Roberts Sacked

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel sorry for Mark Roberts but this news is long overdue. We can't continue to go for the cheap/promote from within route as it hasn't worked in the past. We need someone who has a proven record and can get a buzz going around the place. Ally McLeod was great at talking up the club, for all we weren't world beaters with him in charge we had a cracking support that turned up home and away.

Thanks for the playing memories, Marko, you were fantastic for us. Sorry that management didn't work out for you, but to be fair you owe a lot to AUFC - how many other clubs would have given you as long to try and turn things around?

It's not the time for a speculative appointment, there's too much riding on the next 5 months. The club need to eradicate the possibility of relegation as quickly as possible.

Ideally, the new man in charge will motivate & improve the current playing staff as new additions might prove thin on the ground. Organise them, make them more cohesive. Experience essential, certainly in the lower leagues. Ability to work with little or no budget.

For me, step forward Danny Lennon.

I'll throw in a name from left field: Matt Lockwood.

Was one of the names being touted for the Morton job in pre-season before we released him. Went back down to England to become a player-coach at Sutton United, but quit early last month as the travelling was getting to him as he still resides up here. Ran a successful soccer school back in England as well. And could probably still stroll this league at LB or sweeper if you need either of those positions filled.

New manager is a bigger / more important decision that getting rid of Roberts. If we don't get this right we could be looking at league 2 next season, and apart from Lennon none of the names banded about so far fill me with confidence, no offence to Tucker Sloan but being successful with Talbot is the same as being successful at the old firm, ie being the big fish in a small pond.

However with the open application, full time position etc, we may get a good standard of candidate and the no internal appointment was good to see.

Ideally, I'd like to see Scott McLaughlin get the gig as a player/manager.

A project that cant fail IMO.

I'm hoping we appoint someone who doesn't see McLaughlin as captain material never mind manager.

A great player but her never convinced as a manager. He might make a decent coach in the future but he's not shown the required tactical nous for a manager and you never felt he commanded the respect of his players.

Unfortunately the Scottish lower leagues are a bit of a managerial bloodbath this week and I would imagine Ayr is at the bottom of the pile when it comes to desirability right now.

Archived