Queen of the South v Brora Rangers

SUPERSOUTH

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably fitting there was no sponsor because no one deserved to be man of the match. Worst performance of the season that I've seen.

Instead of killing the tie the early goal seemed to rattle us and we resorted to a horrible long ball game not seen at Palmy for many a year. We improved in the 2nd half when Kerr started knocking it about, but really we should have been passing them to death from the start.

It's probably fitting there was no sponsor because no one deserved to be man of the match. Worst performance of the season that I've seen.

Instead of killing the tie the early goal seemed to rattle us and we resorted to a horrible long ball game not seen at Palmy for many a year. We improved in the 2nd half when Kerr started knocking it about, but really we should have been passing them to death from the start.

Early goal then they thought it was a stroll .Trying killer passes and fancy stuff instead of keeping the ball on the deck swift and sharp .Hopefully Fowler ripped them to pieces at halftime .

We tried but Brora had obviously done their homework and were pressing the ball really high up and with a lot of pace. Despite the early goal we never really got to grips with that and resorted to playing longer balls. In my opinion, the problem was that the passing was too short and tight which made it easier for the Brora players to close down. We should have been using the ball to stretch them more.

At the end of the day we were ahead for 88 minutes of the game and never in any danger of losing. Im not sure the scoreline really flattered us that much. For all of Broras good play and pace up front they only created one, maybe two clear cut chances plus a few half chances. We created, easily, as much on top of scoring four goals.

All credit to Brora, though, they looked a much better team than I expected. Its not difficult to see how theyve scored so many goals in the Highland league with the pace they have up front - although I was a little disapointed in MacKay. For a guy whos scored so many goals he never really had a sniff.

Also, cant not mention the Brora fans. Absolutly fantastic turn out

They were hounding McShane and Kerr to death in the first half when we had the ball and their energy levels were high. Add in the fact that Brora were winning most of the 50-50 tackles in the first half, knocked us out of rhythm and forced us long. Trying to do this for a whole 90 mins against a team of our ability is difficult though and it showed later.

We tried but Brora had obviously done their homework and were pressing the ball really high up and with a lot of pace. Despite the early goal we never really got to grips with that and resorted to playing longer balls. In my opinion, the problem was that the passing was too short and tight which made it easier for the Brora players to close down. We should have been using the ball to stretch them more.

At the end of the day we were ahead for 88 minutes of the game and never in any danger of losing. Im not sure the scoreline really flattered us that much. For all of Broras good play and pace up front they only created one, maybe two clear cut chances plus a few half chances. We created, easily, as much on top of scoring four goals.

All credit to Brora, though, they looked a much better team than I expected. Its not difficult to see how theyve scored so many goals in the Highland league with the pace they have up front - although I was a little disapointed in MacKay. For a guy whos scored so many goals he never really had a sniff.

Also, cant not mention the Brora fans. Absolutly fantastic turn out

Indeed , there's must of been 100 plus fans there ??? Spoke to a few beforehand in the Hole in the Wa' .

Could be a nervy day for Queens. Brora are a decent team, I would say they would challenge in the 3rd tier of Scottish football.

Andrew Greig is tricky, Sutherland and Mackay are very good up front.

Malin is better the most keepers in the Championship.

Number 11was Andrew Greig, and is very good. Sutherland was no 9 I believe. Malin sounds like he did have a decent game too.

Think he's gone quiet

Anyway I will always go head to head with any semi illiterates. But that would be cruel for you. I will let you stew in your ignorant soup . just woke up after a night to remember!! .. serious question. ....is Jim Atkinson (shot stopper) better than big Xander C (random cross flapper? )

Anyway I will always go head to head with any semi illiterates. But that would be cruel for you. I will let you stew in your ignorant soup . just woke up after a night to remember!! .. serious question. ....is Jim Atkinson (shot stopper) better than big Xander C (random cross flapper? )

Two young keepers with potential, still learning their trade, gaining experience and getting better. That's all I've got to say on the issue.

Number 11was Andrew Greig, and is very good. Sutherland was no 9 I believe. Malin sounds like he did have a decent game too.

Greig was definitely the standout. As others have said, Sutherland looked good, but not as good as he thinks he is, and his display was marred by a number of needless attempts to con the referee.

Malin is an odd one. Made some good saves although arguably none you wouldnt, probably, expect him to make but totally sold himself for the 3rd goal which killed the tie

So they didnt "give as good as they got" then. They did for an hour or so but then fitness told. Only one team in it for the last 20 mins.

We had 13 shots; 8 on target. They had 11 shots; 8 on target. It was hardly one way traffic, and yes I stand by what I said, they did give as good as they got. Quality shone through in the end though. Being the only team in it for the last 20 minutes isn't really anything to brag about against a Highland League team is probably my point. We should have been out of sight before fitness told. It sounds disrespectful to Brora, but all I am trying to get at is that we should be beating teams like that with ease, not relying on their fitness fading before we make sure of the result.

From our point of view the goals came at crucial times. Specifically the 2nd and 3rd. Brora were on top just before our 2nd and the 3rd came not long after they had gotten back into it. The 3rd was definitely the killer blow; thankfully.

We could have scored more yesterday, but then so could Brora. I still believe 4-1 made it look a bit more flattering than it was, if for no other reason it does Atkinson a disservice as he made a few really crucial stops.

Totally agree, and it's what I'm trying to say above, but I've a tenancy to waffle on when writing rather than get to the point (I'm using my 'blame the dyslexia' card on that front :()

Malin is an odd one. Made some good saves although arguably none you wouldnt, probably, expect him to make but totally sold himself for the 3rd goal which killed the tie

Really? I was right next to the away fans so maybe didn't have as good a view as yourself, but I thought there was little he could have done? I think he was probably expecting the flag mind you, but was it not a case of one-on-one and Russell got the better of him? I'm guessing he was beaten at his front post that makes you say this?

(Not trying to sound cheeky on that front, just a genuine query as to what the guy did wrong :) )

It'll have to be me that bites then. What's your problem? Is there a reason you're doing your utmost to pick a fight with someone? Have you been on a week long bender or has your account just been hacked? I thought you were maybe just a poor wind-up merchant at first, especially with your laughable comments about Dobbie, but tbh your coming across as a bit of a fud.

We had 13 shots; 8 on target. They had 11 shots; 8 on target. It was hardly one way traffic, and yes I stand by what I said, they did give as good as they got. Quality shone through in the end though. Being the only team in it for the last 20 minutes isn't really anything to brag about against a Highland League team is probably my point. We should have been out of sight before fitness told. It sounds disrespectful to Brora, but all I am trying to get at is that we should be beating teams like that with ease, not relying on their fitness fading before we make sure of the result.

Really? I was right next to the away fans so maybe didn't have as good a view as yourself, but I thought there was little he could have done? I think he was probably expecting the flag mind you, but was it not a case of one-on-one and Russell got the better of him? I'm guessing he was beaten at his front post that makes you say this?

(Not trying to sound cheeky on that front, just a genuine query as to what the guy did wrong :) )

On Malin, Russell totally fooled him into thinking he was going to pull it back to Lyle and Malin took a full step to his left to try to cut out the pull back, leaving Russell a massive gap at the near post to poke it into. We would almost certainly have scored anyway but Malin has basically stood aside and said "on you go Iain, stick it in this corner here". It was very obvious from the Main Stand but presumably wouldn't have been from the Rosefield one. Certainly wasn't obvious in the Sportscene footage from roughly where you were.

Russell was miles onside by the way. It wasn't even close. Clearly the Brora players were appealing against Lyle who was offside but as he didn't touch the ball on the way through it was never going to be offside. It was a really well worked goal.

As for your first point, I'm not trying to underestimate Brora who came and had a go, held their own for an hour plus and played some nice stuff at times. They are far from the worst side to come here this season and leave with nothing (and unlike almost everyone else apart from Hearts, they scored). But football lasts 90 minutes, not 70. Just like the fact Gus MacPherson's side would not have been relegated if games were 70 minutes long was irrelevant too. By the end we were well on top whatever the stats say. I thought the margin over 90 minutes was about right.

It's another measure of how far we've come in the last decade or so though. A couple of weeks ago people were moaning that we only drew with HIbs. Now people are moaning we "only" beat a Highland League side 4-1. And a Highland League side that by common consent is roughly League One level.

Archived