact that it only started to come together when we moved away from it speaks volumes.

That we persisted with it despite Nade and Stewart both being fit, at home to the team bottom of the league, is beggars belief and a striking example of why Murray enjoys little popular support. We hadn't won in our last six games, and that was only our second home league win of the season, yet he again goes with a proven failure of a system given the players he has to use? Awful.

This.

The boos were justified at full time, the formation and tactics were an utter utter joke. Setting up at home against Cowdenbeath in the same ways Hearts away :lol:

The Cowden back line bullied us in the 1st half, we needed Nade to bully them back, which he did.

Here's what I took from this game ... 4-5-1, down 1-0 @ HT, 4-4-2, score 2 goals and win 2-1 ... Whether or not Elliot & Nade where the 2 upfront or working as a 1-1 ordeal, it shows the difference trying to play a CM (Scott) in an attacking role that he clearly can't play .... Surely any "normal" manager would now start a 4-4-2 next week, but nope, it will be the same 4-5-1 crap again no doubt !

On another note Elliot is horrendous, like beyond bad ... He spends more time rolling about like a fairy than bothering his arse to do what hes paid for AKA play Football .... It pains me to see him starting with 90 minutes every week whilst you have Stewart & Vaughen getting 0 game time.

Positive notes for me, McKeown had by far his best game in a Raith shirt, if he could play like that weekly I'd be happy enough, Fox i also thought has a good game, misplaced a few passes but by his standard looked fine ... Moon also probably had one of his better games of the season in the second half after his goal, seemed very dynamic ... McKay also looks a good capture IMO ....

Few pleasing performances individually, as a team though this 4-5-1 thing has got to stop now ... Surely Murray can now finally see this LOL ....

this

Here's what I took from this game ... 4-5-1, down 1-0 @ HT, 4-4-2, score 2 goals and win 2-1 ... Whether or not Elliot & Nade where the 2 upfront or working as a 1-1 ordeal, it shows the difference trying to play a CM (Scott) in an attacking role that he clearly can't play .... Surely any "normal" manager would now start a 4-4-2 next week, but nope, it will be the same 4-5-1 crap again no doubt !

On another note Elliot is horrendous, like beyond bad ... He spends more time rolling about like a fairy than bothering his arse to do what hes paid for AKA play Football .... It pains me to see him starting with 90 minutes every week whilst you have Stewart & Vaughen getting 0 game time.

Positive notes for me, McKeown had by far his best game in a Raith shirt, if he could play like that weekly I'd be happy enough, Fox i also thought has a good game, misplaced a few passes but by his standard looked fine ... Moon also probably had one of his better games of the season in the second half after his goal, seemed very dynamic ... McKay also looks a good capture IMO ....

Few pleasing performances individually, as a team though this 4-5-1 thing has got to stop now ... Surely Murray can now finally see this LOL ....

agree on elliot,but not on Mckeown,the guy has limited positional sense and really not keen on exerting himself in trying to get forward,of course we were spolied by having booth last season whos sadly missed

Thing is, there wasn't actually a formation change by Murray, it was a 4-4-1-1 to start with and it was a 4-4-1-1 at the finish. The difference is that the Elliot/Scott combination didn't work and the Nade/Elliot one did. Elliot has never really played as the guy leading the line for us, never. Last year he always dropped deeper than Smith, for example. He didn't look comfortable playing with his back to goal and Scott didn't get anywhere close enough to him to help out. Scott is an attacking midfielder but lacks the little bit of positional sense to know when to slot in and when to push up. I think he'd be a standout in a 3-5-2 as an attacking central mid, but lacks the wee bit of nous to play 'in the hole' as a second striker. That gave Cowden a lot fo room to pass the ball out from the back and subsequently allowed them to pressure us more effectively.

Elliot on the other hand, does, he's an intelligent player and he looked a damn sight better dropping between the lines, finding space and bringing others into play with Nade in front of him (his usual theatrics not withstanding). Nade, it goes without saying, is a fine centre forward for our level and has the physical strength to lead a line and is comfortable with his back to goal, because the ball just sticks to him. So the personnel change brought a lot more balance to the team, even with the same formation. We really only have two forwards who can play with their back to goal comfortably and that's Nade and Vaughan. It's unfortunate that Stewart doesn't get more game time but I'd still start Nade and Elliot when both are fit.

agree on elliot,but not on Mckeown,the guy has limited positional sense and really not keen on exerting himself in trying to get forward,of course we were spolied by having booth last season whos sadly missed

Overall I haven't liked McKeown, hes been terrible pretty much every week IMO, I just ment he played a lot better on Saturday and if he could play to a similar level then I'd be satisfied seeing as we have 0 full back cover this season :P

It's unfortunate that Stewart doesn't get more game time but I'd still start Nade and Elliot when both are fit.

I'd be on the other boat with this, I'd much rather having a pacey player like Stewart to work of Nade's strength and ability to hold up the ball ... Perhaps it's me being biased as I think Stewart has been excellent this season and unfairly dropped, but Elliot to me is the "Baloteli" of Raith (for the record, biggest over-rated donkey in the world of Football) ...

Hes over-rated with a poor attitude IMO, to busy having pre-puberty hissy fits on the pitch rather than just putting his head down and working hard ... 1 look at his body language on Saturday and it was constant arms in the air, moaning at the ref, moaning at other players & falling about like a big fairy, sadly hes just not a player i like, but we will all have our different views on the players !

Overall I haven't liked McKeown, hes been terrible pretty much every week IMO, I just ment he played a lot better on Saturday and if he could play to a similar level then I'd be satisfied seeing as we have 0 full back cover this season :P

I'd be on the other boat with this, I'd much rather having a pacey player like Stewart to work of Nade's strength and ability to hold up the ball ... Perhaps it's me being biased as I think Stewart has been excellent this season and unfairly dropped, but Elliot to me is the "Baloteli" of Raith (for the record, biggest over-rated donkey in the world of Football) ...

Hes over-rated with a poor attitude IMO, to busy having pre-puberty hissy fits on the pitch rather than just putting his head down and working hard ... 1 look at his body language on Saturday and it was constant arms in the air, moaning at the ref, moaning at other players & falling about like a big fairy, sadly hes just not a player i like, but we will all have our different views on the players !

Don't know what's happened to Rory, not the player he was with Cowden last season, seems to be totally lacking in confidence. Wouldn't want him back on that performance. He was lucky Gallacher went off.

As for Elliot, the guy is a joke. How can Nade be on the bench whilst that guy is rolling about like a bairn?

Elliot has ability but I agree is a frustrating player to watch. If he put as much effort into playing as he did to moaning he would be superb.

For me McKeown has been a huge disappointment. He was better on Saturday but overall he has been poor. I know Northern Ireland don't have a lot of folk to pick from but based on his performances for us I find it hard to believe that he has been capped at U21 level for them. maybe he's lacking confidence or carrying an injury or something

I wouldnt think of asking you for 'help', even if I thought you could provide it. But it seems you need my help to understand plain English. My issue is not with the whole division - note the word 'mostly'. So, 'most' of the teams (and Ive seen most) are not of the standard I would expect from the second tier of a professional league (a 'championship' no less), outside of countries like Malta and the Faroe Islands, with populations comparable to Fife's, tho I suspect even their teams are better to watch.

I take note of the usual cheap debating trick - portray position you oppose as an extreme: I do not expect teams in the Championship to match the levels attained by the big money mercenary leagues, but I do expect them to be a few notches above Junior standard.

Hence the "by and large" in my own post. And if there aren't many better teams than us in the division, and two of them have massively bigger budgets, then by your own analysis we're better (or less bad) than most of the teams at our own level. If you're still not happy with that then it's still your problem.

Archived