St Mirren Relegation Express

Not really understanding the schadenfreude directed at Saints to be honest.

this I just don't get the sheer hatred towards our club from other fans. I accept the weekly banter but some of it leaves me scratching my head just like our teams performances.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really have against St. Mirren, but I'd much rather have Hearts in the Premiership. If we get both Edinburgh teams up the league will be much improved and a lot more interesting than this year's version.

this I just don't get the sheer hatred towards our club from other fans. I accept the weekly banter but some of it leaves me scratching my head just like our teams performances.

I think some of the hate comes as a result of certain fans on here. St Mirren have/had a few guys who are pretty much only posting to wind people up. And they're pretty good at it, apparently.

It's the same with VT and Morton; there are genuinely fans of Champ/L1 teams that hate Morton purely because of him. Bizarre behaviour, really.

Don't really have against St. Mirren, but I'd much rather have Hearts in the Premiership. If we get both Edinburgh teams up the league will be much improved and a lot more interesting than this year's version.

"More interesting than this year"? Aberdeen are still within spitting distance of Celtic!

Don't get me wrong I still believe Celtic will win the league but a combination of Celtic underperforming in the league at times and Aberdeen overperforming & showing consistency has made it the most interesting in years.

From my perspective it stems back to the sheer joy some St.Mirren fans were showing when Dundee were in trouble. Now the rolls are reversed St.Mirren look like they are heading for the drop and may not be back for some time. So I am loving it got my dancing shoes all polished ready for dancing on the grave of St.Mirren!!!

I'll miss the pre-season predictions of finishing in the top six :(

I'll miss the post-season comments about having a top six side who were just unlucky to end up fighting relegation :(

I'll miss the complete optimism that every signing is the one who'll lead the charge into the top half :(

I'll miss every 16 year old who gets a place on the bench being touted as Scotland next superstar :(

I'll miss the pre-season predictions of finishing in the top six :(

I'll miss the post-season comments about having a top six side who were just unlucky to end up fighting relegation :(

I'll miss the complete optimism that every signing is the one who'll lead the charge into the top half :(

I'll miss every 16 year old who gets a place on the bench being touted as Scotland next superstar :(

You'll have Paulo & Greggy's chat to replace all that next season though.....

"More interesting than this year"? Aberdeen are still within spitting distance of Celtic!

Don't get me wrong I still believe Celtic will win the league but a combination of Celtic underperforming in the league at times and Aberdeen overperforming & showing consistency has made it the most interesting in years.

I actually agree with this, this season is a lot more fun than last year's - but there are 8 points between 2nd and 3d now. Hearts is a club that should be up there with Aberdeen every year and they way you guys are run now I think you will be. St. Mirren would need a wonder season to come anywhere near a Europa League spot.

This season really has been an absolute clusterfuck. Here’s the edited highlights and I appreciate this will probably get some tl;dr responses.

Board waits on deciding the manager’s future until after the final game of last season, even though it’s obvious he’s getting binned. Popular manager deprived of chance to say a proper goodbye to the fans.

Instead of weighing up the options and pausing to take stock the board immediately appoint a replacement. The “change of direction” is provided by giving the gig to Tommy Craig, the previous manager’s assistant – a man who made an absolute mess of his only previous club management job and was part of the previous management team that was no longer required. Apparently he didn’t even say to his former manager he was doing it – although that could be because he’s old and can’t work his smartphone. Suggestions he got the job because it would mean no need for new training kit and it would have been too awkward to tell him he wasn’t the new boss after he'd sat in Lennon's chair are unfounded.

The kit suppliers combat the constant criticism about a lack of supply by unveiling a home kit that looks like something Beetlejuice would have rejected, while the away kit has some decent looking stripes combined with a hideous yellow.

Craig sets about a horrific signing spree – maybe because he doesn’t have a clue, maybe because the budget is shite or maybe a bit of both. New arrivals are mainly pish, injury prone or pish and injury prone.

Star midfielder Kenny McLean agrees to stay despite most of us thinking he was off and adding to the good cheer is the unveiling of a new scoreboard that has been nicked from some roadworks on the M8.

To lighten the load on talismanic, but ageing and soon to be injured striker Steven Thompson three new forwards are brought in – a guy from the conference, a guy not good enough for a pish Hibs side with an attitude problem who is signed after a trial of one week and no games, and a rather rotund chap who somehow looks heavier after a few months training than lighter. He is signed after a scoring spree in trial games against the Dog and Duck XI reserves and Jossy’s Giants – the fans concerned he'll do a Paul Ritchie if we don't sign him.

We reclaim the Renfrewshire Cup. Huzzah!

We fail to score in the first four league games of the season and lose the first five. In amongst it we almost get knocked out the cup by a woeful League One side and are rescued by a striker scoring a double. Said striker is rewarded by barely featuring again. The same game sees Thompson rushed back from injury, he gets injured again and is out for months.

Rather than take advantage of Aberdeen being knackered by playing too many games in Europe we kindly agree to shift the game to a spell when we’re in the middle of a busy period and will thus be knackered.

At a Q&A the chairman calls fans questioning just WTF is going on “knickerwetters”. Oh how wrong they were...

We finally get off the mark with a late win over Partick. This caps a good day for the new manager because, as an old man, he probably voted no in the referendum.

We have a decent spell during which we are unlucky to lose to Celtic, salvage a draw with Aberdeen and beat St Johnstone.

Sadly, this as good as it gets and the next few games are a disaster. The goals dry up, we lose to 10 men and are humped by Hamilton.

Craig, instead of trying to win over the fans and media, seems to go out of his way to annoy them with his comments.

A fiery AGM sees the board criticised and plenty of questions asked of the manager who comes up with some ridiculous replies. At one point he waves about a bit of paper claiming it has names of players he tried to sign in the summer. We never find out who is on it. Messi? Higdon? The deadly pairing of milk and bread?

As the pishness continues, Craig is sacked less than a fortnight after being given the board's backing at the AGM. Chairman buggers off on holiday.

Former captain Jim Goodwin who was made a coach is demoted, no doubt thanks to two ridiculous suspensions. In fairness he then cleans up his act.

Gary Teale, a popular player with shiny teeth and a pet pig, is put in charge along with David Longwell - a youth coach with no playing experience. A heavy defeat to Celtic is expected and is followed by an unlucky defeat to Motherwell and a win over a rank Dundee side with a teenager becoming an internet sensation with a wonder goal.

Talk of a takeover rumbles on in the background. An English consortium want to bring in former Liverpool man David Thompson as manager. He knows nothing about it, then changes his tune 24 hours later. It then emerges one of the guys involved is a convicted fraudster – but the board knew this six months ago. Buying consortium then accuses the board of leaking the Thompson stuff to the press – although it could have been them trying to fund the takeover by putting big bets on him being the next manager.

Willie Collum’s Flying Circus ensure a New year’s defeat to Kilmarnock and it’s followed up with a loss to Dundee.

Teale makes his first signing – a striker our relegation rivals didn’t want. Smashing. He’s (wrongly) sent off on his debut against his old team but we win thanks to a flying melon/Mallan.

New striker is sent off again, there are some duff performances and a draw with Dundee United.

Most of the former manager’s signings are binned or disappear in a style reminiscent of Stalinist Russia. One of them ends up in Scottish football's version of Siberia by signing for Morton.

After dragging things on for more than a month and saying they want a wheeler dealer the board once again go for the cheap option by appointing teal. No experienced assistant is forthcoming - mainly because Longwell can wear Lennon's training gear. Results have hardly improved and most of the transfer window has passed.

Another new signing is made and James Dayton has a rather better debut, scoring after six minutes. We then shut up shop for the night, repel what a pish Partick team fling at us and have a clean sheet at last.

Argentinian takeover is apparently concluded, except it’s not. So that’s that cleared up. Nothing dodgy here at all, St Mirren are big in Argentina with the offspring of guys who didn’t bother coming back from World Cup 78.

McLean is sold for way below his market value on deadline day as the club once again bends over and takes one from Aberdeen. Pish about a gentleman’s agreement is spouted.

Transfer business seemingly concludes with two more signings. Both still waiting for their first starts and they’re now struggling to make the bench.

A friendly sees us lose to a soccerball team who literally have never played together before.

Return to action with shitey defeat to Caley Thistle and a gubbing by Aberdeen. But hey, the St Mirren home for football’s waifs and strays has another resident in the shape of Alan Gow, who hasn’t played for over a year. Smashing.

The first signing of a centre-half since Cliff Richard was a boy helps us to our first home win of the season. We’re staying up!

Unfortunately we return to being shite while the other teams round about us finally get their arses in gear. We're not quite down but as good as out.

I wondered the other day if I’d boo the players and shout abuse at them the day we go down, but I reckon not. For the most part they’ve tried their best. The wasters have been sidelined. The majority aren’t good enough. Same goes for the manager. The problem lies squarely with the board.

From my perspective it stems back to the sheer joy some St.Mirren fans were showing when Dundee were in trouble. Now the rolls are reversed St.Mirren look like they are heading for the drop and may not be back for some time. So I am loving it got my dancing shoes all polished ready for dancing on the grave of St.Mirren!!!

in all seriousness have dundee fans enjoy this season better than lasts? let's face it for all teams out with the ugly sisters a cup win is all we can hope for. So obviously we all want to be in the top league but was a title winning/challenging season better. I'm not for one min saying we'll do this.

Yes, of course we have. Any football fan would prefer watching Dundee this season rather than last. My favourite game this season, we got beat 3-2 at home to Aberdeen. It was a fantastic game of football. We've scraped 1-0 wins which you take but you don't enjoy. We are literally light years ahead of what we were last season.

My favourite game this season was our 2-2 draw at home with United. A very young, inexperienced Jags team putting up a really good fight that day when we were expected to get pumped.

Much better than cruising to a home win against Dumbarton.

paisleysaints, on 22 Mar 2015 - 11:44, said:

Yeah I get the football being better obviously I'd agree I was more meaning the end goal.

Fighting it out for the top 6 is quite a bit better than most Dundee fans ever thought would be possible in our first season back.

I think some of the hate comes as a result of certain fans on here. St Mirren have/had a few guys who are pretty much only posting to wind people up. And they're pretty good at it, apparently.

It's the same with VT and Morton; there are genuinely fans of Champ/L1 teams that hate Morton purely because of him. Bizarre behaviour, really.

It seems utterly bizarre, to me anyway, that someone bases their opinion on a football club of several thousand fans, based on a few people who are a bit irritating on the internet. But that's just me.

It's the incessant booing.

BOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah I'll give you that, we do that a lot to be fair.

Archived