Question Time

Elixir

18 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Yeah I was a bit disappointed with Mari Mcallan as shes supposed to be the young up and coming star. She still young though so will get better at speaking. I dont know why but most SNP msps,mps seem to get annoyed when speaking on nearly any subject. Its not all of them but its certainly most. 

Its a bit tiresome listening to anyone like that, staying calm and getting the point across works better, at least for me. Maybe for others they like listening to that. 

I heard the radio equivalent of Question Time, Any Questions, tonight. It's usually more civilised.

Johann Lamont was on for Labour. I'd forgotten what a torn faced boot she was. And Mad Mickey Forsyth was on for the Tories. The cnut's cnut. Both sounded annoyed speaking on subjects so it's not just SNP politicians. (Jim Fairley was the SNP representative and he sounded generally emollient)

On 19/05/2023 at 06:15, ScotiaNostra said:

Yeah I was a bit disappointed with Mari Mcallan as shes supposed to be the young up and coming star. She still young though so will get better at speaking. I dont know why but most SNP msps,mps seem to get annoyed when speaking on nearly any subject. Its not all of them but its certainly most. 

Its a bit tiresome listening to anyone like that, staying calm and getting the point across works better, at least for me. Maybe for others they like listening to that. 

As Salmond said, she 'drew the short straw'.  That would have been a tough gig for anyone in the SNP, and she looked out of her depth.  Like you say, she'll probably get better at speaking over time.

The Tory spoke surprisingly well apart from the one time he rambled on a bit and lost the audience :D

The journo was obnoxious, Jackie Baillie was OK and Salmond spoke confidently as usual.  He was on a clear mission to have SNP voters jump to him.

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The rehabilitation of Alex Salmond (in some eyes) never fails to amaze me.

This is a guy who had a show on Russia Today for 5 years, ffs !

I used to watch "Going Underground" on Russia Today and it's probably the best politics show I've seen. The boy that hosted  it, Afshin Rattansi, is the best in the business. Ruthless and incisive while exuding warmth and honest curiosity. The topics they covered were often left of centre and done with an honest intellectual rigour. 

I know people like to frame RT as simply a Putin propaganda toy (not necessarily saying you are one such) but I never got that impression from watching it. Mehdi Hussain, the editor of The New Statesman, also had a show for years. 

Tbf I never watched Salmond's show, so it could have been him draped in a Russian flag and singing Katyusha for all I know. I don't think that having an RT show is the most incriminating thing against him.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't think that having an RT show is the most incriminating thing against him.

Neither do I................

I know people who worked with him back in the day.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I used to watch "Going Underground" on Russia Today and it's probably the best politics show I've seen. The boy that hosted  it, Afshin Rattansi, is the best in the business. Ruthless and incisive while exuding warmth and honest curiosity. The topics they covered were often left of centre and done with an honest intellectual rigour. 

I know people like to frame RT as simply a Putin propaganda toy (not necessarily saying you are one such) but I never got that impression from watching it. Mehdi Hussain, the editor of The New Statesman, also had a show for years. 

Tbf I never watched Salmond's show, so it could have been him draped in a Russian flag and singing Katyusha for all I know. I don't think that having an RT show is the most incriminating thing against him.

Some of the content was fine but my abiding memory is of their cartwheeling attempts to disassociate Russia and the Donbass separatists from the shooting down of the Malaysian airliner, contradictory theories and "evidence" coming out every few hours. It made Colin Powell's PowerPoint presentation of Iraqi WMD 'evidence' at the UN look like a masterpiece of rigorous objectivity.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

He done nothing wrong to require rehabilitation.  A totally innocent man who was stitched up by some folk who are about to take a mighty fall.  

Big deal if RT bought his show.  If he was still on RT now you might have a point but he cancelled it when the Russia/Ukraine war began. 

1 hour ago, EV9 said:

He done nothing wrong to require rehabilitation.  A totally innocent man who was stitched up by some folk who are about to take a mighty fall.  

Big deal if RT bought his show.  If he was still on RT now you might have a point but he cancelled it when the Russia/Ukraine war began. 

"Totally innocent".  I think you might be stretching it there 🤭

Glad he cancelled the show at the point it became apparent that Russia was a terrorist state, I mean there was absolutely no evidence before 2022..................

14 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

"Totally innocent".  I think you might be stretching it there 🤭

Glad he cancelled the show at the point it became apparent that Russia was a terrorist state, I mean there was absolutely no evidence before 2022..................

…….and the BBC is an extension of the Westminister government. 

Go on then show me some evidence then of any wrongdoing beyond cheating on his wife. 

The witch-hunt against Salmond is utterly staggering and completely disproportionate. 

I don’t see Stuart Hosie (for example) getting the same treatment.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

I used to watch "Going Underground" on Russia Today and it's probably the best politics show I've seen. The boy that hosted  it, Afshin Rattansi, is the best in the business.  

Agreed - and he'd let the guest give a full response to his questions without butting in. Used to annoy the hell out of me when John Snow, Cathy Newman and Krishnan Gurumurthy used to do that all the time on C4 News. 

2 hours ago, EV9 said:

8 years after they invaded in 2014.

On 20/05/2023 at 11:59, EV9 said:

It began in 2014

On 20/05/2023 at 14:55, welshbairn said:

8 years after they invaded in 2014.

Excellent point.  

You’re my ‘poster of the day’ and win a clock radio. 

A prize which ironically could also show 20:14.  

PM me for postage deets

On 20/05/2023 at 08:57, Leith Green said:

I take your point but the reason behind that was simply no other ..ahem...UK platform was available....so what would you have done were you in his place and by the way I'm not an Alba member but still a member of the SNP.Now you either believe me or you dont...it matters not.

14 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You forgotten the sleepy cuddles?

Y'see...Dee Till Eh Deh hits the nail on the head.

A First Minister of Scotland should never...never compromise his/her position in this fashion.

I like Alex. I voted for him and admire his intellect.

The fact remains...not acceptable. Still a member of the SNP and always will be until we're free.