• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon he's a well known knob around the (many) bars in Westminster and she's made the mistake of reacting on camera in the same way every female mp reacts to him. He's quite clearly a fanny and you don't have the intelligence to realise that and admit as much.

The issues are issues that are being raised, and rightly so! Bbc3 had something on the other night by Prof green about suicide amongst men. No sane, rational person would be put off supporting these issues due to this incident.

How about you accuse me of threatening to rape someone again ? I don't have the intelligence ? when this is the level of your argument ? sit down

He may well be a fanny, other than this issue he has raised he is of questionable character......but him raising these issues is important to a lot of people who won't or feel they cant ask for help and people asking for someone to be silenced when raising them is a very dangerous thing to do and for a female MP to openly laugh is beyond disgusting.

How about you accuse me of threatening to rape someone again ? I don't have the intelligence ? when this is the level of your argument ? sit down

He may well be a fanny, other than this issue he has raised he is of questionable character......but him raising these issues is important to a lot of people who won't or feel they cant ask for help and people asking for someone to be silenced when raising them is a very dangerous thing to do and for a female MP to openly laugh is beyond disgusting.

When did I accuse you of raping someone?

Were you one of the guys threatening to rape the woman who dared to suggest that important women in history should be given a smidgen more recognition?

I'd like to apologise to you diegomarahenry.

I was making the point that the woman was subjected to horrendous abuse for her suggestion. To do this by suggesting you were one of these arseholes was bang out of order - and I am genuinely sorry.

There are some issues that I do get passionate (or overly passionate) about and this is one of them. The fact that the woman was abused in such a way shows how big a problem we still have in this country.

Whoever quoted the figure of 40% of rapes and domestic abuse cases being against men is so far off the mark - and yet no one picked up on it. What a load of utter bollocks. Yes there are cases where men are the victims of these crimes but they are in a small minority. Should they be ignored? No. Should they be used as deflection for the bigger issue - absolutely not.

I'd still take issue with your original point (which I did not miss). Every now and then a new face appears on a bank note. They have almost entirety been men. This woman started a campaign to get a woman on the next note and was castigated for it. How is that 'middle class shite'? She wasn't on hunger strike - she simply believed (as I do) that historical women should get a wee bit more recognition in society.

Its not the biggest issue in the world - and no one said it was. But when they are making the decision about someone else to be put on a bank note then why shouldn't a woman be suggested for that?

My point is that you probably realise that the guy is a dick but still are willing to defend him.

Beyond disgusting? If this guy is a sleazy b*****d who is just using this issue to attack the committee? If that's the case then it's not disgusting, it's actually acceptable. There is a lot of context here and many people are ignoring that.

Ok. Forgot about that thread.

It is this thread.............

My point is that you probably realise that the guy is a dick but still are willing to defend him.

Beyond disgusting? If this guy is a sleazy b*****d who is just using this issue to attack the committee? If that's the case then it's not disgusting, it's actually acceptable. There is a lot of context here and many people are ignoring that.

I am defending the fact that he is trying to highlight these issues that are not fashionable for MPs to raise, no woman has and no man will because he will be treated like this, There is no attack on the committee other than the one in your head. You are assuming quite a lot here and for anyone to laugh at these issues is disgusting regardless of the context, unless you find them funny ?

She says she laughed because he mentioned inequality in representation of men, which means she misunderstood what was going on, if she hadn't laughed then came out swinging because she had made an undignified arse of herself this wouldn't be being discussed at such length.

It is this thread.............

I am defending the fact that he is trying to highlight these issues that are not fashionable for MPs to raise, no woman has and no man will because he will be treated like this, There is no attack on the committee other than the one in your head. You are assuming quite a lot here and for anyone to laugh at these issues is disgusting regardless of the context, unless you find them funny ?

She says she laughed because he mentioned inequality in representation of men, which means she misunderstood what was going on, if she hadn't laughed then came out swinging because she had made an undignified arse of herself this wouldn't be being discussed at such length.

I thought that was the ched evans thread as that was the topic being discussed.

She's made an arse of it - yes. But if you are 'disgusted' by it then I think you are overreacting.

Do you think she finds the fact that boys are struggling in school or commiting suicide in alarming numbers funny? Do you really think that? Do you think I find it funny?

These issues are rightly being highlighted in society. It shouldn't become a contest between which side is victimised the most but unfortunately that is often the case. The rational view is to take a balanced approach and deal with issues when evidence-based issues are raised. With social media and the Internet these issues are much easier to raise than ever before.

The sniping of both the extreme feminists as well as the anti-feminist brigade does noone any good. This should not be about folk taking sides.

I thought that was the ched evans thread as that was the topic being discussed.

She's made an arse of it - yes. But if you are 'disgusted' by it then I think you are overreacting.

Do you think she finds the fact that boys are struggling in school or commiting suicide in alarming numbers funny? Do you really think that? Do you think I find it funny?

These issues are rightly being highlighted in society. It shouldn't become a contest between which side is victimised the most but unfortunately that is often the case. The rational view is to take a balanced approach and deal with issues when evidence-based issues are raised. With social media and the Internet these issues are much easier to raise than ever before.

The sniping of both the extreme feminists as well as the anti-feminist brigade does noone any good. This should not be about folk taking sides.

You have done so many U-turns and missed too many points for me to bother replying with anything meaningful

This is terrific entertainment, the same pattern I've witnessed innumerable times.

A: I am for women's rights and issues, but also support the same for men. That's why I'm not a feminist.

Feminists: Feminism is about equality, check the dictionary! Therefore it's for men too!

A: But you seem to be completely focused on women's issues and don't seem to raise men's issues.

Feminists: You can do that yourself, LOL!

A - Raises men's issues, raises issues about inequality

Feminists: Look at those misogynists! LOL man tears! Troll alert! Why do you hate women so much? Do you know how privileged you are? Typical right-winger! Small-dick basement-dwelling virgin! etc. etc. etc.

The disturbing thing is that this is often also the kind of response from male feminists, or a response supported by men.

They should and none of those issues require a separate men's time set aside to do so.

I have no evidence for this but f**k it it's the internet. I don't think he gives a shit about any of these issues but is using them as a vehicle to troll. People like him who are so utterly blind to their own privilege will see any effort to rebalance the debate as somehow men are being discriminated against.

Bit of clarity as several sexist, classist and party political posters seem unable to process a simple 10 minute video amid their deer-on-rollerskates-in-a-giant-tombola attempts to somewhat justify Jess Phillips' line and obscure the actual issues at hand.

• Davies brought up the issue of International Men's Day to the government, who directed him to the committee. He obliged. He followed procedure.
  • There was no obligation or expectation to raise any of the individual issues anywhere else in government beforehand. Indeed, Davies' explained that these issues are rarely given any opportunity for airing in the House.
  • If the issues he's raised can allegedly be raised any time without the courtesy of a special airing on International Men's Day, then the same goes for women's issues and International Women's Day, and the 12 other days of the years put aside for women's issues.
  • His proposal was not rejected out-of-hand, he was told by the lucid members of the committee to gather signatures from MPs of other parties and then come back for reconsideration.
  • If raising an issue for the first time is trolling, then every MP raising an issue for the first time is trolling.

Now, invergowrie_arab, the implication of what you are saying is that the proposal for a session on International Men's Day to equal that on International Women's Day cannot be brought forward by a seemingly well-off person, nor by a man. Since there isn't an MP in the house without privilege, most glaringly that of being in a position of power, how do you suggest the proposal could actually be raised? Would you be equally rattled if the proposal was brought forward by a woman? Say, an SNP women? Say, an SNP woman elected off the back of an all-woman shortlist?

Also bizarre how you and one or two others are spectacularly failing to grasp that the debate is for the men and boys of the country, not for Davies and thirteen other signatories. Is the debate on International Women's Day for them privileged women MP trolls, or for the women and girls of the country?

I see that some burd got stoned to death in Afghanistan after being accused of adultery.

The feminists should be over there giving it big licks about woman's rights tbh. They won't because they are shite bags.

The tory mp was clearly just trolling - whilst they are valid issues I suspect he doesn't really give two shits about them and was just using them to noise up jess phillips who took the bait and ended up looking like an arsehole.

On a wider note, I fail to see how any criticism of feminism equates to misogyny. One of the main issues which prevents myself, and I suspect a fair number of other men, as identifying as a feminist is the complete lack of a clear definition of the ideas underpinning it (equality for women is too vague and every right thinking person must agree with that).

You have the so called fourth wave feminists focusing on issues affecting privileged middle class women, dinosaurs of the third wave still advocating political lesbianism as a choice with barely concealed misandry, inviting ridicule and hindering the advancement of gay equality in one go, the attitude of some feminists towards trans women and the manipulation of statistics to support arguments which just ends up undermining what can often be a valid point.

You can quite rightly call the majority of "mens rights activists" utter fuds without being accused of man hating and should be able to criticise aspects of feminism without the howled accusations of misogyny.

Archived