Heart of Midlothian v Queen of the South, 06/12/2014

Really enjoyable game, with considerably more entertainment than that dross Queens draw vs Hibs a few weeks ago. Obviously I'd rather a point than an exciting pumping but not too disappointed with the result, considering Hearts' form and Hibs getting beat at Falkirk.

For Queens, Kerr was very wasteful in possession and I was glad to see the back of him come half-time. Queens' performance in the first half was pretty shocking. We'd retain possession well, but it only ever led up to a punt up the park to Alexander. Very lacklustre and it seemed as if our only real chance of scoring that half was to draw fouls around the box and try to score from the set-piece, which of course is never too likely given the lack of consistency in delivery from McShane (whom I admit played very well). Second half we played the ball quicker, and the team no longer looked one-paced. I'll leave it to the formation roasters to decide whether or not it was because of an extra striker on the pitch that we upped our intensity. Beanie was our MoM, great display from him today. Kidd was pretty poor, and Dzierzawski was considerably average. Reilly played decent but was isolated first half.

Hearts scored in the first half then seemed content to sit on their lead and let Queens pass the ball around (which was fair as we showed no goal threat). The first goal was a defensive howler but a fantastic finish by Keatings, and then they had a shot cleared off the line shortly after. Together with the penalty miss and Hearts could have had a stronger half-time lead, especially if they had more of a go at a Queens team that were struggling to up the tempo. Second half they seemed to struggle as Queens grew more into the game. Could easily have fallen behind before their second. Third and fourth goals were great finishes from counter attacks, think that's when their quality really showed.

Didn't see where the Hearts penalty came from, just seen the player on the ground and the ref pointing to the spot. Can't make a judgement on it til I see it again. I must admit the Queens one was barely a foul and I was laughing when he pointed to the penalty spot, was certain it was outside the box. Queens fans seemed to think the ref was on Hearts' side but I just think he was innocently shit. Booking Higgins for that ruckus whilst Buaben walked away unpunished being a shining example of his ineptness.

Alexander is a v. v. good keeper and showed that today, solid performance I thought.

On a final note, Hearts have some #dece choons for their goal music and I j'adore that H-E-A, R-T-S song.

ETA: Third goal wasn't a counter, just a superb solo piece of play by Buaben shortly after a period of Queens domination.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyable game, with considerably more entertainment than that dross Queens draw vs Hibs a few weeks ago. Obviously I'd rather a point than an exciting pumping but not too disappointed with the result, considering Hearts' form and Hibs getting beat at Falkirk.

For Queens, Kerr was very wasteful in possession and I was glad to see the back of him come half-time. Queens' performance in the first half was pretty shocking. We'd retain possession well, but it only ever led up to a punt up the park to Alexander. Very lacklustre and it seemed as if our only real chance of scoring that half was to draw fouls around the box and try to score from the set-piece, which of course is never too likely given the lack of consistency in delivery from McShane (whom I admit played very well). Second half we played the ball quicker, and the team no longer looked one-paced. I'll leave it to the formation roasters to decide whether or not it was because of an extra striker on the pitch that we upped our intensity. Beanie was our MoM, great display from him today. Kidd was pretty poor, and Dzierzawski was considerably average. Reilly played decent but was isolated first half.

Hearts scored in the first half then seemed content to sit on their lead and let Queens pass the ball around (which was fair as we showed no goal threat). The first goal was a defensive howler but a fantastic finish by Keatings, and then they had a shot cleared off the line shortly after. Together with the penalty miss and Hearts could have had a stronger half-time lead, especially if they had more of a go at a Queens team that were struggling to up the tempo. Second half they seemed to struggle as Queens grew more into the game. Could easily have fallen behind before their second. Third and fourth goals were great finishes from counter attacks, think that's when their quality really showed.

Didn't see where the Hearts penalty came from, just seen the player on the ground and the ref pointing to the spot. Can't make a judgement on it til I see it again. I must admit the Queens one was barely a foul and I was laughing when he pointed to the penalty spot, was certain it was outside the box. Queens fans seemed to think the ref was on Hearts' side but I just think he was innocently shit. Booking Higgins for that ruckus whilst Buaben walked away unpunished being a shining example of his ineptness.

Alexander is a v. v. good keeper and showed that today, solid performance I thought.

On a final note, Hearts have some #dece choons for their goal music and I j'adore that H-E-A, R-T-S song.

Superb summary mate, but I'm all out of greenies so I'll need to be owe you one :(

I forgot to mention Adam Eckersley in one of my earlier posts, but he is a great player and very dependable. His playing style and build reminds me of Andy Driver even though they obviously play in different positions.

To have him and McHattie at left-back is terrific. We have strength in depth all over the park.

Scott Wilson has been the Hearts stadium announcer for a very long time and is part of the furniture. He definitely enhances the match day experience.

Queens are the best team in the league to come to Tynecastle so far. But Queens are still shite. We were poor for the most part today, but we ran out convincing winners. We are far ahead and unbeaten because we're good, but the lack of real competition is a big factor as well.

First of all, Hearts are head and shoulders above anyone in this league and will, deservedly, win it at a canter. As 19Qos19 said, probably the best side to have played at this level for many years.

They were the better side today and deserved a win but probably not by three clear goals. The first was a great finish but came from a poor defensive header (I think, someone stood up in front of me). We then rode our luck with the penalty miss, had that gone in Hearts go on and win comfortably, and with an outrageously bad penalty award of our own. It was a clear foul but McShane was several yards outside the box. Unfortunately, Iain Russell doesnt know how to spell "sporting integrity" and scored the spot kick. Had Higgins scored from a free header shortly after Id have been quite confident of getting at least a point but it wasnt to be. Wilson up the other end gets a bit of luck and we go 2-1 down. Just like the first game at Palmerston it was a piece of individual skill from Bauban that turned the game Hearts way. After that went in, it was all over. The four was a nice break away but made the scoreline look harsh.

Still, other results went our way and, as some fans said before the game, if losing to Hearts means they win the league ahead of Rangers then so be it. Hopefully, we can do them a favour on Friday night

Not sure about Alexander, not a terrible keeper but wouldn't be sad to see an improvement on him.

Pallardo is a class act and a season of football would in my view potentially make him one of if not the best player in Scotland.

I think Alexander has been great, an inspired signing. 8)

Scott Wilson has been the Hearts stadium announcer for a very long time and is part of the furniture. He definitely enhances the match day experience.

I forgot to mention him. He really is superb. Really enthusiastic but acceptably partisan, if that makes sense. Theres nothing worse than a stadium announcer whos only trying to gee up the home fans - Livy is particularly bad

Yep good summary, we looked so much better when Lyle came on and we need to get away from playing a lone striker, whoever it is, it just doesn't work.

Great away support.

Great game - really enjoyed it. I didn't think we were great and unlike previous posters I though 4-1 was a big flattering to is, Queens have is trouble in the second half and at 1-1 I was a bit worried.

Was sitting in the Roseburn and the Queens fans were singing throughout - full credit to them, great away support.

Scott Wilson is good but he could pack in the Avicci shite after goals to be honest.

Pack in ANY music after goals, it's awful.

Humbug. My favourite was Chesney Hawkes's "The One and Only", when Cesnuaskis scored.

I forgot to mention him. He really is superb. Really enthusiastic but acceptably partisan, if that makes sense. Theres nothing worse than a stadium announcer whos only trying to gee up the home fans - Livy is particularly bad

I first came across Scott Wilson when he used to do the stadium announcing for the Scottish Claymores. He really is excellent at it.

On the game its been pretty much covered by everyone else really. Hearts are good, very good, particularly in midfield where they are so sharp. Looked like Fowler tried to address that with an extra body in Kevin Dzierzawski knowing that we couldnt match up on an equal numbers basis. Even so we got over-run in there at times first half. Still if Higgins gets any touch at all on McShane's clever free kick we take the lead. He missed it and 20 seconds later Hearts are 1-0 up with a bit of a "worldy". They were certainly worth their lead though.

The ref got the stramash before half time all wrong. Poor challenge on Russell. Cant believe he didnt get a card for it. Russell then reacts. Might have got red but for me he more barged the boy over than raised his hands. Then everyone else gets involved during which time Buaban apparently struck Higgins but the officials missed it but didnt miss Higgins reaction which got him booked. To top it all we inexplicably restarted play with a Hearts free kick when the ball had been out of play for a throw before it all kicked off!

Didnt get a good enough view of the Hearts penalty to give an opinion. Ours looked a foul but a foot or so outside the box for me. I was appealing for a free kick.

If we had got the lead from the header (was it Higgy? I thought it was Dowie) then who knows. Instead Wilson got lucky at the other end and Hearts ran out comfortable winners after that. No complaints about the result at all. We did well at times but the better team won. Margin maybe slightly flattered them but not as much as 3-0 at Palmerston did. Othrr results were decent for us so not a bad day all in.

Made a decent fist of it , but Hearts are a very classy outfit. Who for two 15 minute spells were unplayable. After hearts scored, we were very lucky to make it to half time 1 down. Kerr just doesn't have the legs against the better teams in the league and was as bad as I've seen him.

Second half We played very well for the first 15 minutes. I'd say Alexander's save from Higgins was the key moment in the game. After that we conceded and went for it way too early IMO and got ripped apart.

It was for 60 odd minutes a pretty feisty encounter but hearts are already playing like Champions. Hopefully we can help them out next week.

8) thats some goal by Keatings...a long punt it may have been but to put that on target instead of Jupiter is class..

It's a cracking finish, but it's not as Allan Preston described it on the Radio. He said he took it on the volley, directly from the 70 yard pass. He didn't mention the poor, defensive header that effectively teed him up.

Archived