P&B's Top 40 Films of the 90s

Ludo*1

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a few movies I'd have liked to have seen drop out to see Grosse Point Blank take a spot in the 50. But then I'd need to see whatelse didn't make the list! Will we be getting a full list after the poll is finished?

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem.

18. Magnolia.

Magnolia_poster.jpg

Paul Thomas Anderson's masterpiece in my opinion.

''We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

If you've never seen this I thoroughly recommend you experience it. Brilliant tale. If you've not seen it, go into it with your eyes shut, the less you know about it the better!

Points Received: 33.

A great and irreplicable film, but not my favourite of its director's work. Much is made of the biblical ending but while it's certainly unexpected and original, I think it's also over-the-top and adds no particular value.

Pretty much go with Dom Dom, amazing film I love, but still just missed out on my 10.

Going through this, there's certainly a strong argument for the 90's being one of the most productive decades for cinema, certainly in Hollywood.

A great and irreplicable film, but not my favourite of its director's work. Much is made of the biblical ending but while it's certainly unexpected and original, I think it's also over-the-top and adds no particular value.

What would you say is your favourite? Had to be between that and There Will Be Blood. Boogie Nights is great and possibly has a lot of re-watch ability but as a film it's between this and TWBB.

For me though, TWBB can be a pretty pish film for the average viewer. Like Magnolia it's an 'experience' rather than an easy watch, but I think Magnolia can appeal more to the average Joe than TWBB can purely because some of the stories (biblical message aside) can be more relatable.

Probably talking nonsense here and not detailed my point at all well.

Would have The Master also above Magnolia personally.

Can't agree with that. Can understand TWBB, but The Master just doesn't reach near the heights for me despite another great performance by PSH.

I would actually have Magnolia as (excluding Inherent Vice because I've only seen it once) PTA's "worst" film my least favourite PTA film.

There Will Be Blood

Punch-Drunk Love

The Master

Boogie Nights

Hard Eight

Magnolia

Archived