Are Hearts the most envied club in Scottish football?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we called Heart of Midlothian? Sounds like you don't know.

QoS is a good name as well. What is the story?

It's not that brilliant a tale, so far as I'm aware.

A local politician called Dunbar, described the town thus, in a speech.

Great name though. Much better than if we'd simply been called Dumfries, with or without some predictable suffix.

Did Sir Walter come up with your name?

It's not that brilliant a tale, so far as I'm aware. A local politician called Dunbar, described the town thus, in a speech. Great name though. Much better than if we'd simply been called Dumfries, with or without some predictable suffix. Did Sir Walter come up with your name?

Not quite, although it was referred to in his novel 'Heart of Midlothian'.

The name originates from the old hangmans booth that stood on the Royal Mile which was called Heart of Midlothian. If you walk up the Royal Mile today you'll see this on the site where it was.

1202531877.jpg

And as any Edinburgh resident worth their salt knows, you spit on it for good luck. :)

The great quote from Albert Mackie's book in relation to this discussion is

"And Tom Purdie, if it was he who chose it, had a stroke of genius when he selected 'Heart of Midlothian' as the name of a sport club. It out-dazzles New York Yankees, Boston Braves and even Queen of the South"

Now I'm sure the QoS lads will disagree with that, but they are by far the two best names in Scottish football. :)

"And Tom Purdie, if it was he who chose it, had a stroke of genius when he selected 'Heart of Midlothian' as the name of a sport club. It out-dazzles New York Yankees, Boston Braves and even Queen of the South"

Now I'm sure the QoS lads will disagree with that, but they are by far the two best names in Scottish football. :)

Indeed.

Wonderful, evocative names both.

There seems to be a lot of envy at Hearts current league position given the number of hasbeen bluenoses that are coming out in the media saying "Rangers can still win the Championship".

As my Jambo mate at work said "they'll be lucky to last the season"!

Whit? One of you was named after a penny dreadful by a tawdry novelist and the other by other by some misquote in the NT?

I was feeling for Greggy, putting a big meaty bit of bait on and looking for big fish, only to get wee bits of plankton. But then...

Rangers were named by the administrators :lol:

STRAIGHT OUTTA NOWHERE!!!

Sit doon Kincardine, you Fifewegian fanny.

Aren't Queen of the South mentioned in the bible?

"The Queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Hearts is here." (Matthew 12: 42)

Jesus > Walter Scott

Archived