Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

It's not about the risk of re-offending - it's the fact that footballers are role models in society.

Young people look up to and at times worship their team's best players. His crime has meant he should not be allowed that very privileged position in society.

Role models?! Seriously! What about Rock stars? By the same token they're "role models" yet nobody bats an eye at their misdemeanors such as drug taking etc....

He's served his time for his crime I believe and the football industry isn't one barred from re-entry for his particular crime therefore your "should not be allowed" arguement is invalid.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This the same social media that was outing the wrong people for the Boston bombing? That outed the old tory as a paedo with zero evidence?

No.

Create rules, apply them. Leave mob justice to people kicking paediatricians out of town.

Again, I don't disagree.

Public opinion can be horribly wrong at times - but that doesn't mean it's wrong in this instance (obviously it's a matter of opinion). I much prefer social media campaigns to that of the old media, and with this one I'm taking the side of the campaign. Rico nailed it with his point about taking your daughter to get his signature.

Legislating is definitely not the answer.

Id disagree, obviously on the pitch, but off it, You'll have women in all positions throughout the club.

Not to mention they're trying to make football a more family oriented sport.

Could you imagine showing up to a in store signing with your daughter and its Ched Evans sitting behind the desk.

f**k that

If he's still deemed a danger to society he should still be in prison. Besides anyone that uses a professional football as a "role model" for their children should probably deserve a visit from Social Services.

So what "should" society deem acceptable for Ched Evans do for a living if professional football is out of bounds?

They are generally a bunch of spoilt c&nts. If they are role models then Evans is the least of our worries, people can see him for what he is. John Terry, Ashley Cole, Leigh Griffiths....etc etc

Yep, and whenever their antics come to light they are rightly castigated. When they commit a crime there is further grief for them to deal with.

This is a very serious crime that he's been convicted of and is far worse then Messrs Griffiths, Cole and Terry have got up to (as far as I know).

If he's still deemed a danger to society he should still be in prison. Besides anyone that uses a professional football as a "role model" for their children should probably deserve a visit from Social Services.

So what "should" society deem acceptable for Ched Evans do for a living if professional football is out of bounds?

Any job that's not in the public eye, or in a unique position of trust and influence (social work, teaching etc).

To answer your earlier point I'd have no problem with him coming and servicing my heating. It's not about his risk of re-offending.

Also, parents rarely get to choose the role models for their kids.

High profile footballers are role models. They just are.

Yep, and whenever their antics come to light they are rightly castigated. When they commit a crime there is further grief for them to deal with.

This is a very serious crime that he's been convicted of and is far worse then Messrs Griffiths, Cole and Terry have got up to (as far as I know).

Where do you draw the line? Rape? Drink driving? Infidelity? Murder? Drug dealing?

What industries? Professional football? Rugby? Darts? Journalism? Banker? Politician? Doctor?

Far too grey an area for any workable laws to be passed in Parliament.

Any job that's not in the public eye, or in a unique position of trust and influence (social work, teaching etc).

To answer your earlier point I'd have no problem with him coming and servicing my heating. It's not about his risk of re-offending.

What about the young apprentice plumber that Ched Evans was the "Journeyman" to? Would he not be a "role model"?

Should Tony Adams have been allowed back to not only play professional football but captain his Country after serving time in prison for drink driving?

Where do you draw the line? Rape? Drink driving? Infidelity? Murder? Drug dealing?

What industries? Professional football? Rugby? Darts? Journalism? Banker? Politician? Doctor?

Far too grey an area for any workable laws to be passed in Parliament.

Each case has to be looked at individually. There is no suggestion that any of this should be law.

It's up to the clubs (and their fans and sponsors) to decide. The public get to have a say though.

Each case has to be looked at individually. There is no suggestion that any of this should be law.

It's up to the clubs (and their fans and sponsors) to decide. The public get to have a say though.

Thus rendering it unworkable and open to Legal appeal. If it's not Law then who decided?

Should the Clubs be allowed to abandon habius corpus if it suits their wishes?!

What about the young apprentice plumber that Ched Evans was the "Journeyman" to? Would he not be a "role model"?

Should Tony Adams have been allowed back to not only play professional football but captain his Country after serving time in prison for drink driving?

A plumber may be a role model to one (or a few) apprentices, not thousands of fans.

And I don't think a convicted drink driver would now be allowed to captain England - but a lot has changed in the last 15-20 years (both in relation to public opinion/campaigns, and also in relation to how crimes against women are viewed (and for that matter drink driving)).

There are plenty of 'what about this...' and 'what about that...' examples and that's why each individual case should be examined. I reckon of this was the early 90s then Evans would be back playing - but it's not. I personally think this is one change that is for the better.

I wonder how lucky Phil Taylor is feeling considering he seems to have got off very lightly considering his conviction (although again the two cases were by no means identical).

Thus rendering it unworkable and open to Legal appeal. If it's not Law then who decided?

Should the Clubs be allowed to abandon habius corpus if it suits their wishes?!

He doesn't have a right to play football. Clubs get to choose who they employ and if he's already under contract then any crime will be enough for them to cancel said contract if they so wish.

Exactly and Dee Man's counter that many folk wouldn't admit their guilt just suggests that loads of people are opportunistic creeps with worrying views.

Good lord :1eye

"NotThePars not admitting his necrophilia guilt just suggests that he's an opportunistic creep with worrying views".

Still waiting, by the way.

He doesn't have a right to play football. Clubs get to choose who they employ and if he's already under contract then any crime will be enough for them to cancel said contract if they so wish.

Unless they're Sheffield Utd or Oldham Athletic it seems......

A plumber may be a role model to one (or a few) apprentices, not thousands of fans.

And I don't think a convicted drink driver would now be allowed to captain England - but a lot has changed in the last 15-20 years (both in relation to public opinion/campaigns, and also in relation to how crimes against women are viewed (and for that matter drink driving)).

There are plenty of 'what about this...' and 'what about that...' examples and that's why each individual case should be examined. I reckon of this was the early 90s then Evans would be back playing - but it's not. I personally think this is one change that is for the better.

I wonder how lucky Phil Taylor is feeling considering he seems to have got off very lightly considering his conviction (although again the two cases were by no means identical).

What about the client or main contractors he would be (for instance) be working as a plumber for/on their site?

Why would it be right for the paying public as supporters to object watching him work as a footballer but me for instance as a project manager be lumbered with a convicted rapist on my site working as a plumber?

Public eye or not there's hypocriscy in your arguement.

What about the client or main contractors he would be (for instance) be working as a plumber for/on their site?

Why would it be right for the paying public as supporters to object watching him work as a footballer but me for instance as a project manager be lumbered with a convicted rapist on my site working as a plumber?

Public eye or not there's hypocriscy in your arguement.

I don't think it's hypocrisy. I believe he has the right to start afresh once he's done his time.

I just believe there are certain jobs that he shouldn't be allowed to do, and this includes jobs where he is a public figure, and a role model for young people.

I concede that it's by no means a black or white issue.

But you seem to be now arguing that he shouldn't be allowed to be, say, a plumber?

Unless they're Sheffield Utd or Oldham Athletic it seems......

Sheffield united decided to back down and not offer him a contract.

This decision was down to pressure from a; their fans, b; their sponsors, c; the public, and d; the media.

There's a lot of overlap between these 4 groups but surely you're not saying that he should have a right to play football professionally?

I've conceded that public campaigns like this are not always right, but in this case I think it is.

Here we go again, the misandrists and manginas wibbling forth from their pit of anti-male bigotry. Pathetic.

A quality contribution.

Am I anti-male? No. I am however anti-rapist.

You've got previous on this issue and I'm a bit concerned for your views regarding women.

A quality contribution.

Am I anti-male? No. I am however anti-rapist.

You've got previous on this issue and I'm a bit concerned for your views regarding women.

Yes, I've got 'previous' for standing up for the perception and treatment of men. Thanks for your concern, but I'm fine and have healthy relationships with women.

Unfortunately, your posts here and elsewhere suggest you are a classic gullible and/or willfully ignorant modern misandrist and mangina. Seek enlightenment for your own good ;)

Archived