Roberts Sacked

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a all seriousness, if achievable Steve Aitken ideal choice, Tucker & Hendo done excellent and capable if stepping up, Danny Lennon, Billy Stark?

Yeh, Deano but will Aitken apply for the Ayr job ? My preference would be Danny Lennon

But Lachlan's early statements have inferred experience is the key. Get the impression he's done with the younger brigade and wants someone who's been course and distance.

"We're getting Calderwood" type statement IMO.

Would Danny Lennon want to come down to this level after what's looking more and more like doing a very good job at St mirren with the state there in the now. Ian mccoll wouldn't be the worst shout in the world if you ask me. Wouldn't mind aitkin but can't see him coming

God knows who else

Surprised no one said Stevo player manager.... Joking!!!

Would Danny Lennon want to come down to this level after what's looking more and more like doing a very good job at St mirren with the state there in the now. Ian mccoll wouldn't be the worst shout in the world if you ask me. Wouldn't mind aitkin but can't see him coming

God knows who else

Surprised no one said Stevo player manager.... Joking!!!

Wonder if he could ask for the fixture list to be changed so he can play for Partick on a Saturday and manage Ayr on a Sunday?

Danny Lennon went from Cowdenbeath to St Mirren. Arguably we're a slightly bigger club than Cowdenbeath were when he took the helm there. This is the chance for him to come back in to management, first objective secure league status anything more is a bonus. Next season he has a chance to push for the title, assuming LC funds or can find funding for us to stay full time he'll be in a very good position to do so. Its a good opportunity to put himself back in the window for a bigger gig than us. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to getting a manager in who is using us as a stepping stone so long as they perform whilst at the helm.

Would Danny Lennon want to come down to this level

Any port in a storm. He currently doesn't have a job as a football manager, which makes it a slightly more tempting offer than those from Championship and Premiership sides which have the unfortunate drawback of not yet existing.

I'd be very happy with Lennon. I doubt Reid would take it and there's no chance Aitken would even be interested (though bringing his brother back and making him captain would be the greatest piece of football trolling SFL1 had ever seen).

I would be entirely unsurprised if the eventual successful candidate turns out to be some no-mark from the Juniors, or some utterly random ex-player with no management experience.

Not particularly surprised to see Roberts leave Ayr; a great character but he never struck me as a manager.

I'd be extremely surprised to see Lennon take the job; his stock is reasonably high, helped by St Mirren's dismal performance so far this season, and I don't think he has to drop to the Second for a gig. Raith don't have much to play for this season, they're not going to be relegated nor are they going to feature in the promotion play-offs, so binning Grant Murray mid-season probably isn't high on their list of priorities. But with more to play for next season, I won't be surprised to see them part ways at the end of the season and Lennon would be the ideal candidate for that job.

Aitken is doing a fantastic job at Stranraer and is probably the best young manager in the lower leagues just now. I would imagine he will have his sights set a little bit higher when the time comes to leave. I think Allan Moore is one of the best part-time managers about and might be quoted for the job but with the Ayr role being full-time and taking into account his current success at Arbroath, he won't be going anywhere. Additionally, I would have thought MacPherson and Shiels' Killie connections would rule them out but you never know.

I don't think appointing a Junior manager is the best course of action; Mark Shanks was hardly a ringing endorsement for doing so. I see Henderson has been installed as the new favourite but he's hardly performing miracles at Hurlford despite having (on the face of it) a decent budget. I know he's an ex-player which might go down well with the fans and that would be no bad thing given Roberts' poor relationship with them.

Ian McCall has perhaps been out of management too long to be considered a front-runner (and I think his "reputation" precedes him in certain respects) but you can't argue with the job he did at Thistle in terms of stabilising and he started the ball rolling on many aspects that are now bearing fruit. Ayr could do a lot worse.

Fair analysis, Armand.

Shiels can be ruled out, the chairman has already said there's virtually no chance of it happening.

McCall kinda scares me a bit, his record was patchy at QoS and not amazing at Thistle (but not bad either). Has he been out of the game for too long? Possibly.

I imagine there will be some left field applicants who might excite the fans, bring on Winston Bogarde!

Aitken speaking about the Ayr job and this weekends game...

Stranraer boss Stephen Aitken says he is flattered by interest linking him with the managers job at Ayr United.

The Blues boss has led his team to second place in League One this season and also narrowly lost out on penalties to Livingston in the Petrofac Training Cup semi finals in October.

And it seems the 38 year olds work hasnt gone unnoticed with Aitken coming into 4/1 at McBookie.com to be appointed the new Ayr manager following Mark Roberts sacking from the Ayrshire club on Monday.

However, Aitken said: My focus at the moment is totally on Stranraer and I am proud of what we have achieved at this club not only this season but over the last two seasons since I have been in charge.

As a manager it is always flattering to be linked with jobs whether it is Ayr United or any job and recently there has been a few big jobs out there.

Theres always going to be speculation but my focus is on the side I am with currently and keeping our good run going.

On the park, Stranraer kept up their good run on Saturday with a 4-1 win at Peterhead, bouncing back from losing an early goal.

Aitken said: Im over the moon as to how the players reacted. It was a good move and good finish from Peterhead early on but it was a great reaction from the players and they have done that all season.

We were very strong in the second half when we scored three goals and we looked a stronger outfit than them.

Conditions were really tough on Saturday and the pitch was icy so it was great to get the win and move into 2nd.

Aitkens men travel to Dunfermline this Saturday to face a team who parted company with manager Jim Jefferies earlier this week knowing that they beat them 3-1 at East End Park in a Scottish Cup replay earlier this month.

Aitken said: I think we have to take lessons out of that game as we played really well that night to win that tie and it is a great psychological boost for the players knowing they can beat full time teams, just as it was with Morton earlier in the month.

Theyve changed their manager this week and were obviously expecting a bit of a reaction from that so it might not be the best time to play them.

But weve been in great form lately and well look to keep ourselves near the top end of the table.

Aitken speaking about the Ayr job and this weekends game...

Stranraer boss Stephen Aitken says he is flattered by interest linking him with the managers job at Ayr United.

The Blues boss has led his team to second place in League One this season and also narrowly lost out on penalties to Livingston in the Petrofac Training Cup semi finals in October.

And it seems the 38 year olds work hasnt gone unnoticed with Aitken coming into 4/1 at McBookie.com to be appointed the new Ayr manager following Mark Roberts sacking from the Ayrshire club on Monday.

However, Aitken said: My focus at the moment is totally on Stranraer and I am proud of what we have achieved at this club not only this season but over the last two seasons since I have been in charge.

As a manager it is always flattering to be linked with jobs whether it is Ayr United or any job and recently there has been a few big jobs out there.

Theres always going to be speculation but my focus is on the side I am with currently and keeping our good run going.

On the park, Stranraer kept up their good run on Saturday with a 4-1 win at Peterhead, bouncing back from losing an early goal.

Aitken said: Im over the moon as to how the players reacted. It was a good move and good finish from Peterhead early on but it was a great reaction from the players and they have done that all season.

We were very strong in the second half when we scored three goals and we looked a stronger outfit than them.

Conditions were really tough on Saturday and the pitch was icy so it was great to get the win and move into 2nd.

Aitkens men travel to Dunfermline this Saturday to face a team who parted company with manager Jim Jefferies earlier this week knowing that they beat them 3-1 at East End Park in a Scottish Cup replay earlier this month.

Aitken said: I think we have to take lessons out of that game as we played really well that night to win that tie and it is a great psychological boost for the players knowing they can beat full time teams, just as it was with Morton earlier in the month.

Theyve changed their manager this week and were obviously expecting a bit of a reaction from that so it might not be the best time to play them.

But weve been in great form lately and well look to keep ourselves near the top end of the table.

And the Chairman of Stranraer has taken to the honestpage :lol:

Wonder if he could ask for the fixture list to be changed so he can play for Partick on a Saturday and manage Ayr on a Sunday?

I'd love to see what would happen when Partick draw Ayr in the Cup. Stevenson could be playing for Thistle while shouting instructions to the opposition, like some sort of schizophrenic cyborg programmed to think against its own actions- now that would be worth the entry fee.

I'd love to see what would happen when Partick draw Ayr in the Cup. Stevenson could be playing for Thistle while shouting instructions to the opposition, like some sort of schizophrenic cyborg programmed to think against its own actions- now that would be worth the entry fee.

Stevenson himself would be worth that entry fee, love that man.

Archived